Why did they do that?

Metropolis

I know there are a lot of people with questions as to what happened and why in TFA. I saw it for a third time Saturday night and I had my Hosnian System question answered, though not well enough. I'm going to stay away from the obvious as there are a few things that could nag at me.

1. 3PO's red arm. That was answered when I read that that will be part of one of the comic series. I was figuring it would be EU related, but why even reference it in the movie. He had 3PO bring it up for no relevant reason.

2. Alec Guiness calling Rey's name when she touches the lightsaber. Reading JJ comments it sort of seems like he thought it was a cool thing to do. I didn't notice it until it was told to me. How does Obi Wan know who Rey is? It's not like AOTC's hack job of Liam Neeson calling out Anakin's name when he's slaughtering Sand People. Qui Gon knows Anakin so it makes sense. If its not explained further JJ is just essentially given us on the internet something to debate for no real reason.

I have more, but talking Star Wars is killing my productivity. :p

1. 3PO's red arm. That was answered when I read that that will be part of one of the comic series. I was figuring it would be EU related, but why even reference it in the movie. He had 3PO bring it up for no relevant reason.

The first time he brought it up, I thought it was pretty funny. C-3PO worried that Han wouldn't recognize him because of his red arm. Really, I liked that whole little bit as a re-introduction to C-3PO. Classic.

Not sure why they felt a need to have him reference it again later in the movie.

I would think that "Force ghosts" give the idea that those who can communicate from beyond death can see the events. Assuming she's the offspring of someone connected to Luke, either his daughter or someone else that was worth watching. Obi Wan was most likely watching her from beyond. I'm sure it will be answered in the future movies. I'm not 100% in on her being Luke's kid or Leia and Han's. That's too easy and clean.

It's not "easy and clean" though. We the movie goers could have followed anyone in the 90 trillion people universe. We could have followed the adventures of Pogo the ant farmer in Cargos 4 who'd never heard of the Skywalkers.

We're watching the people we're watching because they're connected the previous stories.

Again, it's like people complaining Walter White was too good a Meth cook so it was unbelievable. A story about the 35th best Meth cook would have been less interesting than a story about the best one.

A story about the daughter of OB1 or Luke is more interesting.

JJ is just essentially given us on the internet something to debate for no real reason.

That's the answer to just about any question about what happens in TFA. But ....

1. I think the red right hand thing is a little bit of a piece with all this clearly awful horrible stuff that's gone down in the interval between the original movies and these new ones; a real Empire Strikes Back level of trauma has come to bear on the main characters and has sort of torn them up and turned their lives upside down. So even Threepio has had his arm severed and even R2-D2 has been frozen in (metaphorical!) carbonite. But because the droids are who they are it's not like they're going to be sad mopes about it like the Big Three. They're just going to keep on keeping on. But still, they're different, as part of why they're not in the movie's focus the way they were for the Original Trilogy --- if they were one hundred percent exactly the same as the classic droids then their presence for some of the movie would just highlight their absence in most of it (umm... I'm searching for an example here ... maybe Burt Reynolds in one of the Smokey and the Bandit sequels). But the real answer is just something like "ooooh MYSTERY" and probably because JJ Abrams' favourite colour is red.

2. I don't think there are any real well defined rules for the afterlife in the Star Wars movies (nor should there be, for the movies themselves as movies) and under what circumstances characters can communicate/commune with other characters. Why can Luke hear Obi-Wan's voice while in the cockpit in the original first movie and then see him (but not, apparently, have Obi-Wan really see and hear Luke) in the next one once he's been torn up by the wampa and then by the third one it's just whole conversations back and forth plus at the very end Obi-Wan has dragged Yoda and Luke's dad to have a good look at their little boy all grown up, very big now, having fun with his friends celebrating the defeat of the Emperor, hanging out with the teddy bears eating all that delicious roasted cloned stormtrooper flesh? What's going on there? Is Luke getting more (ugh, say it with me now in an extremely nerdy voice) powerful? Is it Rey being so powerful that lets her hear these voices and see these sights? I don't think so. I don't think that's the right metric for these people, what they can do, what choices they make, and what's entertaining for us as an audience to see.

That's probably covered in the Lego:Star Wars Droid Tales. Or not.

I just find it funny that it was even mentioned. Though 3PO telling Han about the red arm was kinda funny. At the end of the movie it as gold again. Easter Eggs don't have to be explained. Bounty Hunter chick from TPM pod race was never mentioned. She got her own books though.

I was figuring it would be EU related, but why even reference it in the movie. He had 3PO bring it up for no relevant reason.

No, it's not; it's FU related. :p

All joking aside, I thought it was pretty stupid for Threepio to point out the fact that he has a red arm. I didn't even think it fit with his quirky personality. It was just just a pointless bit of exposition stating the obvious. After all, he never talks about silver leg in the original Trilogy.

To be fair he had the silver leg when he met everybody in ANH. The red arm was new when he became reacquainted with people in TFA. If you have a new hair style when you first meet someone it's not worthy of comment. But if your hair is different the next time you see someone it might come up.

To be fair he had the silver leg when he met everybody in ANH. The red arm was new when he became reacquainted with people in TFA. If you have a new hair style when you first meet someone it's not worthy of comment. But if your hair is different the next time you see someone it might come up.

"You've changed your hair."

"Same jacket."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.