What's with all the Maz hate?

Guest HantheMann

Guest HantheMann

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't understand why people are so critical. Han didn't want to confront Leia so he went to the one person he could trust to send BB-8 to the Resistance. Whether a puppet or CGI, I liked the character.

Also, the beginning of the bar scene reminded me of Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indie has to go see Marion. Anyway, I loved the inclusion of the Force vision and the music announcing the arrival of the Resistance. Lastly, found out in the Visual Dictionary that the Droid that communicates the arrival of Solo and BB-8 is working for the Resistance.

I thought it was pretty clear that droid was working for the Resistance because it contacted the Resistance.

I definitely don't hate Maz. I think she'll be interesting and hope she has a good part in Ep 8. Not sure why Lupita Nyong'o couldn't play her live action, though.

Guest HantheMann

I thought it was pretty clear that droid was working for the Resistance because it contacted the Resistance.

I definitely don't hate Maz. I think she'll be interesting and hope she has a good part in Ep 8. Not sure why Lupita Nyong'o couldn't play her live action, though.

Guest HantheMann

LOL. I guess haven't been paying attention, I keep not noticing who he contacts and just assumed both characters are telling FO. Makes more sense now. :-)

Who hates Maz? She's awesome.

Yeah. Nobody is universally loved, but the overwhelming consensus on Maz is that she was pretty cool. If there is some concerted anti-Maz hate going on, I certainly haven't heard a peep.

I haven't seen much Maz hate. I do cringe when I think about her and possibly Chewie hooking up.

Not a good idea. Anybody worth their salt in humanoid husbandry knows you need to pair a larger female with a smaller male if you want any hope of an uncomplicated, natural birth.

:no:

Not a good idea. Anybody worth their salt in humanoid husbandry knows you need to pair a larger female with a smaller male if you want any hope of an uncomplicated, natural birth.

No Wookie penis size jokes?

Or has the pants challenged Chewbacca we've known for 5 movies proven that it won't be an issue.

RE: what's with all the Maz hate?

Although her character was very cool, she is one of two CGI characters in a movie full of practical effects, so she stands out as clearly CGI . That could scare the hell out of someone if it reminds them of the prequels.

Personally, I like her, but the CG is very obvious to me. I would like to see more of her in the next one, but not too much more.

I'm just saying that if you are cross-breeding two species, it's generally better and safer if the one who has to do the gestating is of the larger species.

Let's hope zygotic barriers prevent fertilization in star wars science. Wookies already have a bad rep for mutilation.

The light sabers are also obvious CGI and nobody is ever bothered by that. It's all in execution and I think they executed Maz well.

Part of the reason the lightsabers looked so great here is that the illumination and heft is real; the actors used real glowing props when fighting -- so the CGI is more of an enhancement than an animation, and our brains don't say "Huh. Pretty, but those glow patterns just seem... off" when we see 'em.

Also: yes, Maz is clearly CGI, but in my experience the bigger and better the screen you see TFA on, the better (and more convincing) both she and Snoke look. I'm really curious to see how this translates to home viewings (i.e. will these characters look like cartoons on my TV, a la nearly everything in Episodes II and III?).

The light sabers are also obvious CGI and nobody is ever bothered by that. It's all in execution and I think they executed Maz well.

Part of the reason the lightsabers looked so great here is that the illumination and heft is real; the actors used real glowing props when fighting -- so the CGI is more of an enhancement than an animation, and our brains don't say "Huh. Pretty, but those glow patterns just seem... off" when we see 'em.

Also: yes, Maz is clearly CGI, but in my experience the bigger and better the screen you see TFA on, the better (and more convincing) both she and Snoke look. I'm really curious to see how this translates to home viewings (i.e. will these characters look like cartoons on my TV, a la nearly everything in Episodes II and III?).

Yeah, there's a difference between a digital effect and full CGI. The sabers were rotoscoped and animated digitally, but they were practical for shooting.

I wish all filmmakers would recognize the need to use the right FX for the right effect.

post-43313-0-01352800-1451850211_thumb.png

She said it herself. "I'm no Jedi, but I know the Force."

I actually wonder what she means by that. Does she "know the Force" as in she has some abilities? Just because you can use it doesn't make you a Jedi. Or does she mean she just knows about it the way Han Solo and Chewbacca know about it having seen Luke (and other Jedi in Chewie's case) in action.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.