Indiana Jones 5 Confirmed

Iceheart

I wonder if it's true that this was Harrison Ford's price for being in Star Wars

Maybe not! The article says they're still deciding on their Indy. Links in the article point to Chris Pratt and Bradley Cooper as possible replacements!

Not sure about Cooper, but Pratt I can definitely see pulling it off. I'd still prefer to see Ford do it one more time!

On the one hand, at this point it would be type-casting, on the other hand, thanks to type-casting, I'm hard pressed to think of someone other than Chris Pratt as a new Indy.

I might be the only person in the world who thinks Bradley Cooper is totally meh.

Personally, I'm all for a re-casting. I've got no issues with Ford having one more go, but without Spielberg, I'm not really interested. And I doubt Spielberg will ever come back again.

As iconic as Harrison Ford is with the role of Indiana Jones, it's not like the role is sacrosanct and nobody can ever replace him. Technically, Sean Patrick Flanery spent more time in the role than Ford ever did. Add in River Phoenix, George Hall, and Corey Carrier and you've got almost as many Indys running around as you do James Bonds.

So, go ahead and re-cast. Raiders of the Lost Ark isn't high art, it's brilliance is in being as pure and perfect popcorn flick as you'll ever see. Put the series back where it belongs in the 30s and fighting Nazis. Find yourself a director with a passion for old serials and have some fun with it all.

I'll be darned, you're right.

“Because there are more adventures out there than films. So as long as there’s more adventures out there, I’ve got a bullwhip, a fedora, a leather jacket and a man on a horse who knows how to get the job done.”

If Spielberg and Ford are willing to keep going, I'm in no mood to stop them. The two have earned enough credit that they can call it quits whenever they want.

Still, I do think it's time to pass the torch. My suggestion would be to cast a young Indiana and run parallel stories where Young Indy failed and lost the MacGuffin, and Old Indy is following his own ghost and recovering it. You can have sets that fall apart between the eras, and someone who dies in Young Indy's time could be a skeleton when they get to Old Indy.

From there, the Young Indy takes over the role from Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones 6.

Everyone cool with that basic structure?

I'll be darned, you're right.

“Because there are more adventures out there than films. So as long as there’s more adventures out there, I’ve got a bullwhip, a fedora, a leather jacket and a man on a horse who knows how to get the job done.”

If Spielberg and Ford are willing to keep going, I'm in no mood to stop them. The two have earned enough credit that they can call it quits whenever they want.

Still, I do think it's time to pass the torch. My suggestion would be to cast a young Indiana and run parallel stories where Young Indy failed and lost the MacGuffin, and Old Indy is following his own ghost and recovering it. You can have sets that fall apart between the eras, and someone who dies in Young Indy's time could be a skeleton when they get to Old Indy.

From there, the Young Indy takes over the role from Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones 6.

Everyone cool with that basic structure?

So do exactly what Young Indy did?

At this point they could do an Ant-Man/Tron with him and give us a young Indy. Like Jeff bridges and Michael Douglass, Ford made tons of movies to cull facial footage from.

But I'd rather they let Indy be old. The only parts of KOTCS I liked were Indy acknowledging the mileage was effecting him.

I disagree Ford is replaceable. Ford is Indiana Jones, if he can't come back, then I wouldn't be at all interested in seeing another one. I don't even think they should attempt without Spielberg or Lucas either - and considering the three of them proved they couldn't make a good film anymore with Indy IV, I'd be happier if they let Indy go. I know it won't happen since there is way too much potential money

Yeah, and I'll admit that since I grew up loving Indy more than anything (even SW) that I simply can't accept anyone else playing the role (outside of the Young Indy stuff)

I might get some tomatoes thrown at me for saying it, but I suspect if they had been able to keep Tom Selleck in the role, Raiders of the Lost Ark still would have been a great movie that made gobs of money and Indiana Jones would still be one of the most memorable characters of all-time (and a part of me wishes I could see it).

I'm not convinced you can't find an actor in his mid-30s that could wear the fedora. As good as Ford is in the role, and as iconic his presence, I think this is a Bond type situation where you can find another actor who could carry on the legacy. The idea and trappings of Indy are every bit as important as the actor. You get the stuff surrounding the new actor right, and you could hit it out of the park.

So do exactly what Young Indy did?

I don't think they ever ran that specific idea of the two stories being interconnected, but yeah. And the opening of The Last Crusade as well. Indiana Jones has a history of flashing back to earlier in Indy's life. Since it's already well established as a part of the franchise, then it'd be easy to sell to the audience.

But I'd rather they let Indy be old. The only parts of KOTCS I liked were Indy acknowledging the mileage was effecting him.

Well, I'm thinking about the future in my little pitch. As long as Spielberg and Ford are game, I'm willing to let them play. But, I'd like to see this franchise continue beyond the Spielberg/Lucas/Ford triumvirate.

If this were Ford's last go-around (which I assume it would be), bowing out in a way that reinvigorates the franchise for the next generation would be a fantastic farewell to him.

I don't even think they should attempt without Spielberg or Lucas either - and considering the three of them proved they couldn't make a good film anymore with Indy IV, I'd be happier if they let Indy go.

Spielberg is still making good movies. Been awhile since he made a great one, but Lincoln and Bridge of Spies is still better a lot better than most directors can do.

The case you make for replacing Ford works just as well for replacing Spielberg.

I'm okay with replacing Spielberg if they recast the role. I just don't see the point in Ford continuing if Spielberg isn't directing. I also don't see the purpose in Spielberg directing if Ford doesn't come back.

Suppose I'm all or nothing on this one.

There was a time when people believed Captain Kirk wasn't replaceable.

We were right. Shatner can never be replaced. And, even if he could be replaced, Chris Pine isn't doing it.

Pine might be playing some character, but it sure as heck isn't Kirk.

Sorry, when I meant they couldn't make a good film together, I meant the three of them together and not any particular individual. I agree Spielberg is still able to make some great films, and Ford can still put in a bit of effort in when he wants to - infact Indy IV, Ford was clearly the only one putting any effort in at all to that one since he was the only passable thing about the whole thing.

I'm sure they could probably find some actor to do a passable run at it, but I'm just stubborn. I don't want them to start churning this out like they do with James Bond. If they need to continue it I would rather see Harrison pass down the torch, but it won't seem natural seeing someone else in the fedora.

I'd say your not-intended version is accurate.

TFA is the first time I've seen Ford actually try and perform in ages.

Lucas can't make a decent movie.

Speilberg can make a movie in the sense that they are almost all technical masterpieces, but his films haven't heard the heart and sense of wonderment that they used to in at least a decade. I'd also argue that every Speilberg has a perfect ending-- then manages to keep going for another 10-40 minutes and undo itself. Just watched Bridge of Spies last night and it wasn't BAD. It was technically perfect. Looked great. It was interesting-- but I wasn't moved in any way... and it had 3 endings.

TFA is the first time I've seen Ford actually try and perform in ages.

I thought he did a nice job in Ender's Game.

Speilberg can make a movie in the sense that they are almost all technical masterpieces, but his films haven't heard the heart and sense of wonderment that they used to in at least a decade.

Well, his next film is a Roald Dahl adaptation. So we'll know if he's got any heart or sense of wonderment left in the tank come six months from now.

Spielberg is probably the most worrisome cog of the Big 3 in putting together an Indy 5. Truth be told, he hasn't been on point for an Indy movie since Temple of Doom. It's why I assumed they could never get him to come back. He just seems to be in a different place in his career now. But, like I said, if he's willing to give it a go, I'm willing to back him.

Guest El Chalupacabra

There was a time when people believed Captain Kirk wasn't replaceable.

And they would be right, to an extent. Pine's done a great job, but I don't think he's had the cultural impact Shatner had. I hate admitting that, because while I love Shatner's Kirk, I think Shatner is a disgusting human being in real life. The new Star Trek movies made a lot of money for sure, and the upcoming one probably will too, but in the process, they totally changed the character. The new Kirk is a totally different character, all in but name. I don't think he even looks like Shatner.

If that is what we can expect in Indy 5, or the Han Solo movie for that matter, then I am with Driver: hire a stand in, and CGI Harrison Ford's 40-something face over the stand in, or just leave Indy old.

Really, it is such a shame that they chose Shia Laboof to be Indy's son. Had they had the smarts to cast someone like Chris Pratt, they could have easily just passed the torch to Indy the III.

It would've taken some very talented casting to hire Pratt for Indy IV. But I do think he could do a great job, but I think the setting is equally important for Indy.

Commies aren't the same as Nazis.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.