Who is scarier to you: Trump or Cruz?

Pong Messiah

• 2 weeks later...

Awww... thanks guys :blush:

This thread was somewhat prophetic in a sense- given that the big story over the past week has been the GOP establishment's reluctant move towards support of Trump over Cruz, summarized in this article here. Even 538, who has been adamantly anti-Trump over the past year (and unfortunately has let it color their 'objective, data-based' analysis), is begrudgingly admitting this.

What's interesting is that the establishment would be willing to support a candidate that is simply at odds with some of their economic interests- Trump's views on a host of issues, such as support for single-payer, raising taxes, and tariffs on China, are all non-starters with the establishment. In contrast, Cruz's views on economics are much closer to the establishment mainstream. Fascinating that the establishment is willing to give a little on ideology, if it means preventing Cruz. They must dislike him that much.

Or alternatively, they are just acting pragmatically and coming to the same conclusions I did on the previous page- Trump, for all his bluster, may be willing at the end of the day, to come to the negotiating table with the establishment, whereas Cruz will not.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think it is going to come down to Trump VS Hillary. But you never know: Jeb Bush was a favorite this time last year. So, here's my predictions:

If Trump VS Hillary, then President Hillary by narrow but decisive margin (IE no recount will help).

If Trump VS Sanders, then President Trump handily.

If Cruz VS Hillary, then President Hillary by a wide margin.

If Cruz VS Sanders, then President Sanders, by narrow margin.

I hear that at the next debate, Hillary Clinton is going to demonstrate her new invention, the Murder Bird, on an opponent. She will be declared the winner of the debate by CNN, despite her silencing of O'Malley's criticisms with the Murder Bird, and there will be almost no coverage except on social media.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Chalup, what about the polls that show Bernie beating trump head to head by a much wider margin than Clinton beats trump?

Mind you I am not supporting Trump at all, I just think Sanders is going to have a lot tougher a time in a general election than the polls indicate. Nothing scientific, just a gut feeling. Up to this point, neither have debated each other, nor has Trump really even touched his own money. Right now, Sanders benefits from being "Not Hillary," and hasn't had anything in the media yet to make people hate him. If he gets the nomination, there will be a whole new world of scrutiny Sanders will have to face. If Trump runs against Sanders, I think Trump will out demagogue Sanders, and his money can and will buy investigations to smear Sanders, lots of airtime, and lots of attack add time.

Chalup, what about the polls that show Bernie beating trump head to head by a much wider margin than Clinton beats trump?

I don't think the polls are that meaningful at this time. A lot more unknowns than usual. Trump is getting way more comfortable debating, but can he overcome that lost-at-sea/"can we pleeeeease move on to a different topic?" look that happens whenever foreign policy is discussed? And who is he gonna pick as his running mate? If it's Kasich, will that shore up Ohio and allow some of the more moderate/"establishment" conservatives and conservative Democrats (yes, there are still a few) to hold their nose and vote for him, or will a calculated move like that paint him as "just another politician," and lose some luster with the anti-establishment crowd? Will he finally have that "foot in mouth" moment that dooms him, or will it just make him more popular?

With the American public, Bernie Sanders (like Trump) is mostly an idea now. IMO, his biggest issues will be sticker shock, perceived ability to be effective against a Republican House and (most likely) Republican Senate, and that minorities don't seem particularly enthused by him. The minority issue, at least with Hispanic and Muslim voters, should correct some in a general election because of the "D" in front of his name, and because of some of Trump's comments and policy proposals, but will African-American voters care?

2016 will be interesting!

but will African-American voters care?

They care...enough to avoid Trump like the plague, especially after his 11/2015 re-tweet of patently false crime/race data from the nonexistent "Crime Statistics Bureau," which in typically thick-skulled manner, Trump ran with it, to guarantee he collects as many of the angry white base as possible. Additionally, his refusal to flat out say Obama is not a Muslim born in Kenya speaks volumes. In December, Lindsey Graham said 40% of Republican primary voters buy into that Obama/ brither BS, and that Trump continues to push that lie, so it is rather easy to understand why African Americans will not support someone who keeps the racial fires burning--whether he aims at the black population, or the first black president.

Oh, wait a second, former Clueless star / Fox News contributor Stacey Dash will vote for Trump, so I guess you can say The Donald has built a bridge....

lol

I'm not expecting him to have minority support, but not voting for Trump isn't the same as being energized enough to vote for Sanders, is it? At least in my lifetime, it's always a question of turnout, not who's getting the vote (because on that, there really is no question at this time).

Guys! Bloomberg may announce! Don't former NYC mayors get some sort of option to step in late.

I also really hope Bernie makes it past Hillary. Can you imagine the Trump Sanders debate? OMG! I will hear the word mooslum and the phrase keep America great twenty times because both have the repetitive speech pattern issue. Which is better than "pregnant pause" Cruz.

I also really hope Bernie makes it past Hillary. Can you imagine the Trump Sanders debate? OMG! I will hear the word mooslum and the phrase keep America great twenty times because both have the repetitive speech pattern issue. Which is better than "pregnant pause" Cruz.

I can't imagine either of them being good presidents, but compared to Clinton, Cruz, Bush, etc. does it even matter? And I would definitely tune in to Sanders/Trump debates!

Guest El Chalupacabra

There will be no indictment. Hillary probably deserves to be charged, but I am sure that there is some little known executive order that Obama can issue that is retroactive, and makes all it all go away. Failing that, there's always this where they can declassify the material. https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/executive-order-classified-national-security-information Not sure they can make it retroactive, but they can try I suppose.

lol

I'm not expecting him to have minority support, but not voting for Trump isn't the same as being energized enough to vote for Sanders, is it? At least in my lifetime, it's always a question of turnout, not who's getting the vote (because on that, there really is no question at this time).

Actually not voting for Trump does mean voting for Sanders--if he's the nominee. Sitting at home risks a Trump presidency, so minority voters have no choice but to support him...or they will have themselves to blame (to some degree) if a man who thinks the black president is a Muslim and tweets racist, false crime stats becomes the leader of the so-called free world.

Further, Sanders--whether he actually believes it or not--talks about Black Lives Matter, the militarization of the police (particularly in cities with heavy black populations), etc.--all the hottest issues in liberal/black America. That's likely enough of a political hook for those groups to go all in for Sanders.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Ted Cruz is going around bragging he can't have health insurance because of Obamacare...

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/latest-columns/20160122-ben-mathis-lilley-ted-cruz-brags-about-not-having-health-insurance.ece?cid=facebook_The_Dallas_Morning_News

Well, you ineffectual politician, why is it not repealled yet?

Because just like abortion, the GOP wants something to bitch about in perpetuity. In reality, they want Obamacare, too. It's good business, and good FOR business.

There are some good points about Trump being better than Cruz, but Trump, while probably not believing ANYTHING other than his own greatness, has shown a willingness to speak to and for those we like to pretend don't exist.

Also, similar to the Muslim Obama stuff... I'm not saying Trump is a child rapist, but he hasn't proven that he's never raped a child.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Hey, if underage groupies are good enough for David Bowie, Mick Jagger, or Jimmy Page, naked body paint vodka girls are good enough for the Donald.

Hey, if underage groupies are good enough for David Bowie, Mick Jagger, or Jimmy Page, naked body paint vodka girls are good enough for the Donald.

Let's not forget Ted Nugent. His underage booty calls were common knowledge in the 70s. Just don't remind the modern day conservatives that their bow-slinging hero Right Arrow also use to hunt teenage girls with the same zeal he now uses to hunt deer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.