Snoke is...

Iceheart

I'm less interested in who Supreme Evil Imperial Leader Emperor Darth Snoke is than what his motivations are. We already know who he is. He's powerful, evil, and darkside. As long as he's not Luke or Jar Jar or something equally as stupid, I'm probably going to be fine with whoever he is. He's Plagieus? Fine. He's someone we've never seen before? Fine. he's a bodysbatching spirit or a force incubus? Fine.

I am interested, however, in how he got control of the first order, what his intentions are with it, why he wants Luke dead, more on the knights of Ren and how it relates to him, etc.

I don't know why they hired Andy Serkis.

Star Wars already had the top motion capture man in Ahmed Best.

I don't know why they hired him because he was sitting in a chair. His movement was so limited he didn't need mocap. Or, frankly, to be cgi.

It amuses me that people can't accept that he's a new character.

Because given how long he's been around, it makes him feel like a weak villain when compared to Palpatine and Vader.

It helps if you think of Star Wars villains as NHL goalies. At the top of your roster you have Palpatine as your veteran starter...your NHL elite, and possible future hall of famer. Backing him up was Dooku, but he only played half a season before being traded to the canadiens for Darth Vader, the future of the position. Vader is young, NHL proven, and has a ton of potential, more than even Palpatine, but doesn't have the experience yet so he's #2. The plan is to have Vader become your #1 after the aging Palpatine retires. Snoke is apparently in the system, presumably the starter on the minor league team DESPITE the fact he's about as old as Palpatine. Then...BAM! Thanks to Luke Skywalker, both your number #1 and #2 go down with career-ending injuries at the same time. No, you can't trade for another goalie; it's passed the trade deadline I guess. Your only option is to bring up Snoke as your #1 goaltender. He's been playing in the minors a long time, but never cracked the NHL lineup. He's never played a single game, making him completely unproven at the NHL level. This puts his talent level in question, and at the worst possible time because the playoffs are coming up.

I'm surprised you're not willing to entertain anything other than 100% certainty it's a new character.

I'm about 60% confident it's a new dude entirely (basically your stance). If it IS someone we already know, my bet is on Plagieus (I know, I know...you hate this), 30% chance. The remaining 10% is someone else we know, with some wierd twist.

There are some interesting theories to support Snoke=Plagieus. I wouldn't be unhappy if he was.

It could be an overarching thing that could really work for the franchise dealing with the creator of the menace. I dunno.

Taking bold statements and predictions out of your consciousness for the moment. Would you accept it if it was true?

Also... Do you think it's possible that Snoke was meant to be Plagiues, but due to fan speculation it could change?

It amuses me that people can't accept that he's a new character.

Because given how long he's been around, it makes him feel like a weak villain when compared to Palpatine and Vader.

It helps if you think of Star Wars villains as NHL goalies. At the top of your roster you have Palpatine as your veteran starter...your NHL elite, and possible future hall of famer. Backing him up was Dooku, but he only played half a season before being traded to the canadiens for Darth Vader, the future of the position. Vader is young, NHL proven, and has a ton of potential, more than even Palpatine, but doesn't have the experience yet so he's #2. The plan is to have Vader become your #1 after the aging Palpatine retires. Snoke is apparently in the system, presumably the starter on the minor league team DESPITE the fact he's about as old as Palpatine. Then...BAM! Thanks to Luke Skywalker, both your number #1 and #2 go down with career-ending injuries at the same time. No, you can't trade for another goalie; it's passed the trade deadline I guess. Your only option is to bring up Snoke as your #1 goaltender. He's been playing in the minors a long time, but never cracked the NHL lineup. He's never played a single game, making him completely unproven at the NHL level. This puts his talent level in question, and at the worst possible time because the playoffs are coming up.

I'm surprised you're not willing to entertain anything other than 100% certainty it's a new character.

I'm about 60% confident it's a new dude entirely (basically your stance). If it IS someone we already know, my bet is on Plagieus (I know, I know...you hate this), 30% chance. The remaining 10% is someone else we know, with some wierd twist.

Him being obviously old enough to have been around in the OT annoys the crap out of me. But the likely hood he is secretly somebody we've heard of before is so low, I'm MORE annoyed by people who insist upon conspiracies for anything they can't explain.

Do you think it's possible that Snoke was meant to be Plagiues, but due to fan speculation it could change?

To me-- the odds of Lucasfilm deciding to make that deep of a connection to the PT are so low that it doesn't even enter the realm of possibility.

Do you think it's possible that Snoke was meant to be Plagiues, but due to fan speculation it could change?

To me-- the odds of Lucasfilm deciding to make that deep of a connection to the PT are so low that it doesn't even enter the realm of possibility.

...with this exception - Luke and Leia die, Kylo Ren dies, and then Rey and Snoke/Plagueis kill each other to cap off this trilogy. Arguably, a fitting end to the entire Skywalker story arc for the final Skywalker left alive to destroy the individual who used the Force to start this whole mess in the first place.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't know why they hired Andy Serkis.

Star Wars already had the top motion capture man in Ahmed Best.

I don't know why they hired him because he was sitting in a chair. His movement was so limited he didn't need mocap. Or, frankly, to be cgi.
Name recognition and maybe to have yet another actor from lotr films in star wars to attract the younger crowd?

I'd say its more likely Snoke wasn't meant to be Plagieus but they might change it due to fan speculation. (I highly doubt it either way but more likely to be the other way around)

Or the exact opposite. Tease the idea of Plagieus in TFA (similar music, supreme leader is "wise", etc.) and see if the stench of the PT has worn off yet.

I'd say its more likely Snoke wasn't meant to be Plagieus but they might change it due to fan speculation. (I highly doubt it either way but more likely to be the other way around)

Or the exact opposite. Tease the idea of Plagieus in TFA (similar music, supreme leader is "wise", etc.) and see if the stench of the PT has worn off yet.

I don't think it would be fair to hammer the sequel trilogy if it borrowed from the prequel trilogy, especially pertaining to a character only mentioned by name thus far within the context of the movies.

Neither do I. In fact, despite me disliking the prequels as a whole, the opera scene in ROTS where Plagieus is mentioned is fantastic. It added depth to the films by adding a story WITHIN the story...and it was VERY well executed by Ian Mcdiarmid. This scene was so great, I bet Lucas had nothing to do with it and probably fought against putting it in the movie. If there were ever a tie-in to the prequels, this should be it.

Unfortunately, i think the vast majority of fans would probably disagree, because the very scent of the prequels makes them angry and want no trace of it in these new movies ever.

I don't think it's that as much as ... it's a name mentioned in passing 4 movies prior. It's just stupid. Literally. Nobody knows who this dude is. You could shout the name Plagious or whatever it is in a crowded room of SW fans and maybe 3 would know what you're talking about. Beyond a vocal minority nobody knows or cares.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.