Your Episode 8 Nooooooooooo List

Pong Messiah

Guest madddox

Luke will die, just not sure whether in VIII or IX. (Leia, that horse throated bitch, will survive though)

And staying on topic:

- No planets from the OT (no Hoth, Dagobah, Tattooine, no ****ing Coruscant especially).

- No more treating the Falcon like it's a goddamn character (in story)! My main gripe with TFA is how everyone in the ****ing universe was like ".... and they're on the ALUMINIUM FOULCAN". I get that is was the ship that led the attack on the second Death Star, but it's the person at the helm rather than the ship itself which should be more important. I like that the Falcon was/is a character to the FANS, but it shouldn't be so much in the story.

- No more pottery please. We love the universe you reintroduced to us, we're invested in the characters. Just tell your own story now, if I wanted to see an inverse of ESB I'll watch it in reverse on my head or something. Just give us a story that serves the characters you've introduced and fits their motivations and arcs well, and we'll be with you no matter what story you decide to tell.

- No tying Rey to existing characters blood-wise. I mentioned in another thread that Rey's ability to listen to, manipulate, and use the force makes her feel like the Jean Grey of Star Wars. Great, I can get on board with her being naturally gifted, and the journey she takes to understand and master her powers. Just don't cheapen her abilities by making her the daughter of Luke or Plagueis or whatever.

- No more C3PO. While I feel he was fun to watch during the OT and served as a nice bit of comic relief, Anthony Daniels really seemed over the top in his few brief scenes in TFA. Probably because Finn was just fine as the comic relief part of the movie, and by the time 3PO appeared I didn't need more. Plus, he didn't feel as innocent in his bumbling as he used to be, just kind of annoying.

- No more close ups of Snoke. We get it. He's CGI. Played by Andy Serkis. Great. Now play him as a character and move the fuck on.

- No more one-line quips or throwbacks to the OT. I thought most of the ones in TFA were cute (some a bit clunky.. "TRAS COMPOCTOR?") and worked in the tone of the movie. But no more forced quips or one-liners in the name of pottery, it'll feel cheap.

Guest madddox

Yeah, he rubbed me weird.

And I still don't get the significance of his red arm. It got fixed in a few scenes. Some kind of inside on-set joke?

The 3PO suit even looked weird. Less detailed than before, or something.

I think that Threepio got a red arm just for spoilers sake. You share some fake spoilers, some real ones. You make some minor spoilers seem real (red arm) and then people believe even more that Chewie is going to lose an arm when he gets shot, because we saw art with him having a fake arm.

That and it was an easy way to say "Things have changed but we aren't going to spell it all out!"

3P0 was totally less innocent. When he hits R2 it seemed really odd to me-- like a total wife slap.

C-3PO slapped R2 around several times in A New Hope. Though in that movie C-3PO acted differently than in any of the other movies since Lucas had written him as a somewhat slick-talking, quick thinking only for Anthony Daniels to completely reimagine the character while on set.

Aside from hitting R2, you can see little remnants in scenes like his selling himself to Uncle Owen, his getting angry at R2 for refusing to play Leia's message for Luke, and his quick thinking as he got away from the Stormtroopers on the Death Star by locking himself and R2 into a closet and tapping on the door as if they'd been trying to get out.

Personally, I wish they'd kept the A New Hope version instead of going useless full-prissy as they did starting with The Empire Strikes Back.

ANH C-3PO also said hardly anything during the attack on the Death Star (and just a reaction shot from him when R2 got hit) whereas TFA C-3PO just said a lot of obvious / pointless stuff during the attack on Starkiller Base

I mostly agree with maddox, and I really don't want Rey to be related to existing characters too

What does "pottery" mean?

Yeah, he rubbed me weird.

And I still don't get the significance of his red arm. It got fixed in a few scenes. Some kind of inside on-set joke?

The 3PO suit even looked weird. Less detailed than before, or something.

The costume was updated for easier application and comfort, but not noticeably different from the outside. I get that the red arm is a sign that C-3PO has had adventures between ROTJ and TFA (he had the left arm replaced since the last time he encountered Solo), but he had that mismatched silver leg in the original films and not once was it mentioned. I don't think the replacement arm had to be given any attention.

- No cliché romances. Don't force that shit

- Do not kill Luke or Chewy. Furthermore, don't reintroduce Lando just to kill him off

- Despite all the complaining about mirroring other stuff, don't go another entire movie without revisiting at least one established location from either the OT or PT - Coruscant would make sense, and Bespin would if they reintroduce Lando or try to explain how Maz got Anakin's lightsaber. I don't mean flashbacks either. I mean actually going there and being there.

I was generally pleased, so that's about all I've got.

On second thought, I don't forsee any romantic subplots here. Especially with Rey. They did not build her up into this uber girl-power hero only to betray that concept with a romance. The geek feminist hegemony on social media simply won't stand for it. They might dabble in a Poe/Finn thing, but I doubt that's likely.

Geek fandom likes romance about as much as they like Jar Jar, or Greedo shooting first. It won't be long before the romantic subplot will be extinct, its fire gone out of the universe.

There's a new female lead joining them in episode 8. There's your romantic lead.

And I don't think it lessens Rey to be in a romantic storyline so long as it's a decent one where she doesn't need to be rescued or dies of a broken heart. In fact-- it might be downright powerful if she has the opportunity with Finn for love, but looks at what happened to Leia and decides to let love go in favor of focusing on being a Jedi.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.