Non-Star Warsy Stuff About TFA

RamonAtila

Guest madddox

while i respect zerimar's right to be disappointed in the movie, those are some of the nitpickiest things ever.

no wonder you didnt enjoy it if things like that bother you.

Didn't I just say that everything I was going to mention had been mentioned already and the only things left to talk about were those? Learn to listen.

The Chewbacca thing might be nitpicky, but I don't think the lightsaber thing is at all. The lightsabers and all of their iconic sound effects are a huge part of Star Wars. The same sounds have been used across all six movies, and outside the movies as well. To use anything other than what has been established takes the lightsaber--arguably a character in its own right, especially this particular one--right out of character and makes it something foreign.

simmer down there.

like i said, those "points" just seem nitpicky for the sake of nitpicky. i dont really think your points are "all that's left to talk about".

Some have brought up that there was something "off" about Han Solo. I'm thinking it has to do with Ford playing him like Indiana Jones. I realize this will sound silly seeing as how it's the same actor, but when I watched TFA I felt like someone stuck Indiana Jones into the Star Wars universe. When Han uses Chewie's crossbow the first time and is astounded with the punch it packs, he has the same reaction as in the Last Crusade's tank chase. It's hard to explain so I will just post this and say go to the 3:30 mark to see what I'm talking about:

The first time I saw TFA and saw Han look at the crossbow dumbfounded after firing it, I chuckled because I was immediately transported to this Indy scene.

When they're on the Falcon and Han is telling Rey and Finn about what happened to Luke, how he went looking for the first Jedi Temple and basically gives a history lesson on the events post-ROTJ, it harkened back to the Indy films. Jones gives a history lesson to the other characters that is part history, part myth to explain away what they are all about to get into.

Now I'm not saying all these things are necessarily bad. More like, as a fan of Indiana Jones I kept getting pulled out of TFA but I would imagine this wouldn't be a problem for most. So to me that was very "non-Star Warsy."

something about Chewie didn't quite look right. I think it's the eyes. They just aren't Chewbacca's eyes. That disconnected me from the character a bit.

Odd complaint. Peter Mayhew has the same set of baby blues he did 40 years ago.

Actually, while it is an odd complaint, Peter Mayhew wasn't the only one to play Chewie. Due to his issues some of the scenes had another person playing Chewie.

something about Chewie didn't quite look right. I think it's the eyes. They just aren't Chewbacca's eyes. That disconnected me from the character a bit.

Odd complaint. Peter Mayhew has the same set of baby blues he did 40 years ago.

Actually, while it is an odd complaint, Peter Mayhew wasn't the only one to play Chewie. Due to his issues some of the scenes had another person playing Chewie.

Mostly for the physical scenes. Pretty sure Mayhew was in there for pretty much all the scenes where Chewie's still enough that what his eyes look like could possibly matter.

There's black women in the Resistance!

But they are not in the forefront. I think this is because of a lack of diversity and needs to be addressed.

That might have something to do with a lack of a Bojangles in the forefront.

To be fair, your dialect is just as bastardized. The American rhotic dialect goes back farther in history than the British/Australian non-rhotic dialect does, which started to become popular among upper-class citizens in southern England in early nineteenth century. This means that the modern American dialect is closer to the original English dialect than the modern English dialect is.

And you'd be surprised how many of our expressions are closer to the originals than yours are. The punctuation mark know to you as the full-stop, but known to us as the period, was originally called a period, for example.

Pretty much the main thing you've got us on is spelling. We changed that shit all up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.