Non-Star Warsy Stuff About TFA

RamonAtila

What about all the stars, planets, asteroid fields, comets along the way between where you are and where you end up? If you are travelling the vast distances that are being traveled then even a slight change in your starting point could vastly change your course.

And ofcourse it's not realistic in any way for Han to manually pull them out of hyperspace so close to the planet. But then its not realistic for ships to move like they do in battle in Star Wars or for there to be fires in space in Star Wars or for people to stand in areas on ships that are open to space in Star Wars.

I'm not saying that what happens in TFA is realistic, what I'm saying is that there are dozens of things in SW that are not in any way realistic and it's silly to pick and choose what you accept and don't. Well not silly, it's your right to not like anything you see, it's just counterproductive and missing the point of Star Wars which has nothing to do with nava computers.

Fact is the scene in ANH where Han talks about the precise calculations is not meant to provide any kind of reference or rules for the Star Wars universe. It's mean to show how naive Luke is about such things.

Your comparing this incident to real world physics, I was not. I was comparing it to something already established in the first trllogy. If I where comparing it to real world physics then all matter would disintergrate before reaching the speed of light.

For you to say Star Wars has nothing to do with nava computers is wrong, like I said, this was established in the very first film (for a reason) it's all a part of the set up. It was a thought out process that exists in the Star Wars universe and they should really stick to these little things because it all helps makes this ridiculous science that exists in Star Wars almost plausible in a way. It helps to sell it. Shit like what happened in TFA pulls me right out of the film.

What about all the stars, planets, asteroid fields, comets along the way between where you are and where you end up? If you are travelling the vast distances that are being traveled then even a slight change in your starting point could vastly change your course.

And ofcourse it's not realistic in any way for Han to manually pull them out of hyperspace so close to the planet. But then its not realistic for ships to move like they do in battle in Star Wars or for there to be fires in space in Star Wars or for people to stand in areas on ships that are open to space in Star Wars.

I'm not saying that what happens in TFA is realistic, what I'm saying is that there are dozens of things in SW that are not in any way realistic and it's silly to pick and choose what you accept and don't. Well not silly, it's your right to not like anything you see, it's just counterproductive and missing the point of Star Wars which has nothing to do with nava computers.

Fact is the scene in ANH where Han talks about the precise calculations is not meant to provide any kind of reference or rules for the Star Wars universe. It's mean to show how naive Luke is about such things.

To be fair it WOULD make your trip real quick if bounced to close to a supernova.

I'll defend against those space pirates being called Star Treky or EUy. SW always has a random human that looks so outta place when you think about it. Think the Rebel captain with the blonde beard in ROTJ.

However that monster reminded me too much of that worm alien in the subway in MIB. The CGI in this movie was such crap.

But something I just remembered definitely wasn't Star Warsy. The surveillance cameras! Every SW film was able to successfully navigate around the issue of cameras except for this one.

Those CGI monsters Han was transporting definitely took me out of the movie. The CGI itself was terrible and the convenience of the attack was even more annoying. During their attack we see them tear apart every single person they catch...except Finn. He's the only one they inexplicably decide to not harm when they catch him. They just conveniently drag him away in such a manner as to be able to save him by closing a door. Who wrote this crap? There were so many other ways to do that scene. What's even worse is, for all the crap Lucas has gotten (deservedly so) for inserting fart jokes in the PT and burp jokes in the OT, Abrams felt it necessary to also insert a damn burp joke into this movie! When the monster eats one of the pirates, he lets out a huge burp as he spits out a boot. Hardee har har.

Guest madddox

i think the scene could have worked better with a few tweaks to the dialogue and pacing

but the laziest thing was the design of the actual creatures themselves. nothing really that interesting or memorable for me.

Guest madddox

those scenes were filmed that way for budgetry reasons, not to evoke horror.

filming the ranthars in a horror style wouldn't have worked either but for entirely different reasons.

i say, keep them in their cages and dont let them out. make their inclusion a quirky detail of the scene, not what the scene is built around.

those scenes were filmed that way for budgetry reasons, not to evoke horror.

Either way, the concept of tentacles reaching out from the dark is already in the series. So it could be done. And it would have been a better approach.

No Finn rescue. Nothing extensive. The Ranthars themselves taking up maybe 40 seconds. Just Han and everyone seeing the first two guys nabbed by unseen monsters and everyone scrambling to their ships. Rey and Finn see part of the other group down a corridor screaming as they get caught. Eyes go wide as they witness the carnage and off they run in the opposite direction to complete the escape. They reach the safety of the Falcon just ahead of Han and Chewie. Close the door, hear an immediate "thunk".

The boarders' ship harassing them could provide the tension for the jump to lightspeed. Quick, easy detour that gets Han and Chewie off their big ship and onto the Falcon without making you wonder "What the heck was that about?"

Sarlaac pulls Lando down slowly yet didn't have any problem with any of Jabba's guards.

Jabba's guards all fell right in. Lando is the only one the Sarlacc reached out with a tentacle as he was hanging at the top of the pit. Had the Sarlacc reached up and grabbed a bunch of guards and pulled them all down easily while slowly (conveniently) pulling down Lando then it would have been the same issue as this.

Frog monster in ROTJ burps outside Jabba's palace..

Yeah, and the Sarlacc burps when it eats Boba Fett. Hardee har har. Stupid burp jokes that for some reason Lucas and crew thought were so hilarious they followed them up with fart jokes in the next trilogy. And now Abrams decided to follow suit with the sophmoric humor?

That guy was right at the bottom close to the mouth of the pit when he's completely wrapped up. Lando was at the top and the tentacle only had a hold of his leg. In fact, seeing Jabba's guy finish like that actually adds more tension to Lando's predicament. We get to see what will happen if Han is not able to save him. The tentacle was slowly pulling him down until Lando would've been at a point where it could get a better hold of him completely and pull him in.

That is how you build a scene like this. The ROTJ scene illustrates exactly what is wrong with the TFA scene. The CGI monsters attack and it's, catch guy, chew him up. Catch guy, chew him up (burp). Catch guy, chew him up. Catch Finn and...don't hurt him.

Those CGI monsters Han was transporting definitely took me out of the movie. The CGI itself was terrible and the convenience of the attack was even more annoying. During their attack we see them tear apart every single person they catch...except Finn. He's the only one they inexplicably decide to not harm when they catch him. They just conveniently drag him away in such a manner as to be able to save him by closing a door.

This was certainly the most prequil-ish part of the film.

Who wrote this crap?

George Lucas.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.