The Hateful Eight

Tex

I don't think I've seen a QT movie since Kill Bill, and I don't know that I've enjoyed one since Reservoir Dogs.

All of his stuff just strikes me a trying too hard

I thought it was great. Clearly a lot of you aren't Tarantino fans, but to each their own. I do think he hit his peak with Inglorious Bastards, and I think a lot of that has to do with the unfortunate passing of Sally Menke. Since then I think his films have lost a lot of their pacing and punch, but I still really enjoyed this. The last thirty minutes though really did go a bit too long though.

In particular the 70MM was AMAZING. Say what you want about Tarantino, but at least we have himself and others like Christopher Nolan who aren't ramming 3D bulls**t down our throats. This screening and the Nolan movies in high def IMAX really display that this is where the focus for film should be leaning towards. Far more impressive than any 3D screening I've seen. So at whatever you think about the movies, should give him a lil bit of respect in that regard.

I agree that 70mm is great but spending two thirds of an overly long movie indoors really isn't a great use of it.

The main problem is not having any feeling toward the characters at all. I didn't want to root for any of them. It's a pretty soulless film and one I'm pretty sure he's made before.

You liked Inglourious?? That's his worst movie IMO.

Yeah look in retrospect, I think I was riding the high of the event itself (it only just released here, so this was one of the first 70mm showings). I was enjoying a lot of the build up, but it didn't really seem to lead anywhere. I wasn't really behind any of the characters at all. At least for some of it I was enjoying the ride, so I'll give it that.

The use of the 70mm wasn't as good as it could of been I'll agree, however I'm just happy to see a return to the format, or at least more of use of it. I'm not against digital at all - if anything it's enhanced a lot of cinemas because of digital projection - I'm just against the focus on 3D. So if Tarantino can make a spectacle out of a 2D movie, I'm all for it. The same for the Nolan movies, the IMAX shot scenes have all been stunning on a proper IMAX screen. Any luck and studios will back these kind of events and 3D will fade out.

And yeah I love Inglorious. It seems to be a pretty love or hate it film though, and I can see why people don't like it. But it was one of the most fun times I've had in the cinema.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.