Crowning Moment of Awesome

ShadowDog

What was the defining moment of awesome in one or more of these movies for you personally?

1) Darth Maul. Dude was ****ing awesome. Specifically when he exposed his double saber

2) Yoda kicking some major ASS.

3) I really liked Dooku getting his early on but Yoda v Palpy was dope. Especially when Yoda rolled in talking shit. "If the Dark Side is stronger why you running, bitch?"

4) When Han came back.

5) You know the line. And cheesy as it was, Luke's NOOOOOO! was awesome too.

6) Luke refusing to kill Vadar. Suck it, Palpy

7) Been waiting 30 years to see a woman KICK SOME ASS with a light saber. Always imagined it as Leia ... but this works.

My favourite is when Luke threw down his lightsabre in ROTJ. "You've failed your highness. I am a Jedi like my father before me!". Not just that moment. But that moment against the backdrop of the ground battle on Endor and the full might of the Rebel forces fighting impossible odds in space. Probably my favourite moment in cinema history.

Close second is Han's return in ANH. But I think of it more as Luke destroying the Death Star. But "you're all clear kid, now let's blow this think and go home" is a quality line.

This got me thinking a little about TFA. TFA doesn't really have a defining moment does it. You could argue about Han's Death or the Luke Reveal. But they don't have a great impact like the others. What do you think??

Yoda had a couple of them in Revenge of the Sith that stuck with me.

1. Yoda lopping off those two clonetrooper's heads as they were sneaking up to assassinate him in the Order 66 sequence. Helped a lot that we'd just seen a bunch of other Jedi murdered right before that.

2. Yoda just brushing aside Palapatine's guards as he walks in to confront him.

Tarkin staring down Leia as he threatens to destroy Alderaan. If you watch that scene, Tarkin was so intimidating that Leia actually backed up into Vader. Just think about that. Leia wanted to get away from Tarkin so much that Vader's personal space was a preferable location. That's hardcore.

This got me thinking a little about TFA. TFA doesn't really have a defining moment does it. You could argue about Han's Death or the Luke Reveal. But they don't have a great impact like the others. What do you think??

Rey calling the saber to her hand has gotten huge applause every time. It's definitely my favorite moment of the film.

Rey calling the saber to her hand has gotten huge applause every time. It's definitely my favorite moment of the film.

Good shout Mara. Definitely a meaningful moment. Didn't have the accompanying line to quote over and over, but it didn't need it. The gesture was enough.

Rey is just so awesome and Daisy Ridley is just so beautiful. Hard not to fall in love...

I have you NOW...Boom. WHAT?! Yeahoo!! LOOK OUT! Crash-boom! You're all clear kid now let's blow this thing and go home. PEW PEW!

My personal favorite moment in all of star wars, so it gets little extra special attention from me. Han came back, at that most desperate moment, when hope was all but lost. Han: the hero's hero.

There are others in ANH, several in ESB, a few in ROTJ...but this one is by far and away this single-greatest moment in star wars history to me, flaws and all. Suck it.

What was the defining moment of awesome in one or more of these movies for you personally?

• TPM: When Qui-Gon and Obi's lightsabers appear through the poison gas and we get our first true Jedi Knights -- not ancient or shriveled wizards and crippled fallen knights, not plucky trainees, real Jedi -- in action as the walking deus ex machina they are
  • TPM: The final duel between Qui-Gon, Obi against Darth Maul. Great choreography and action, and possibly the last truly heroic, stirring theme by John Williams
  • ANH: Luke looking into the Binary Sunset
  • ESB: Imperial Walkers appearing on the horizon. Menacing bastards!
  • ESB: The Millennium Falcon deciding to dive into the asteroids, despite Threepio's admonitions
  • ESB: Yoda raising Luke's X-Wing
  • ESB: Han Solo being frozen
  • ESB: Every moment of the duel between Luke and Vader. I still tense up watching it
  • RotJ: Vader looking back and forth between Luke and Palpatine before deciding to toss his master down the reactor shaft. Such a great buildup! (side note: I saw this during a kid matinee, and a bunch of kids my age started screaming during this scene. "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?!" "DON'T LET HIM KILL YOUR SON!" etc., then a collective gasp when he finally stumbled into motion... this sequence will always be my go-to when referencing how a great movie/sequence can just utterly pull you in!)
I'm sure there will be at least one or two from TFA, but I'm still processing it.

Other moments of awesome:

ANH

-You don't need to see his identification.

-I've been waiting for this for a long time.. Yes...bet you have! BANG

-Han & chewie attack stormtroopers, they run away, Han gives chase....everyone comes to their senses. Stormtroopers then chase Han & Chewie.

-Ben glances at Luke, then at Vader. Ben smiles warmly. Ben closes his eyes. Ben disappears.

TESB

-Luke pulls the the lightsaber out of the ice with the force.

-Yoda, Yoda, and more Yoda.

-panic on the hyperdriveless falcon while being pursued by star destroyers. Han keeps his cool, flys the ship, repairs the ship, and aces an asteroid field.

-Vader blocks blaster fire wih his hand, blaster flys out of Hans hand and into Vader's. "We would be honored if you would join us."

-Vader toys with Luke, effortlessly repelling Luke's advances, mocking his skills early on in the lightsaber duel, even disarming him,

-Vader means business late in the duel, corners Luke, and disarms him again (literally this time). Then of course..."I am your father."

ROTJ

-Jabba's reveal

-the emperor, unarmed and completely unthreatened by Luke, just being awesomely evil in general.

-Luke getting pissed at Vader, swinging his lightsaber around wildly like a baseball bat, literally POUNDING Vader into submission, cutting off his hand.

TPM

-the trailer?

-A pissed off Obi-Wan pumps himself up, sprints through the lowered forcefield and goes all out attack on Darth Maul.

AOTC

-Not a god damn thing really. I guess it was cool to see an arena full of Jedi throw down...but it was a mixed bag.

-The end credits because the torture is over

ROTS

-Palpatine practically getting off on being eeeevil. Some of it was bad, but some of it was awesome. Evil smiles, laughs...etc.

-that silent, powerful, contemplative pause with Anakin...then Padme....right before Anakin decides to betray the Jedi order.

-order 66 was pretty powerful and dark stuff. Jedi execution. Yoda decapitates two clone troopers, then Chewie's reaction. He basically says: ...Whoa. Okay. I don't know WHY you just did that...but we gotta get you OUTTA HERE!

TFA

-the reveal of the falcon

-Chewie blasting that mother****er Ren for doing the unspeakable without hesitation

-Ren force grabs the lightsaber and it flies right passed him and into Rey's hand

***I'm still processing TFA, and unlike most of you nut cases in here, I've only seen it once :p

My favorite moment/shot in any of the movies is when they are freezing Han and the Imperial March is really taking hold and the smoke is filling the chamber and for a second or two the camera focuses on Vader's helmet with all the smoke around it.

I actually watched that scene last night thinking exactly the same thing. Love that shot.

ROTS: "I've waited a long time for this moment, my little green friend." - Darth Sidious as he slowly approaches Yoda ready to get it on.

As kids out in the school yard we used to imagine what it would be like if the Emperor, the most powerful Sith Lord, battled Yoda, the greatest Jedi Master. Now here we were, all grown up and finally getting to see it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

TPM:

Coruscant scenes: Majestic! It was a blend of modern skyscrapers, with the future, as well as a throwback to something like Metropolis.

Sebulba being a dick.

Quigon & Obi Wan VS Droidekas

Duel of the Fates: Probably the best duel of the series so far.

AOTC:

Obi Wan VS Jango Fett in Space

Obi Wan VS Jango Fett on Kamino

Anakin VS Sand People

Any scene with Christopher Lee

ROTS:

Opening space battle

Obi Wan & Anakin VS Dooku

Palpatine VS Mace and the Jedi Posse

Execution of Order 66

First part of Obi Wan VS Anakin

Obi Wan leaving Anakin for dead 'you were the chosen one!"

ANH:

Pretty much any scene with Obi Wan

Any scene with Tarkin

Han shoots first

Leia's Jail break

Obi Wan VS Vader

TESB:

Luke VS Wampa

Taun Tauns!

AT AT battle

Falcon dodging asteroids and TIE fighters scene

space worm

Falcon charging Star Destroyer, only to be revealed as hiding on the Star Destroyer hull

Yoda raising X wing

Luke in the Cave

The ENTIRE Luke VS Vader duel (second only to Duel of the fates)

Han being frozen

ROTJ

Luke being intimidating and force choking the guards

Leia thawing Han out

Death Star II being incomplete yet operational looked awesome

Any Scene with the Emperor

Luke VS Vader

Vader saving Luke from Palpy

TFA

Falcon escape from Jakku

BB8 scenes

Han and Chewie: "We're home"

Kylo Ren showing genuine fear of falling to the light side of the force.

Rey resisting Kylo Ren, and causing Ren to fear her.

Finn igniting the saber to fight Kylo Ren, even knowing it is probably a lost battle

Rey climbing the steps and meeting Luke

It's my favorite moment. That Episode IV score doesn't hurt either...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.