Vader / Anakin Force Ghost.

the trumpet player 2

So according to this official 'The Art of The Force Awakens' book, it was at one point being considered that there would be a Force Ghost of Vader / Anakin, which switches between the light and the dark. The concept art even features images of Hayden Christensen. I seriously doubt it would happen.

Just throwing it out there...

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/12/the-force-ghost-of-anakin-skywalker-was-proposed-to-be-in-the-force-awakens/

Not loving the idea of Hayden anywhere near it. Ian McCraig isn't a writer. He's just an artist pitching ideas. These guys, as you know, often have to get working before there's a script based on a simple brief.

What I did like reading on that was the idea that Luke was not like the Jedi of old in that he managed his dark side. I've always felt that Luke's methodology would be far different than the Jedi of the Old Republic.

Not loving the idea of Hayden anywhere near it.

He didn't write the prequels, only performed as Directed, and wasn't the editor chosing what takes to use. With better people in those spots he'll be fine.

The dude has been terrible in everything he's ever been in.

I read through the whole art book, and where this comes from is basically the artists were given free reign before the script was in to come up with scenes or story beats on their own and explore them. Some of those ideas were brought into the script much later but most were not. This was one of those ideas.

The weirder idea was actually very early on that they would somehow go to the ruins of the second Death Star and look for the location of ancient jedi temples that the Emperor had kept in a file in this throne room/office. (this would replace the whole map thing in the final film) The catch was that it was under water.

And if I'm remembering, that idea wasn't an artist idea but had come down from somebody involved with the script.

That was Michael Arndt's idea-- to which i say thank God he was rewritten.

Why would there be files special secret on the second Death Star and not say-- on Couruscant where the Empire was based and the Emperor lived AND the most recent Jedi temple was?

That's as silly as a hand floating in space.

Not loving the idea of Hayden anywhere near it.

He didn't write the prequels, only performed as Directed, and wasn't the editor chosing what takes to use. With better people in those spots he'll be fine.
The dude has been terrible in everything he's ever been in.
He's only good at one thing: being an overtly miserable, pissy, crybaby prick. I thought he was good in life as a house; which I can only conclude Lucas had finished watching and convinced himself he found his Anakin. When I heard he was going to play Anakin, I remember thinking he should've been played by Paul Walker, but he might be okay I suppose. Boy was I wrong. This prick wouldn't last 5 minutes in an actual military, nevermond leading one like a young Darth Vader would have.

When I heard he was going to play Anakin, I remember thinking he should've been played by Paul Walker, but he might be okay I suppose.

If that's true, you've got one heck of an eye for talent. Outside of the Meet the Deedles (4% on Rotten Tomatoes), Paul Walker had only gotten supporting roles in a few movies prior to Christensen being cast in 2000.

This prick wouldn't last 5 minutes in an actual military, nevermond leading one like a young Darth Vader would have.

Christensen as a physical presence never bothered me. I think he cut a pretty good Jedi warrior, particularly in Revenge of the Sith. Better than Ewan McGreggor.

Guest El Chalupacabra

While he was whiny in AOTC, Hayden Christensen didn't bother me in ROTS. I thought he did a pretty decent job in that movie, so I am more in the camp that I blame the script more than him for AOTC. I mean, if even a good actor like Liam Neeson can be made to come off as wooden in TPM, the only common denominator there is GL.

That said, I don't like the idea of Christensen appearing in the sequel trilogy as a force ghost. First, I did not like the ROTJ edit that spliced him into the end. I don't accept that scene as canon. Second, his ghost alternating between light and dark? That really undermines Vader's redemption. Finally, I want this new trilogy to stand on its own as much as possible. Having the OT cast participate is enough of a connection for me. Let's get some new ideas in there, instead of trying to shoe horn force ghosts from the PT.

Here's the deal about Anakin's ghost appearing:

Before seeing the movie, I couldn't imagine a reason why they would do such a thing. However, The Force Awakens gives us a very good excuse since Kylo Ren is the mother of all Darth Vader fanboys. Dude more or less has a shrine to the man that he prays to.

With that dynamic set up, having Anakin's ghost appear before Kylo Ren or alternatively a false vision sent to him by Snoke, makes plenty of sense as a matter of story. The real barrier to this happening isn't story justification, it's fan reaction and the "keep Christensen out of the new movies" Prequel hate.

Personally, I'm not sure if they should do it or not. But at some point, I do think they need to reconcile the Prequels into the new set of movies. I can understand why they wanted to stay away from them in the first movie, but they are a part of the series, and if the audience feels good about the new movies, using the Prequels to add flavor to the new series will be accepted. If they find that Christensen could add something to Episode VIII or particularly Episode IX, then I say go for it.

That said, I don't like the idea of Christensen appearing in the sequel trilogy as a force ghost. First, I did not like the ROTJ edit that spliced him into the end.

Think that's somewhat of a separate issue. To me, it would have made sense if they went all out and replaced Sebastian Shaw completely.

Let's be honest, bringing in Sebastion Shaw who was in his late-70s (almost 10 years older than Alec Guinness!) to play Anakin in Return of the Jedi was always a weird continuity error. It made some sense thematically that Vader would be this shriveled up old man. But even when I was a kid it always rankled me that this was supposed to be Luke's father. That 25 or 30 years earlier he'd still been a young Jedi and left Ben Kenobi's tutelage "but the learner".

But, I suspect even Lucas wasn't willing to tamper with a scene that worked so well and is one of the most memorable scenes of the series. If Lucas weren't willing to go to that length, then he shouldn't have swapped out the two actors for the Force ghost and didn't even bother to age Christensen through makeup. It was a half measure, and it didn't make anyone happy.

Yeah - the only characters who should show up in all the trilogies are R2 & 3PO.

Don't forget Chewbacca.

When I heard he was going to play Anakin, I remember thinking he should've been played by Paul Walker, but he might be okay I suppose.

If that's true, you've got one heck of an eye for talent. Outside of the Meet the Deedles (4% on Rotten Tomatoes), Paul Walker had only gotten supporting roles in a few movies prior to Christensen being cast in 2000.

I was into the movie She's All That around that time. Paul Walker in that movie was athletic, tough-looking, popular, douchey and a bully. He was best friends with Freddie Prinze's character...right up until he stabbed him in the back. Tell me that's not a dead-ringer for a Anakin/Vader way back in 2000? Plus he had the Skywalker look.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.