Vader / Anakin Force Ghost.

the trumpet player 2

Didn't anybody fully read the text? It was an idea pitched by concept artists. The producers, writers and director all said NOPE.

Half the article is speculation that Christensen will be in Episode VIII and how the concept art fits that idea. At no time does the story debunk the notion.

The text in the actual art book says it was Ian MCraig's idea based on a idea session with Kennedy, Arndt and others.

I don't have a problem with Anakin showing up as a force ghost. I just don't want it to be some Anakin/Vader hybrid. His arc was completed when he was redeemed. Having him connected to Vader would be very counterproductive for the original trilogy. If there was any Vader left in his spirit, it would trash the idea that Luke was so powerful he could turn Vader back to the light.

The "show me again" makes me think: Is Vader is really gone? or Is Snoke playing with Kylo`s head ? Making him think that he has ocasional encounters with twisted ol grandpa. If that is so...why is the real ghost Anakin allowing this to happen. He must be around...

given what is heard during Rey`s vision, Obi-Wan and Yoda are actually looking after her (or at least Obi)

Another thing...when Kylo takes off his mask while interrogating Rey, he places his mask over a pile of dirt? Ashes? what was that?

Vaders ashes?

IMHO Anakin`s ghost is coming back

Nope. No Anakin force ghost. Is it that difficult to distinguish between what would be "kewl" and what is narratively necessary? No wonder Star Wars fans are unpleasable; you've all developed a penchant for expecting your "head canon" to pop up on screen.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don’t want to see an Anakin\Vader force ghost, either. However, the idea itself would be cool, if used on an Obi Wan force ghost, where it shifts from old Ben (Alec ), to young Obi Wan (Ewan), through CGI. Wouldn’t exactly be in line with the OT, but it would be a cool way to include Ewan McGregor.

I don’t want to see an Anakin\Vader force ghost, either. However, the idea itself would be cool, if used on an Obi Wan force ghost, where it shifts from old Ben (Alec ), to young Obi Wan (Ewan), through CGI. Wouldn’t exactly be in line with the OT, but it would be a cool way to include Ewan McGregor.

I mean, It would be super cool if done right. Clearly Kylo has had somekind of a connection with Vader (or whatever he thought was Vader) hence the "Show me again" ...but I see your point.... It is easier to mess it up than make it right.

Guest El Chalupacabra

OR, just give Ewan McGregor his own damn movie

That would bemy prference, actually. And I am not arguing it should be done. I was just saying the concept of a morphing force ghost could have potential, and I think that would be a good way to do it, if it were to be done.

I used to worry that the dark side in any form would ruin Luke's victory in ROTJ, but I ultimately decided if the dark side returned in the form of something new I could accept it, and thankfully that's what they did.

But Anakin's ghost being any part Vader flies in the face of both Luke and Vader's arcs. I hope we never see it

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm in full agreement with you on anakins ghost morphing to Vader. Makes no sense unless it is a false vision created by snoke. But that's not really necessary.

I'm just saying if a morphing force ghost idea was used, I think obi wan would be better. But this was just a random observation, not something I'm dying to see.

Before TFA, nobody would have ever dreamed of a Vader morphing force ghost. Like Driver put, it simply flies in the face of Luke and Vader's character arcs, and the whole concept of force ghosts in general. Something caused this idea to be planted into people's heads. Because of this, this notion of a Vader morph ghost was perhaps part of the original Arndt script before it was rewritten, back when rumors of Haydontactagain Christiensen might have had a role in these new movies.

The idea came from Ian McCraig who is a great artist but a bad storyteller apparently. He was asked to do concepts with only "30 years after ROTJ" as a guideline. No script. So he was spitballing ideas.

That's the beginning and end of it.

Guest HantheMann

I actually like the visual from the art book of a screwed up looking anakin/vader ghost. I wouldn't mind seeing it so long as it's in the context of Snoke causing Kylo Ren to see this ghost and using it to manipulate him.

I just realized one context in which I would like it. Ben is the opposite of Luke in the OT. Luke would get Light Side advice from OB1. So if it's Ben getting Dark Side advice from Vadar that I'd another interesting parallel.

I know I know it undermines ROTJ and Anikan's arc. I get that. I'm just saying I actually like the Villain's Journey parallels.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.