Who is scarier to you: Trump or Cruz?

Pong Messiah

Trump is by far the scariest. Egotistical blowhard clown.

Doesn't think he needs to know anything about anything right now because it's all going to change by the time he gets elected anyway. It's not like history has anything to do with the present. Besides, he has the whole 1st "orientation" term to figure out who golfs, who likes to sexually assault interns/aids, and all the other important stuff.

SOP is to personally attack all opponents and detractors (especially on appearance) while simultaneously crying about not being treated with the respect he so obviously deserves.

Most of the Trump drones I talk to say the same thing, "He isn't one of those politicians (Can I get a Hallelujah?). You know, the guys that put the interests of Big Business and lobbyists in front of ours". Their brilliant solution? Cut out the middle man.

What happened to Webb? This whole field is a damned scary joke.

What happened to Webb?

They **** themselves when he smiled while talking about killing that guy, then told him to go to the Republican party where he belongs.

It's a damn shame, as he is the only one of all the candidates I genuinely liked: clearly on the left socially, but not at all beholden to identity politics; economically to the left on issues of poverty relief and worker pay/rights, but not a class warrior or "Hey, let's make new government programs for every conceivable economic issue just because it's what I do."

But in the end, he looked (and talked) too much like a Sontaron to be electable. Bums me out. I know that even if he were likable, he's too moderate or right-leaning to survive a Democratic primary, and too moderate or left-leaning to ever survive a Republican primary, but I bet he'd do great in a general election!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

OK, I just saw a clip of Cruz campaigning earlier today. His voice shrill, his statements punctuated with an angry crescendo -- and my first thought was "Damn, he sure sounds a lot like Hitler."

godwin invoked

clz thread plz

Maybe Cruz has a mysterious teacher who stands in the shadows, like Mr. Vollmer.

• 2 weeks later...

lol

Yeah, a lot of dumb people with megaphones in the cesspool of social media. I like it, though. If you ever want to feel better about yourself, just spend a few moments on Twitter or flip through some random feminist tumblr screeds and you'll leave with a spring in your step.

That said, Twitter is a playground for those whose tastes, opinions, emotions, and sense of self are too lightweight to handle anything deeper than vapid sloganeering. I am required to use it, but hate it, and do not have a personal account. (I do not have a blog, but there are some very clever tumblrites out there, so I don't want to paint too broad a brush there).

I have mixed emotions about Facebook, but do use it with a personal account. During normal business hours it is about:

22.5% Personal Updates -- "OMG I can't believe what just happened at the grocery store!"

22.5% Movie/Pop Culture/Retro References (heavy on SF/Fantasy)

22.5% Cute Animals (heavy on cats, goats, and Llamas)

22.5% Ranting About Conservatives -- "Y R Republicans, Christians, Hunters, Gun Owners SOOOO EVILDUMB!!!"

10% "Other"

But omg, it has become wall-to-wall Trump/Drumpf hysteria in the last few days. So amazing! I love it!

John Oliver thinks that if he gets enough people to call Trump by his ancestral name, Trump's "spell" over the American people will somehow be broken. As if his very name has Mr. Mxyzptlk or Voldemort qualities. Doesn't make sense to me -- I thought it was the right who were suckers for superstition and fairy tales -- but Oliver's followers have been dutifully bleating "Drumpf" at every opportunity since Sunday evening!

It's just a jab at Trump because HE had tweeted that Jon Stewart must not be "proud of his heritage" because he doesn't use his last name, Leibowitz. Oliver found that Trump's family name is actually Drumpf, not Trump, and made a number of suppositions about what makes the sound "drumpf", before wondering aloud why Trump doesn't use his family name. Tit for tat and so on.

God what a stupid comeback, if that's the case.

Drumpf could realistically morph into Trump over the generations, especially as accents change/are dropped (many family names do this).

Pretty sure Leibowitz didn't morph into Stewart.

People must be getting f-cking desperate if these are the new round of "attacks" against Trump.

Drumpf could realistically morph into Trump over the generations, especially as accents change/are dropped (many family names do this).

People must be getting f-cking desperate if these are the new round of "attacks" against Trump.

LOL ya think?

And MG, sorry, but you are wrong. It's more than a simple "tit-for-tat" exchange:

"The very name Trump is the cornerstone of his brand," said Oliver. "If only there were a way to uncouple that magical word from the man he really is...well, guess what? There is."

Oliver then pointed out the fact that - according to Gwenda Blair, the author of the book The Trumps: Three Generations That Built an Empire - the family's surname was originally Drumpf, a decidedly less-regal moniker.
"Stop and take a moment to imagine how you would feel if you just met a guy named Donald Drumpf - a litigious serial liar with a string of broken business ventures," Oliver continued. "Would you think he would make a good president or is the spell now somewhat broken?"
Oliver then unveiled the hashtag #MakeDonaldDrumpfAgain, and a new website that sells "Make Donald Drumpf Again" hats. The show also programmed a plug-in for Google Chrome that changes the word "Trump" to "Drumpf" in articles and online searches.

This isn't even a close contest. Cruz holds fairly typical conservative positions and has a Federalist Society's fidelity to the Constitution. One may not like his personality of positions, but the worst that can be said is that he actually believes the stuff that he peddles. If he were somehow elected president, the country would be just fine and would continue pretty much the same way it is now once he left office. Any policies that go too far undone by the next president.

Trump has strongman tendencies. He stokes anger and punishes his those critical of him. He gains a cult following by breaking the rules and acting outrageously. Simply as a private citizen, he's used his lawyers often enough to intimidate anyone who displeases him. Police powers in the hands of such a person is a scary thought. Our country runs on the goodwill of those in power towards the norms of precedent. Trump would shred through such niceties.

Well, it IS just a weekly comedy show, he's not a candidate or anything. And Stewart is Jon's middle name. But , yeah.

Calling it a weekly comedy show is like Stewart himself pretending to be anything other than a pundit.

They're a new class, but these guys are more political pundits than comedians.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.