The Force Awakens Box Office

Poe Dameron

Don't think I would call myself a fan (and I like a couple of Spice Girls songs), but I usually watch a lot of in when it's on (didn't watch it until it was on free-to-air) because I think parts of it (including some of the performances) are really good and I'm not embarrassed to admit that

I don't think the sequels will be huge (box office) successes either

Weekend estimates update:

Fri-Sun (Estimate) $41,630,000. Total Domestic: $812,011,043. Worldwide: $1,733,411,043

A bit less than the experts were expecting, but a bit better than my more pessimistic projection. The $800 million barrier has been cleared. With this weekend, it looks much more likely to make it to $900 million, which was in doubt for a bit.

Additionally, the movie finally premiered in China and made $33 million its opening day and $53 million its first weekend, which is an excellent start. It is now #3 on the Worldwide All-Time list. And for those interested in the Adjusted list, it's at #15.

Jurassic World made about another 100 mil from this point on, considering TFA has been ahead of it up to this point other than a couple days that JW had that were on 4th of July weekend I would expect TFA to clear another 100, maybe a tad more. I know that's a severely simplistic way to look at it, but whatever. My final prediction would be right around 925 mil.

Keep in mind that next weekend is a holiday. So, even though Ride Along 2 will almost certainly take the #1 slot, The Force Awakens should see a reasonably good hold and a bonus weekend day on Monday. For the extended 4-day weekend, it should do at least as well as it did this weekend. So by next Monday it'll probably be somewhere around $865-$880 million.

Jurassic World had about $60 million left in the tank from that point. I'd add another $10 million on top of that and estimate it'll end up between $935-950 million.

• 2 weeks later...

Updating: Weekend Estimate: $14,257,000. Domestic Total: $879,289,346

Okay, the variables are starting to go away on the final total. The Force Awakens has fallen a bit behind Jurassic World and The Avengers on weekdays, but is doing better on the weekends. From here Jurassic World made $41 million. The Avengers made $50 million. Say a tad over $50 million from here gets The Force Awakens up to $930 million. That's now the over/under.

A couple little disappointments:

1. Worldwide, The Force Awakens is about $240 million short of Titanic and looks like it will come up just short of taking over the #2 slot.

2. The adjusted totals for Snow White got adjusted upwards again with the new year. It looks like Snow White is safe for now with an adjusted total of $948.3 million which should just barely be enough to keep The Force Awakens out of the Top 10 on that list. It passed 101 Dalmatians this weekend for the #11 slot and looks like it's staying there unless there's either a re-release or Disney orchestrates a theater expansion in a month or two.

Interesting little trivia. The Force Awakens did slightly less than the The Phantom Menace did in its 6th weekend. The Phantom Menace holds the current 9th highest 6th weekend total.

There's a bit of an urban myth that The Phantom Menace had a big opening, but no one went to see it after the initial rush. Not true, it actually had one of the longest runs yet seen in a modern blockbuster. Arguably, only Avatar can match it in terms of movies that had massive openings and consistently strong legs. It was still making over $1 million a weekend as late as September (and still in 350 theaters as late as January). Its biggest weekend drop was only only 36% (in its 3rd weekend after its 2nd weekend was boosted by Memorial Day). By comparison, the Force Awakens' smallest weekend drop so far has been 37.8%.

Starting last Tuesday, The Phantom Menace began outperforming The Force Awakens in a day-to-day comparison. It looks like Saturday will mark the final time that The Force Awakens will bring in a higher total than The Phantom Menace for a single day.

• 2 weeks later...

Friday estimate: $1.8 million. Domestic total: $900.8 million.

It's official. The Force Awakens has broken the $900 million barrier in its 50th day. It's holding on remarkably well too for a movie its age. It looks like it's on its way to a 2nd weekend in a row with a sub-30% drop.

It will pass $2 billion worldwide tomorrow, marking its final major milestone.

You want a real surprise, keep going down that list. You'll see that American Graffiti is somehow all the way up at #46, higher than Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, or any of the three Indiana Jones prequel/sequels.

Easy to forget that American Graffiti was once a Top 10 All-Time box office beast in its own right.

• 1 month later...

Say a tad over $50 million from here gets The Force Awakens up to $930 million. That's now the over/under.

Those that had the over, it just passed the $930 million mark with its $1.3 million haul over the weekend.

The Force Awakens has had a pretty good twilight, dropping slowly and keeping a surprising number of theaters (with a solid per theater average) as it ages. As I said in the DVD thread, Disney is going to leave a few million dollars on the table when they release the DVD in a few weeks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.