RESPECT MY APOLOGAH!

Pong Messiah

A couple months ago I was driving down a street, probably a little too fast. To be fair, the flow of traffic on this street is generally 15 above the speed limit and I didn't want to be the a-hole to hold everybody up.

So when my turn came up I took it way too fast. I didn't lose control or anything-- but my tires screeched a tiny bit. But all was good.

This guy was walking his dogs across said street-- and I saw him clearly. He wasn't quite to the corner yet, but I was aware of where he was and I was no where near him or his dog.

As I drove along I could hear him screaming at me. And, unfortunately, it took the wrong turn and this street was a dead end so I had to turn around. This guy was walking up the middle of the street so I couldn't pass him and he was livid, screaming at me about how I almost killed him.

I rolled down my window, and even though I knew I was nowhere near him, I apologized and tried to explain. I took full responsibility and apologized. But he didn't want my apology. He wanted me to know how terrible of a human being I was and was screaming at the top of his lungs how I almost killed him and how I was a schmuck. (who says schmuck?)

He was so animated I started to actually doubt myself-- did I maybe actually almost hit him? I really had to think about it-- but I was confident that I didn't. So when he refused to move out of my way OR accept my apology I started to get really mad. He eventually moved and I left, but man-- people who don't accept apologies don't deserve them.

Some people just want to be mad. I can think of half a dozen times when I've done something wrong-- like bump into somebody in a crowd, or snake a parking spot... and I have no problem apologizing and trying to make amends if I was the dick. That parking spot incident, I moved my car, dude got the spot, and still wanted to yell at me about it. When I yelled back and asked him what his problem really was, he started crying and ran off.

So what I'm saying... is that I hate people.

Agreed...

That said, your scenarios sound reasonable -- you did something not intending to harm anybody, but you understood why the other person might be upset, and tried to let them know it was 1) your mistake, and 2) you weren't trying to wreck their day.

I'd say in all the cases you describe, the person who wants to keep yelling after the fact is clearly the one at fault.

Regarding the news story, key difference is I don't see how somebody could accidentally deck another person in the eye... but even if it was inadvertent, there's no need to re-punch that person when they don't accept your apology.

In that case, I'd say the apologizer is clearly the one at fault!

I stole a parking spot at work on one of the last days before the holidays. The guy was sitting there and screwing around on his phone for God knows how long, so I thought he was waiting for someone, not a spot. So I turned into the spot and he starts wailing on the horn, mind you, I put my blinker on for a good minute while the moron I got the spot from took his sweet time leaving. The guy had plenty of opportunity, but I think he was so engrossed in his phone that he really didn't notice me until I pulled in. If the guy had just put on a blinker or moved up an inch, I would've noticed and left. So of course I have to walk by this jerk and he just starts hollering and I said, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were waiting for that spot, and he just starts laying into me even more. So I just rolled my eyes and walked off. When I left for a meeting 5 minutes later, he was still waiting. It's a really remote part of the parking lot with not much regular turnover. Maybe try driving around a bit? I'm glad he has all day to sit around and wait for the perfect spot, but I sure don't.

Guest El Chalupacabra

A couple months ago I was driving down a street, probably a little too fast. To be fair, the flow of traffic on this street is generally 15 above the speed limit and I didn't want to be the a-hole to hold everybody up.

So when my turn came up I took it way too fast. I didn't lose control or anything-- but my tires screeched a tiny bit. But all was good.

This guy was walking his dogs across said street-- and I saw him clearly. He wasn't quite to the corner yet, but I was aware of where he was and I was no where near him or his dog.

As I drove along I could hear him screaming at me. And, unfortunately, it took the wrong turn and this street was a dead end so I had to turn around. This guy was walking up the middle of the street so I couldn't pass him and he was livid, screaming at me about how I almost killed him.

I rolled down my window, and even though I knew I was nowhere near him, I apologized and tried to explain. I took full responsibility and apologized. But he didn't want my apology. He wanted me to know how terrible of a human being I was and was screaming at the top of his lungs how I almost killed him and how I was a schmuck. (who says schmuck?)

He was so animated I started to actually doubt myself-- did I maybe actually almost hit him? I really had to think about it-- but I was confident that I didn't. So when he refused to move out of my way OR accept my apology I started to get really mad. He eventually moved and I left, but man-- people who don't accept apologies don't deserve them.

Some people just want to be mad. I can think of half a dozen times when I've done something wrong-- like bump into somebody in a crowd, or snake a parking spot... and I have no problem apologizing and trying to make amends if I was the dick. That parking spot incident, I moved my car, dude got the spot, and still wanted to yell at me about it. When I yelled back and asked him what his problem really was, he started crying and ran off.

Yeah, these days PEOPLE (there's people as in persons unknown to us but live in civil society, and then there's PEOPLE, as in unwashed a-holes unknown to us) don't want your apology. If PEOPLE feel you slighted them (justified or not), they want to vent, cuss you out, and tell you how much you inconvenienced them.

He wanted me to know how terrible of a human being I was and was screaming at the top of his lungs how I almost killed him and how I was a schmuck. (who says schmuck?)

Dude...sick Burn...Schmuck is Hebrew for the discarded piece of foreskin after a circumcision. (A Jewish friend told me that whether it's true or not..) so he got you good with that one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.