Your Episode 8 Nooooooooooo List

Pong Messiah

There's the irony that movies aren't written for writers but for everybody else. Also I don't believe you have to be able to do something to criticize it. I can't sing a lick but that doesn't prevent me from knowing Candlebox sucks a thousand asses.

But back to the point, I also admire Poe's enthusiasm but this is probably a subject we're just not going to agree on.

It's more the reverse. Any time I try to use my job or expert opinion as a basis for an argument as to why a movie blows I'm called elitist.

Which is hilarious given that my knowledge of screenwriting is the least elitist thing about me. I'm insufferable in so many other ways.

WE KNOW, GOSH! YOU DON'T NEED TO KEEP REMINDING US

That's a new internet rule. Are we still allowed to use the logical fallacy referee?

Seriously, once logical fallacies are brought up outside of the Lyceum, the focus of the argument is lost. There's no point in arguing further because the whole thing is derailed.

The great thing about Nightly is the wide range of expertise available. I learn from Driver's insights about storytelling, screenwriting, and the general business of Hollywood.

Also, you have to acknowledge that for a lot of people, a LOT OF PEOPLE, going 20 years as fans of the OT and wondering about Anakin Skywalker and seeing Darth Vader as a badass-- getting an 8 year old with terrible dialog was never going to be satisfying.

I had more of a problem with the 20 year old Anakin than with the 8 year old Anakin.

Seriously, once logical fallacies are brought up outside of the Lyceum, the focus of the argument is lost. There's no point in arguing further because the whole thing is derailed.

Well, there was a reason I snuck it onto the end of a fairly thoughtful (if I may) post in a humorous way after about the 3rd or 4th time Driver mentioned it. I didn't want to derail the thread.

But someone. Not saying who. Wanted to make a big deal about it.

Star Trek proved you can tell good time travel stories within an iconic series. (They told bad ones too but still...)

Yeah, but it was part of their DNA from the beginning and they use it frequently.

Nothing kills a story faster for me if alternate realities or time travel is suddenly introduced. Just cause Star Wars has scifi elements doesn't mean it would work.

I can't even wrap my head around how they'd do it. It would seem so out of place.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.