Your Episode 8 Nooooooooooo List

Pong Messiah

Like I posted elsewhere. I kinda like the idea that she is Han and Leia's thought dead daughter that Kylo supposedly killed but couldn't bring himself to do it. So he marooned her on Jakku.

If Han and Leia thought that Kylo Ren had murdered their 5-year-old daughter, I doubt they would have been nearly as willing to take him back. For that matter, I doubt Han could imagine that his status as father would protect him.

Luke is the most likely. Though, it's just so darn obvious. Personally, I like my idea of her being Palpatine's granddaughter, or possibly from Dooku. Having her be the heir to a legacy of darkness would be a nice touch and is tougher to predict. Rey's family could have been habitually on the run following the Emperor's fall, or maybe even before that.

And do we really think that Palpatine didn't indulge a little? No reason that the Sith had to be as sexless as the Jedi. Palpatine was totally cool with Vader keeping his wife.

Also, I don't know when simple and obvious became bad. It was obvious to everyone that Han was going to die, and that was still one of the best scenes in the movie.

They made that too obvious as well.

That probably is the biggest flaw in the theory, however Kylo has done some terrible things. We see him kill someone in cold blood and order others killed. It's a safe bet that he's done this before and that Han and Leia know about it. If they are willing to let Ben back into their lives and to just go on living as a "good guy" eventhough he's done all that stuff but wouldn't if he had killed their daughter, that makes them pretty terrible people.

"It's ok to kill as many people as you want, but not your sister!"

Also-- and this has cracked me up in terms of fan speculation for every movie since AOTC-- since when is Star Wars THAT complex really? Sure, the Vader=Anakin thing was big in its time, but beyond that, the simplest explanation for a Star Wars mystery has always ended up being the one that's true.

Palpatine = Sidous

Padme = Dead

the other hope = Leia

Syfo Dyas = a dead Jedi whose credit card was stolen

At this point it's so telegraphed that if she ISN'T it might be hard to buy the alternative.

Yeah the second time through made it pretty obvious.

Obvious? Telegraphed?

Luke Skywalker is thought to be a myth by Rey. The whole force and Jedi thing is thought to be a myth. She's plenty old enough when she's left on Jakku to remember family. I don't buy the "mind wipe" hypothesis - it's a ridiculous excuse to connect Rey to Luke despite the evidence. She's not a Solo, because if she were the offspring of Han and Leia, they're awful parents. There was plenty of time for the two to discuss Rey when they were instead discussing KyloBen. Even the prodigal son's brother got more attention than Ben's supposed little sister.

There would be no reason for anyone associated with the Republic, its Resistance forces in the First Order territory, or the First Order itself, to dump Rey on Jakku. Anyone associated with those regimes would be capable of protecting her from the others. I think that Rey is from Jakku, as it is very clear that's where she has lived for 15 years or so. But instead of thinking she was dumped there from somewhere else, I think her family was taken from her there. She didn't stay on Jakku to wait for them to come back for her. She waited there for fifteen years for them to come back to her. Perhaps her family was enslaved, like Shmi Skywalker was some sixty or seventy years ago. Maybe Unkar Plutt bought her from the slavers. I'm not clear on which side Plutt is supposed to be. If she has no idea where her family has been taken, her best bet would be to wait for them in the last place they knew she was. She was awfully eager to get back to Jakku considering every place else in the galaxy is more interesting and comfortable.

The "mystery" behind Rey is likely to be more mundane than expected, or exactly what everyone has figured. I doubt it's going to be worth the build up, though. If she's a Skywalker kid, I'm honestly not sure what I'll think, except that keeping it mysterious wasn't worth it. If she's something else, then I'll not be surprised.

Also, I don't know when simple and obvious became bad. It was obvious to everyone that Han was going to die, and that was still one of the best scenes in the movie.

They made that too obvious as well.

I think you missed the part when I said obvious isn't necessarily bad.

Hence my using the adverb "too". Think they could have gone a bit more subtle there. Especially since I don't think it was meant to be so obvious.

I hope she really is just a girl from Jakku. It would democratize the Force. I'm not crazy about how now it seems like you need to be descended from a Jedi to have the Force. It makes the Jedi seem like some super race.

Was reading an interview today with Kasden, he talked about how Lucas back in the day said that anyone who wanted to learn the Force could. I'd like that idea to be shown in this trilogy.

+9

"Democratizing the Force" is exactly why I want a new family, too. SW don't need no royal families or master races. No matter how convenient they may be to the narrative.

I said in an earlier thread that I like the idea of her not being born with The Force, but chosen later by The Force for whatever purpose it is that she ends up having.

At this point it's so telegraphed that if she ISN'T it might be hard to buy the alternative.

Yeah the second time through made it pretty obvious.

Obvious? Telegraphed?

Luke Skywalker is thought to be a myth by Rey. The whole force and Jedi thing is thought to be a myth. She's plenty old enough when she's left on Jakku to remember family. I don't buy the "mind wipe" hypothesis - it's a ridiculous excuse to connect Rey to Luke despite the evidence. She's not a Solo, because if she were the offspring of Han and Leia, they're awful parents. There was plenty of time for the two to discuss Rey when they were instead discussing KyloBen. Even the prodigal son's brother got more attention than Ben's supposed little sister.

There would be no reason for anyone associated with the Republic, its Resistance forces in the First Order territory, or the First Order itself, to dump Rey on Jakku. Anyone associated with those regimes would be capable of protecting her from the others. I think that Rey is from Jakku, as it is very clear that's where she has lived for 15 years or so. But instead of thinking she was dumped there from somewhere else, I think her family was taken from her there. She didn't stay on Jakku to wait for them to come back for her. She waited there for fifteen years for them to come back to her. Perhaps her family was enslaved, like Shmi Skywalker was some sixty or seventy years ago. Maybe Unkar Plutt bought her from the slavers. I'm not clear on which side Plutt is supposed to be. If she has no idea where her family has been taken, her best bet would be to wait for them in the last place they knew she was. She was awfully eager to get back to Jakku considering every place else in the galaxy is more interesting and comfortable.

The "mystery" behind Rey is likely to be more mundane than expected, or exactly what everyone has figured. I doubt it's going to be worth the build up, though. If she's a Skywalker kid, I'm honestly not sure what I'll think, except that keeping it mysterious wasn't worth it. If she's something else, then I'll not be surprised.

Telegraphed to the audience, not to the character.

My uncle didn't see Han's death coming. My aunt didn't either. My uncle is a hardcore starwars fan, probably as much as I am...but he does a lot of recreational drugs. Maybe that's why he didn't sense it coming? Short of that...I have no idea. I thought it was obvious.

My aunt is not a star wars fan, and is annoying to watch movies with in general because she doesn't shut up, and projects herself so she can be heard throuhout the theater. Her "unintentional" loud gasping and stupid comments always seem to emerge at important points/tension-filled moments, thus ruining the experience for everybody. I'm not sure why she even went with us to see the movie in the first place....probably just to troll ME. Anyways, she didn't see it coming eiher. But then again, she is also very stupid, and probably wasn't paying attention.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.