Should I Continue Posting Here?

Zerimar Nyliram

I've always felt very at home at Nightly. It is one of the kinder, more mature message boards I've belonged to, and I have always felt well-treated here.

However, as I'm sure all of you are probably aware, I am an Expanded Universe fan. I've never been much of a film aficionado, always preferring the written word; and although I grew up with the original Star Wars Trilogy, loving them beyond anything ever, I have to say that the only reason I continue to be such a Star Wars fan is entirely because of the EU.

Now the EU has been decanonized and--at least for now (with the exception of The Old Republic)--discontinued, making way for a new, rebooted Star Wars universe apart from the original six films. As I'm sure you are also aware, I am not interested in this new universe whatsoever, and wish only for the rebranded "Legends" universe to see continuance. However, despite some inaccurate perceptions, I do not disparage anyone's enjoyment of the new films, novels, or comics, and I hope they are quality and that you continue to enjoy them, even though I myself have no interest.

Saying that, the last thing I want is for our good relations to turn into animosity, as I can feel is already brewing with one or two members here. And since, moving forward, your universe is going to be getting a lot of new content, I'm going to feel like the minority here as I will have virtually nothing to talk about besides the six original films, and I don't wish to upset anyone with my feelings toward such new media (which is part of the reason why I feel I should avoid these things moving forward).

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, and I am tired of feeling like the lone voice crying in the wilderness. It is no secret that Nightly has never been a very pro-EU place, but at least we had the films in common. Now, you will have a new film every year which will contradict my own personal canon, so I fear it will leave very little room for commonality and much room for butting heads.

So should I continue to post here? I do love this place and would hate to lose it, but I would also hate to become "that guy."

I think you should totally stay.

But you know... we get it. We know where you stand. I don't think it's your stance that rubs people the wrong way, I think it's more the fact that you were pretty relentless with stating it every time you posted for awhile.

Last thing I think nightly needs is for everyone to agree about everything-- just know that we know where you stand and you probably aren't going to change many minds to your side :)

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't see any reason for you to leave, either.

Why does something have to be considered by Disney to be canon in order to be considered interesting? Really, not much has changed because even before the Disney Takeover, a lot of fans didn't consider EU canon anyway. I still occasionally play old Star Wars video games that I consider fun, even though they aren't co called canon, anymore.

Also-- we cant blame Disney for everything. Lucas chose to sell, and Lucasfilm is left to be run as its own thing, just like Marvel, Miramax and Pixar. The only thing Disney can do is jerk around the money if a director asks for a later release date. As long as the release schedule is kept and nothing bombs, Disney will let Kennedy do as she does.

For what it's worth

Well, I don't typically agree with many of your opinions, but I always enjoy reading your posts. I get your sense of humor, too. Your perspective is unlike anyone here, and you see things from an angle that contributes unique ideas and opinions. I understand the difficulty expressing differing opinions for fear of being jumped on, though. Don't sweat it, and remember what is and is not a healthy source to base your sense of validation from. And never apologize for the way you feel.

You are a contributer here, but wether you want to stay of course is up to you.

Basically what I am trying to say is STAY

II do love this place and would hate to lose it, but I would also hate to become "that guy."

Ummm... I always thought you were a girl.

For what it's worth

Well, I don't typically agree with many of your opinions, but I always enjoy reading your posts. I get your sense of humor, too. Your perspective is unlike anyone here, and you see things from an angle that contributes unique ideas and opinions. I understand the difficulty expressing differing opinions for fear of being jumped on, though. Don't sweat it, and remember what's is and is not a healthy source to base your sense of validation from. And never apologize for the way you feel.

II do love this place and would hate to lose it, but I would also hate to become "that guy."

Ummm... I always thought you were a girl.

Says the guy named Dana

Haha! Yeah, I thought the origins of my name were fairly well known now, but I don't mind clarifying. The short version is that I used to be a huge Marilyn Manson fan back in the day, and Twiggy Ramirez is his bassist. The long version is that I once wrote a Final Fantasy VIII fanfic with two new characters by those names (both Manson references, along with Dita, who was a reference to Dita Von Teese, Manson's ex-wife), and then I later took these two names and used them for my character's name when I first played KOTOR, and thus Zerimar Nyliram was born. But yes, I am fully male. I can post anatomical photos to back that up if need be.

But thank you for your kind words, though. I'm really glad you get my sense of humor. Not many do. Thanks for the kind words from everyone else as well.

Ditto.

The sheer novelty of a poster who prefers poorly written novels to the movies is reason enough to stay.

Oh. Well, I'm glad you've read them all. :)

Cause I'm 65% of the content here.

That's oddly specific. It's almost like you have a quota. How much are they paying you? I may want in on this.

Also, stay. I just came back from a looong hiatus, and I can tell you from that experience that this board is about more than SW.

I personally find the EU novels intellectually and aesthetically offensive, and have a hard time not conflating my disdain for them with the people who read them, even though I know it is wrong.

But you should definitely stay! Would be boring if this was just a 24/7 circle-jerk of "We love all things Star Wars. Yay!"

You should stay and fight back.

People can be horrible in here and downright rude and dismissive. I've been on the end of it for years mate. Just for having different opinions. There was even a period where a handful of posters were allowed to troll people and abuse them and post offensive topics without mods or admins lifting a finger. They were the dark days...

Happily they're long gone. But don't let your opinions and beliefs be tarnished by anyone else. Feel free to post and express yourself. You're not the only person who loves the EU as I'm sure JC and Mara will attest.

You never know. You might find a way for both the EU and FU to exist, albeit separately, in your heart.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.