Your Episode 8 Nooooooooooo List

Pong Messiah

You know what to do here.

• Superweapons. No.
  • Any hope of Kylo returning from the Dark Side. (I'd be OK with him atoning in IX while still being evil, a la Vader in the early RotJ treatments, however)
  • Overt ESB Parallels. We already got our nods in TFA. Let's make Episode VIII its own thing!
  • Luke dying. I swear to God. We waited an entire movie for him to show up. If we get him back, only to see him dramatically die after imparting wisdom/training to Rey...
  • Poe/Finn romance. If Poe is interested in Finn but it is unrequited, that could work and be a cool twist. But I wanna see Finn do his best Chasing Reymy.
  • Snoke remains nothing more than a CGI Gollum/Voldemort non-factor. Develop him, dammit! VIII doesn't have to give us his whole back story, but at least make me curious, make me care!
  • Ridiculous and ultra convenient/familier origin for Rey. If it turns out she was made with Obi or Anakin's freeze-dried semen or some other equally lazy "keep it in the SW Family" hand wave, I'm gonna throw my shoe at the screen. Luke's daughter could work as the easiest path, but is dangerously lazy as well. She deserves better.
  • Trying to out-action/eye-pop TFA. I loved the fact that there was tons of action in TFA, but the pacing never felt forced and manic as it does with so many modern action movies. TFA got it right; no need to go into turbo mode unless the story explicitly calls for it.

Now yousa.

A lot of what you mentioned depends on how it's done. There's a lot of hope for the next instalment. Let's not try and tar it before it's released.

This is how the prequel hate started. People were writing it before it began and their expectations/belief systems marred them to the point that they were bound to be disappointments.

Only Sith and Driver(apologist) deals in absolutes.

This is how the prequel hate started. People were writing it before it began and their expectations/belief systems marred them to the point that they were bound to be disappointments.

Disagree. I went into TFA fully expecting to be visually wowed while feeling dead and disappointed inside the whole time. I am thrilled to have been proved wrong, and my interest and hope in SW has been rekindled for the first time since TPM. Like you say, it depends on how it is done. Had the Prequels been quality Space Operas, people would be raving about how happy they are their expectations/fears were squashed. Prequel Hate has only George Lucas and his Yesmen to blame.

The prequels were different because we knew what was generally meant to happen. We had already planned the prequels for 15 years in our own minds. This trilogy is completely new territory, I think there is a different level of expectation there.

I'd be happy with no force ghosts at all.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Don't kill Chewie, or the droids

Don't blow up the Falcon

If he has to die, don't kill Luke until Episode 9

No Clones

No Ewoks

No Gungans

No more super weapons

No romance in any way between any of the new big 3. Let's keep it platonic among them for a change.

Lando better make at least a cameo.

Don't leave the Knights of Ren unexplained again.

They better give some sort of back story to Snoke, even if it is a little.

I am OK with force ghosts, but only used sparingly, and only if absolutely important to the plot.

Christopher Lee was physically gifted, imposingly tall, learned how to fence as a young man, and (by his estimation) was in more on screen swordfights than any other actor in history... He obviously couldn't do the more acrobatic stuff by AotC and RotS, but the guy could still be a big (and to me, convincing) presence with a blade in his hand.

I wouldn't mind see Leia doing "Force stuff" (though I'm not clamoring for it, either), but her character/Fisher just wouldn't feel natural to me with a lightsaber, no matter how much CGI is used. Give Leia a podium, a blaster, and a crack special ops team working under her and I'm good.

Sex scenes

Hayden - if done well, sure, but I have never seen him do anything well other than be an awkward, almost silent teenager in The Virgin Suicides.

MCU crossovers

Dropping major threads from TFA

Evil Luke - still will walk out and be done with Star Wars if that happens.

didn't they have to cgi his face on to a stunt double for most of the duel scenes

Yeah that's what I mean. Somebody was saying Carrie Fisher wasn't capable of performing lightsaber duels. If Dooku can do it, any actor can.
Actually I said it would be difficult and would require cocaine. But that's not the point. Point is it would be stupid.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.