The Force Awakens Box Office

Poe Dameron

Friday (estimate): $34,460,000. Domestic Total: $686,425,583.

The Force Awakens leapfrogs Titanic and Jurassic World and is now at #2 on the all-time domestic charts after only 14 days.

This estimate is in line with a 30.1% drop, which is almost exactly where it should for the estimated $104 million this weekend. This would put it about $4 million short of Avatar on Sunday. So we can expect expect The Force Awakens to claim the title of biggest movie ever on Monday.

Expect to start seeing those commercials next week.

The Gone With the Wind and Star Wars adjusted totals are safe. However, it's moving up that list quickly too and already up to #23. The Force Awakens will break into the Adjusted Top 10.

Since E.T. in 1982, only Titanic has been able to crack the Top 10 adjusted. If Disney is clever with a re-release just before Episode VIII, The Force Awakens could conceivably pass The Sound of Music and go all the way up to #3 on that list.

I'll admit to being little bummed about that since it looks like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is going to be bumped out of the Adjusted Top 10. Which is a shame.

**** the inflated list. Back then movies was all people had. So much more competition now. It's apples and oranges.

Yep. Movies like Gone with the Wind, The Sound of Music and Disney animations all played in the cinema for ever with multiple release. I saw them all in the cinema in the 70's. They just didn't work on the tiny grainy television screens most people had back then. It wasn't until the 80's that television was anywhere near good enough to do justice to these films.There was no other way to see them. GWTW's adjusted will never be beaten.

There was no other way to see them. GWTW's adjusted will never be beaten.

For years I thought Star Wars might overtake Gone With the Wind in the extreme long run. It would only take another couple of re-releases on special anniversaries, but it was within range. But with Fox owning the distribution rights and likely in no mood to give Disney's franchise free publicity, it doesn't look like we'll ever get another wide re-release of it like they did with the Special Editions on the 20th Anniversary.

**** the inflated list. Back then movies was all people had. So much more competition now. It's apples and oranges.

Then it shouldn't be called 'All Time Box Office' if it's apples and oranges. Call it the modern era or something. It may have been all they had back then but movies also didn't cost $20 for admission.

No I get that completely. I'm not quibbling about the inflation part of it. I'm just saying selling a lot of tickets now with ALL the other entertainment options out there that didn't exist back then is more impressive even when you factor in our larger population now. To me, anyway.

And actually the lower ticket prices help.

Average ticket price in 1940 was 24 cents. Adjusted for inflation, just over $4.

For $4, I would go see movies a lot more.

You'd also be living in the Great Depression. A little less disposable income to go around in those days.

Anyway, the actuals for the weekend came in. Sunday did a little better than expected, but still nowhere near well enough to get above $100 million.

Weekend: $90,241,673. Domestic Total: $742,208,942

Couple more new records: Biggest 3rd weekend. Biggest weekend in January (just edging out American Sniper).

The Force Awakens now holds 40 separate box office records tracked by Box Office Mojo. Once it passes Avatar on Tuesday or Wednesday, it should hold 42 (#1 Domestic and #1 PG-13). It might manage to nab one more record after that, the 4th weekend record of $50.3 million, but that'll be tough.

Amusingly it's now taken enough records away from Avatar so that Twilight: Eclipse now holds more records than it thanks to its Wednesday and theater count records.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/?page=byrecord&p=.htm

BTW, expect a big drop tomorrow. Possibly below $10 million.

You'd also be living in the Great Depression. A little less disposable income to go around in those days.

Okay, in that case let's use 1960 prices. Which would still put the cost, adjusted for inflation, right around $4.

Does that make you feel better?

Monday: $8,021,882. Total: $750,230,824

That pretty much puts a nail in the coffin of the $1 billion question without a re-release. While $8 million on a movie's 3rd Monday is nothing to be ashamed of, the week-to-week Monday drop was a very steep 74%. As I noted before, while The Force Awakens weekend were fabulous, it was its weekday numbers that were unprecedented. With the kiddies back in school, The Force Awakens is suddenly acting like a typical blockbuster.

A lack of competition keeping it in theaters, continued press for being the biggest movie ever, and it just being Star Wars dammit will give it some legs in the extended run, the current over/under is about $935 million.

Wednesday: $6,210,432. Total: $764,408,684

Good news: The Force Awakens now has the title of #1 domestic movie of all-time. So Star Wars is #1 again for the first time since A New Hope briefly retook the title from ET in 1997 with the Special Edition re-release. No matter what you think of The Force Awakens, let us all rejoice in the knowledge that the stupid blue kitties don't hold that title anymore.

Bad news: It's daily take is not just falling faster than expected. It's dropping like a stone. The week-to-week drop on Wednesday was 78% less than last week. Even accounting for holidays, that's a drop level usually reserved for outright bombs and Twilight films.

Box Office Mojo predicted that The Force Awakens would match Avatar's 4th weekend record of $50.3 million. With this Wednesday total, I think they'd be lucky to get $35 million. I wouldn't even be surprised if there's a 66% drop to $30 million. From there expectations should be cut. $900 million may be tougher to get to than expected.

Guest HantheMann

I think TFA has a chance to exceed Titanic in All Time Worldwide receipts and hold the #2 spot, but I don't see anyway for it to catch Avatar. That would entail another $1 billion of life in the film.

Also, is the movie going public clamoring for 2 more Avatar movies?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.