Who is scarier to you: Trump or Cruz?

Pong Messiah

This isn't even a close contest. Cruz holds fairly typical conservative positions and has a Federalist Society's fidelity to the Constitution. One may not like his personality of positions, but the worst that can be said is that he actually believes the stuff that he peddles. If he were somehow elected president, the country would be just fine and would continue pretty much the same way it is now once he left office. Any policies that go too far undone by the next president.

Trump has strongman tendencies. He stokes anger and punishes his those critical of him. He gains a cult following by breaking the rules and acting outrageously. Simply as a private citizen, he's used his lawyers often enough to intimidate anyone who displeases him. Police powers in the hands of such a person is a scary thought. Our country runs on the goodwill of those in power towards the norms of precedent. Trump would shred through such niceties.

I take it back about Cruz needing a breather.

He's on TV now. Talking about... stuff. That guy. So disgusting.

OK, I just saw a clip of Cruz campaigning earlier today. His voice shrill, his statements punctuated with an angry crescendo -- and my first thought was "Damn, he sure sounds a lot like Hitler."

godwin invoked

clz thread plz

I know you hate Cruz, but come on, his manner of speaking and the actual sound is nothing like AH. AH was a memorable orator--effective even to those who resented him. On the other hand, Cruz is a strange mix of mid Texas twang and nasally droning.

...and he now has three states under his belt. He's coming for you, Pong.

God what a stupid comeback, if that's the case.

Drumpf could realistically morph into Trump over the generations, especially as accents change/are dropped (many family names do this).

Pretty sure Leibowitz didn't morph into Stewart.

People must be getting f-cking desperate if these are the new round of "attacks" against Trump.

Well, it IS just a weekly comedy show, he's not a candidate or anything. And Stewart is Jon's middle name. But , yeah.

It's just a stupid argument. In my family tree I've seen Heidt become Hite, Rognion become Runyan, and Radcliffe become Ratliff. I can totally see Drumpf becoming Trump.

• 1 month later...

This is obvious to anybody who's been paying attention to the election season on a deeper level than innarweb memes, yet I still find it hilarious:

Republican frontrunner Donald Trump’s convention czar reassured top party officials Thursday that the billionaire’s bombastic tactics are part of a calculated onstage role, the Associated Press reported.

What? His outlandish off-the-cuff comments have actually been calculated? He's been playing a role? I am shocked. SHOCKED, I say!

Yup.

What is shocking, perhaps even somewhat alarming, is how slow most pundits were to pick up on this. It was this odd combination of disbelief this could be happening (as if a pig literally started flying before their very eyes), finger pointing at GOP base members as if they had somehow caused this, then denial- that this was only a result of a power vacuum (really guys, any day now, Jeb will pull ahead, any day now!!!!!), and then of course, when all else failed, there was always good ol' racism (only a country as racist as the US could possibly produce a Trump, etc etc). It was like the 5 stages of grief or something.

Turns out it's really as simple as the guy who's spent decades making billions of $$ selling sh-t to people just might be pretty good at the whole persuasion thing.

Hindsight being 20/20 of course, but I feel the media was particularly slow on this one. I originally had the same opinion in the summer, but caught on around October-ish, and by November I was on the train. The first time I saw anyone even mention this was maybe early Dec, in the Washington Post article I posted on page 1 ("It’s not chaos. It’s Trump’s campaign strategy.").

Even then, I feel people didn't start to get it until spring, and probably a majority of folks out there (liberals especially) still don't get it.

Easy. Ignore social issues unless brought up and then take the liberal position quickly and quietly while saying as little as possible (like he did here).

Then change the subject as quickly as possible to trade, Mexico, or Islam (three positions where he may actually have a majority of the US backing him, even if people don't want to advertise it). Push that for a bit then talk about Clinton's vote for the Iraq War.

It all seems pretty obvious to me...

Cruz is FAR more dangerous than Trump. With Trump, it'd be pretty much the status quo plus some embarrassing gaffes. I could see him getting the US embroiled in another war through his own incompetence.

Cruz however... He would probably start World War III by deliberate action, because he believes it would bring Jesus back. There'd be no coming back from that.

Cruz however... He would probably start World War III by deliberate action, because he believes it would bring Jesus back. There'd be no coming back from that.

That's just Christian hating. For that matter, Cruz isn't even THAT big of a Christian, but stereotypes must go on I suppose. As foreign policy goes, Cruz is actually fairly measured for a conservative Republican and closer to the old school of looking out for America's interests.

Rubio was actually far more interventionist, hearkening back to to the George W. Bush days.

With Trump, it'd be pretty much the status quo plus some embarrassing gaffes. I could see him getting the US embroiled in another war through his own incompetence.

Trump's the type of cult of personality petty tyrant that's left South and Central American countries in ruins. He's petty, vindictive, and willing to use his power to hurt the people that damage his ego. It ain't just funny gaffes, that man should never be allowed into power. In fact, if he wins, they should just use his comments about riots at the Republican Convention if he doesn't win to impeach and remove him on the day he takes the oath if it comes to it.

IMO, Cruz is now basically irrelevant so he's become less scary than Trump.

I love the whining about how a "New York Liberal" is taking over the GOP, and the near-constant loop being played of Cruz talking about how Kasich needed to drop out cause he has no mathematical chance of winning.

Such a delightfully vile, hypocritical POS that Cruz.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Cruz is FAR more dangerous than Trump. With Trump, it'd be pretty much the status quo plus some embarrassing gaffes. I could see him getting the US embroiled in another war through his own incompetence.

I find Cruz more nauseating and repulsive than Trump, but really neither choice is good. It's a choice between a piece of crap and a turd. Not that Clinton is much of an alternative, either. Nor do I feel the Bern.

But on a personal level, Cruz just inspires dry heaves in me at a level even Trump doesn't. I hope Pong is right, and Cruz is irrelevant in terms of the presidential bid.

The one (albeit unlikely, maybe impossible?) hope I have is that at the the GOP doesn't nominate either Trump or Cruz, but picks Kasich or someone else more palatable.

Pong's not correct about Cruz being irrelevant. At least not yet. He'll have a tough couple of weeks, but once the northeast finishes voting, it's back to where he's strong. The question is whether the Trump acceptance starts to seep in. Really, it all comes down to whether Trump can nearly sweep California (and to a lesser extent, Indiana). It's unlikely Trump wins if he's not at least close to a majority of bound delegates.

And Cruz has been absolutely dominating in picking up delegates across the country. If it gets to a second ballot, he most likely wins then and there.

The one (albeit unlikely, maybe impossible?) hope I have is that at the the GOP doesn't nominate either Trump or Cruz, but picks Kasich or someone else more palatable.

It would be nice to put someone in there who isn't particularly controversial and just be a caretaker president for four years and set the government working correctly again after Bush and Obama's massive upheavals. Maybe we toss him out in four years, but it'd be good for the country just to sit back and let someone competent, like a Bush 41 back in the day, take the reins and stop making history every five minutes.

Seriously, we need a breather.

The question is whether the Trump acceptance starts to seep in.

Since NY (actually, slightly before), Fox News has gone from being passively anti-Trump in its presentation of the day's events to actively lukewarm. Meanwhile, CNN has gone from acting like he's this gross fart joke they are forced to cover due to ratings to treating him like a significant threat. IMO, that is significant seepage.

True, and it's happened before. The whole Never Trump thing tamped down on it for awhile. The thing is, there just aren't that many contests left and Trump needs to go without any significant upsets to hit his mark. If he stumbles at all, it'll be tough for him to get past the 1,200 delegate mark where I'd estimate he'd need to be to pick up enough delegates to avoid a second ballot.

Calling it a weekly comedy show is like Stewart himself pretending to be anything other than a pundit.

They're a new class, but these guys are more political pundits than comedians.

Somebody gets it.

This is obvious to anybody who's been paying attention to the election season on a deeper level than innarweb memes, yet I still find it hilarious:

Republican frontrunner Donald Trump’s convention czar reassured top party officials Thursday that the billionaire’s bombastic tactics are part of a calculated onstage role, the Associated Press reported.

What? His outlandish off-the-cuff comments have actually been calculated? He's been playing a role? I am shocked. SHOCKED, I say!

So basically politics is wrasslin' without the script?

Faker than wrestling, no question about it.

And at least kayfabe is not dead in politics.

That said, while I can't think of any national-level politician who I'd take at face (or heel heheh... heh) value as the person they are portraying, the consequences of politics are far more real than rasslin.' I don't want to sound like i'm coming off as one of those "Voting doesn't matter in any way, it's all pre-determined, blah blah blah" kinda peeps, cause it does matter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.