Did TFA diminish the significance of the previous Star Wars films?

Quetzalcoatl

I always saw midichlorians as another attempt by Lucas to modernize an older myth. It was a by-product of the prophecy/chosen-one stuff. He probably thought that the idea of Anakin being conceived directly from the force was too out there, so he invented midichlorians as a way to make it somewhat rational. My theory is that he figured having Anakin being the by-product of midichlorians would make the virgin birth theme an easier sell.

I always saw midichlorians as another attempt by Lucas to modernize an older myth. It was a by-product of the prophecy/chosen-one stuff. He probably thought that the idea of Anakin being conceived directly from the force was too out there, so he invented midichlorians as a way to make it somewhat rational. My theory is that he figured having Anakin being the by-product of midichlorians would make the virgin birth theme an easier sell.

I do not see how Anakin being conceived by the force is too out there in a series where select individuals have the power to use an unseen energy field to move objects with their minds, send telepathic messages (living or dead) and vanish into thin air at the point of death. The movie going world accepted GL's religious / fantasy mix from the start, and never required some juvenile, Trek-ian explanation that makes less sense than the OT's version of the force.

One can argue that the OT's force leaves room for Anakin's birth (in the magical / myth tradition) while blood tests / midichlorian levels say exactly what on how Shmi was impregnated?

I do not see how being conceived of the force is too out there in a series where select individuals have the power to use an unseen energy field to move objects with their minds, send telepathic messages (living or dead) and vanish into thin air at the point of death. The movie going world accepted GL's religious / fantasy mix from the start, and never required some juvenile, Trek-ian explanation that makes less sense than the OT's version of the force.

One can argue that the OT's force leaves room for Anakin's birth (in the magical / myth tradition) while blood tests / midichlorian levels say exactly what on how Shmi was impregnated.

Fair points. To echo Choc, the midichlorians were probably intended as a way of "cementing" the idea in the minds of fans, to remove any doubt and speculation regarding the prophecy and Anakin's paternity. Judging from all the wild theories that were floating around here in those days, Lucas's midichlorians apparently didn't have the desired effect, but I'm inclined to believe that this was the intent.

Okay I just saw ROTJ for the first time since seeing TFA and I gotta admit, the victory seemed empty. quatzlquotal is right....

Just kidding. The OT stands up on it's own just fine. Knowing the...ahem..'.empire strikes back' again in thirty years doesn't ruin it. Thirty years is a long ass time, and The fact it's a separate trilogy with different leads in the distant future makes it a different enough story to not affect it in any significant way. If it was five or even ten years after ROTJ with Han, Luke, and Leia as the leads I would feel differently.

A better example is WWI and WWII. If the Allies had finished punking Germany after the first war there wouldn't have been a second. The Rebel Alliance should have pressed their advantage and obliterated the Empire. Every vestige. That's not Luke's fault. He did his job.

A better example is WWI and WWII. If the Allies had finished punking Germany after the first war there wouldn't have been a second. The Rebel Alliance should have pressed their advantage and obliterated the Empire. Every vestige. That's not Luke's fault. He did his job.

That's not a really good example. The mistake was made in zealously punishing Germany after WWI, not in being too easy on them. No one was trying to take Germany, so all ignoring calls for an armistice would have done is slaughtered a lot of German soldiers at great expense to the Allies.

Best that can be said is that if the war had lasted longer, it might have blunted the notion that the German army was betrayed. But as long as Germany was being made to suffer, the seeds of authoritarianism were going to grow.

That's not a really good example. The mistake was made in zealously punishing Germany after WWI, not in being too easy on them. No one was trying to take Germany, so all ignoring calls for an armistice would have done is slaughtered a lot of German soldiers at great expense to the Allies.

Best that can be said is that if the war had lasted longer, it might have blunted the notion that the German army was betrayed. But as long as Germany was being made to suffer, the seeds of authoritarianism were going to grow.

Not if we had just killed ALL the Germans.

The First Order is Russia to the Empire's Soviet Union. Sure, we won the Cold War, but if Russia ever wanted to pull the trigger, there really isn't much we can do. And that seems to be a pretty analogous relationship, as the Republic seems to be in a form of peace with the FO until they're attacked.

Just because Hans Gruber died doesn't mean Die Hard 2 is a bad movie.

The First Order is Russia to the Empire's Soviet Union. Sure, we won the Cold War, but if Russia ever wanted to pull the trigger, there really isn't much we can do. And that seems to be a pretty analogous relationship, as the Republic seems to be in a form of peace with the FO until they're attacked.

That's a much better comparison. And pretty well fits in with the old EU structure. The Rebellion would pick off enough worlds in the days after the Battle of Endor to form a legit government. But not enough to completely destroy the Empire's hold on many other worlds.

It also reminds me that they should be called the Second Order.

Not if we had just killed ALL the Germans.

But then we'd be just as bad as them. Or some other cliche.

Actually, in truth, there really weren't any straight up good guys or bad guys in WWI. It was one of the dumber excuses for a war and never needed to be fought in the first place. All sides just wanted it to be over by the end of it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.