Non-Star Warsy Stuff About TFA

RamonAtila

Funny how the thread went from "non-star warsy stuff" to "plot conveniences, wonky science, & other complaints". Somehow I knew it would go in this direction. The ironic thing is plot conveniences and wonky science have always been present throughout star wars. If that is bohersome, you need to eiher subvert your expectations s little bit or avoid sci-fi in general.

The sad thing is they make up almost half of movie canon.

It helps to think of them like this:

They were written to take place before the OT, so despite being only roughly ten years old, pretend like they were actually made fifty years ago. Like that cantankerous, bigotted, chauvinistic old grandparent or great-uncle that nobody listens to or takes seriously because he's from a different time in history.

Guest madddox

i can accept the place of the prequels in SW canon

its like that dipshit cousin who you know is family but you never invite to family gatherings.

Dude, I could write a book! I'm tempted to say, "The whole movie," because it just felt off to me, but I wanted to focus on two little things which I'm not sure if anyone has brought them up yet:

1. The lightsabers, particularly the activation sounds. Now, I can understand why Kylo Ren's saber sounding different, since it was supposed to have been different from a traditional saber, especially with it's crackly-ness. But why the hell does Anakin's/Luke's saber make a completely new sound when activated instead of the classic "saber on" noise that everyone is accustomed to? And not just once, either, but every single time it was activated. I was like, "What the hell was that?"

2. Some things just don't look right and cause visual continuity problems, at least for me. Ever since the teaser trailer, and continuing right through the film proper, something about Chewie didn't quite look right. I think it's the eyes. They just aren't Chewbacca's eyes. That disconnected me from the character a bit.

Guest HantheMann

Anakin/Luke's lightsaber is like 60+ years old and was bounced around the Cloud City ventilation system. Probably could use a tune-up before it sounds pristine again.

Guest madddox

while i respect zerimar's right to be disappointed in the movie, those are some of the nitpickiest things ever.

no wonder you didnt enjoy it if things like that bother you.

Obvious and flagrant historical allusions. The cool thing about SW is that the allusions to the real world were always subtle, more abstract and archetypal. As an example, the Jedi are much like the samurai. Or medieval monks. Or templars. Maybe Shao-Lin. Or maybe an amalgamation of them all. The Empire seem like the British of the 19th century. Except they had storm troopers, which were WWI Germany. The wookies/Ewoks were vaguely reminiscent of forest/jungle based guerrillas in Vietnam or central America. Except taller (or shorter, as the case may be) and with more hair. A LOT more hair. Ditto for individual characters: Darth Vader had a dark samurai vibe with robot thrown in. Han Solo is a bit on the wild west side, but not obviously so. I read in a few places that Palpatine was inspired, in part by Richard Nixon. Was he really that dishonest? And so on. And I kind of liked it. The mixture of real world, exotic and fantasy was always something I thought SW did well.

Then along comes the First Order. My only question is: why not Supreme Leader Hitler. Who the First Order were meant to be couldn't have been more obvious had that been the case.

Guest madddox

ive read that the first order is supposed to be very similar to a cult. so it will be interesting to see how snoke's character is developed as this "supreme leader". he may turn out to be a phoney all along, stringing along kylo and hux on weird truths to fulfil his own plans. he may not even be force sensitive at all. im thinking that kylo will surpass him as the big bad, especially with his almost irredeemable act fo killing han.

while i respect zerimar's right to be disappointed in the movie, those are some of the nitpickiest things ever.

no wonder you didnt enjoy it if things like that bother you.

Didn't I just say that everything I was going to mention had been mentioned already and the only things left to talk about were those? Learn to listen.

The Chewbacca thing might be nitpicky, but I don't think the lightsaber thing is at all. The lightsabers and all of their iconic sound effects are a huge part of Star Wars. The same sounds have been used across all six movies, and outside the movies as well. To use anything other than what has been established takes the lightsaber--arguably a character in its own right, especially this particular one--right out of character and makes it something foreign.

Odd complaint. Peter Mayhew has the same set of baby blues he did 40 years ago.

It's more to do with the size and shape of the eye holes in the mask. Makes him look like someone else.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.