"Snoke is using you for your power. When he gets what he wants, he'll crush you."

Exodus

What does Snoke want? And why would he crush Kylo Ren once he has it?

As we know dark side users in the movies we've seen so far, even if it's only the Sith, they never work alone. Does this mean Snoke would be willing to work without somebody like Kylo Ren beneath him once he gets what he wants? That would depend on exactly what he's after.

What could it be?

1) Nothing. Han was making a desperate pitch to sell his son on the idea that he needed to put a stop to what he was doing, so he pulled an Obi-Wan and told it to him from a certain point of view. However there is no evidence that Han is making **** up, so it's easier to assume that there is some truth to what he tells his son.

2) Full strength. As we see him in Episode VII, he looks horrible. Weak, frail, and as the actor who portrays him puts it, vulnerable. Kylo Ren is the closest Snoke can come to getting **** done that he needs to get done by the means a dark side user would use (mind probing, lightsaber impaling, etc). Once he recovers to a certain point, maybe he won't need Kylo Ren (or anyone beneath him with force abilities) anymore. So maybe all Snoke wants is time to get to full strength from whatever left him looking like a burn victim with head scars that rival Anakin's.

3) The elimination of the Jedi and the resistance. Once all exterior threats have been neutralized, Snoke turns to the closest thing he has left to a threat - Kylo Ren, the only one left at that point who would be powerful enough to stop Snoke if he ever turned against him.

4) Rey, which is the most interesting option. If what you say about this girl is true, bring her to me. Yes Kylo Ren, bring her to him - so that he can replace you with her, because she's powerful as hell. Maybe that's why Snoke wants her. Maybe that explains Kylo Ren's interest in her all along, and his suggestion to her about training her. Maybe that's why she appears to be so quick to pick up on things. Maybe that's why she was tucked away someplace by herself. She's obviously central to the story, but maybe she's an even bigger deal than they've let on yet. Maybe as powerful as Anakin, or more. So if that's what (or who) Snoke wants, then he'd crush Kylo Ren or have her crush him once he has her.

Any other ideas?

Sure - but it still leaves the question of whether he has somebody else in mind for said heavy lifting, or if he has a goal to reach which will eliminate the need for heavy lifting. If he's something other than a Sith, maybe he does't need an apprentice once he achieves his goals.

Sure - but it still leaves the question of whether he has somebody else in mind for said heavy lifting, or if he has a goal to reach which will eliminate the need for heavy lifting. If he's something other than a Sith, maybe he does't need an apprentice once he achieves his goals.

Question is-- is Snoke a Ren. If so, why is he not called a Ren? But we know there are at least 5 other Rens out there... unles Luke killed them already.

Snoke called Kylo Ren the "master of the Knights of Ren" which leads me to believe that Snoke himself is not one of them. If he was, then he'd be the master. I think the Knights of Ren were a group inside Lukes Jedi school that Kylo started. When Snoke turned Kylo, the rest went with him. Maybe the others weren't as far along in their training as Kylo and are off being trained by Snoke during the events of TFA, which is why they aren't around in the movie.

This all just has me wondering more and more about who the Knights of Ren actually are, and what they're defining purpose is.

I had a thought that they were to powerful Siths, or maybe a single powerful Sith or dark side user (Snoke), what Ozymandias was at one point to Apocalypse in the X-Men comics - caretakers, while their master(s) are in some weakened or dormant state or condition. This would make them responsible for many tasks, like clearing the way for their masters eventual return to prominence, existence or power; perhaps also cataloging pertinent historical events that have taken place while those whom they serve have been out of the loop. Maybe the Knights of Ren simply exist to pave the way for Snoke as he, vulnerable and weak as we see him now, rebuilds his power base through such things as the First Order and the elimination of the resistance and the final Jedi, Luke.

This all just has me wondering more and more about who the Knights of Ren actually are, and what they're defining purpose is.

I had a thought that they were to powerful Siths, or maybe a single powerful Sith or dark side user (Snoke), what Ozymandias was at one point to Apocalypse in the X-Men comics - caretakers, while their master(s) are in some weakened or dormant state or condition. This would make them responsible for many tasks, like clearing the way for their masters eventual return to prominence, existence or power; perhaps also cataloging pertinent historical events that have taken place while those whom they serve have been out of the loop. Maybe the Knights of Ren simply exist to pave the way for Snoke as he, vulnerable and weak as we see him now, rebuilds his power base through such things as the First Order and the elimination of the resistance and the final Jedi, Luke.

Well from what Leia says, it seems like Snoke was around before Kylo Ren turned to the darkside. But I like the idea that if Luke has removed the Sith from the equation then somebody who was either in hiding, or not as powerful is able to rise up unnoticed.

Guest El Chalupacabra

My theory of Snoke is that he was a darksider that attempted to take on Luke and lost. Luke assumed he was dead. Realizing that he couldn't take on Luke a second time, Snoke then corrupted Kylo Ren (both to use him for his power and as revenge against Luke for defeating him)and a few others to form the Knights of Ren, who in turn destroyed Luke's Jedi Order. This would be another example of how Kylo Ren is the inverse of Luke. Yoda, and Obi Wan basically did the same thing with Luke against the Emperor and Vader, minus the revenge motive.

I also still think Luke is training Jedi on that island. Seems like the first Jedi Temple would be a pretty good place to train Jedi, right?

It's an even better place to bury Jedi. If you look closely at Luke's feet there's what looks like a tombstone. His Jedi wife, perhaps? Rey having two Jedi parents would seem to make her more powerful than one. Could explain a few things.

My theory of Snoke is that he was a darksider that attempted to take on Luke and lost. Luke assumed he was dead. Realizing that he couldn't take on Luke a second time, Snoke then corrupted Kylo Ren (both to use him for his power and as revenge against Luke for defeating him)and a few others to form the Knights of Ren, who in turn destroyed Luke's Jedi Order. This would be another example of how Kylo Ren is the inverse of Luke. Yoda, and Obi Wan basically did the same thing with Luke against the Emperor and Vader, minus the revenge motive.

This is my favorite theory, and the direction I'd prefer. I just wish they hadn't made Snoke so obviously OLD. Only 30 years since ROTJ and he seems like he'd have been into darkness much longer than that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.