Snoke is NOT Darth Plagueis

Driver

I'm of the belief that the producers currently have no clue who Snoke is themselves and are gauging fan feedback to figure out where to go with it. I think the music was a tease to get people like us talking about it, and if the talk is mostly bad they'll go in a different direction. if not, they'll just go with Plagious to appease the PT folks, most of whom seem to feel left out by the new SW direction and deserve a bone, etc.

If this is their approach to the franchise then it's going to come crashing down rather quickly. This made me think of what Poe said in another thread.

...Eventually, the series will merge into every other big budget movie series and lose its magic...As it stands now, Star Wars is pretty much destined to become just another movie franchise as the years go by. It'll usually be made quite competently, but that's the main thing we'll have to say about it.

They know. They sketched out the trilogy beforehand. They didn't have the exact details of the scripts done, but they know what they're doing and where they're going.

**** like this isn't just done by winging it. And Disney doesn't wing ANYTHING.

JJ did say he left some things nebulous for E8 to figure out.

What Driver said. Not gonna bother digging up the exact quotes, but Kasdan has been saying the new characters were left deliberately vague so that each director has wriggle room to really put a unique stamp on their film. So what Kasdan, Abrams, and Arndt were thinking, perhaps intending with each character may be totally different than what we get in 8 and 9 (by the grace of Disney, ofc).

When you look at how much Lucas's plans changed during the making of the OT it's not that hard to believe. All you have to do is look at the Luke-Leia kissing scene. No way that happens if Lucas knew how the trilogy was going to end.

I've even read that at one point Lucas was going to have Luke turn to the dark side at the end of ROTJ but later changed his mind. Also read that the whole reason Han was frozen in ESB was because they weren't sure if they could get Harrison Ford back for ROTJ.

When you look at how much Lucas's plans changed during the making of the OT it's not that hard to believe. All you have to do is look at the Luke-Leia kissing scene. No way that happens if Lucas knew how the trilogy was going to end.

That's obvious. Star Wars and A New Hope were each part of very different story arcs.

So true. In Star Wars Darth Vader was a throwaway character who was originally supposed to die with the Death Star. In A New Hope he was essentially reconned to be the central figure in the whole story.

Much like Brian talking about the birds and the lilies, these people are making it up as they go along.

There's a monstrocity of a book out there about the secret history of SW, and the annotated screen plays are a good read for this sort of thing.

While no writer ends up with a perfectly produced version of the first draft of their original screen play (at least none I'm aware of), I was astounded by just how much SW had changed even by May of '77, when it first hit the big screen.

That book is great, and you can find a lot of the early drafts online. Even the one where Luke and Leia hook up knowing full well they are cousins.

The amount of terrible ideas dodged for ever Star Wars film, TFA Included, is pretty crazy.

That book is great, and you can find a lot of the early drafts online. Even the one where Luke and Leia hook up knowing full well they are cousins.

The amount of terrible ideas dodged for every Star Wars film, TFA Included, is pretty crazy.

The amount of terrible ideas dodged for ever Star Wars film, TFA Included, is pretty crazy.

The amount of terrible ideas dodged for every Star Wars film, TFA Included, is pretty crazy.

You Hollywood types and your damn doublespeak.

Guest El Chalupacabra

There's a monstrocity of a book out there about the secret history of SW, and the annotated screen plays are a good read for this sort of thing.

While no writer ends up with a perfectly produced version of the first draft of their original screen play (at least none I'm aware of), I was astounded by just how much SW had changed even by May of '77, when it first hit the big screen.

I had heard years ago that in the 1979 re-release, the scene with Vader regaining control of his TIE fighter and retreating after the Deathstar explodes was added to the 1977 version to explain Vader being in TESB, but wasn't originally in the 1977 version.

There's a PDF version of a 500 plus page book on the secret history of SW. No, I haven't read it.

The Annotated Screen Plays is a great book. I used to have it. Wonder if I still do?

I also like the fact that Mace Windu was the hero in one of the earliest rough drafts. Who would have played him back in those days, I wonder? Richard Roundtree?

I remember a bogus spoiler stating the new title would be An Ancient Fear. I love this title for one, I love histories of fictional universes and two, I think Luke/ new Jedi taking on someone/something that is an ancient force user would be so cool. I hope Snoke is this ancient thing.

If Snoke was THAT old, I'd be down. I just don't want him to be another Emperor. Some of dark side dude that just happened to rise up after The Emperor. But if he was old, way way old and was somehow in stasis, carbonite, hibernation or even entombed that would be cool.

How is that any different from a Sith Lord that was before Palpatine?

Well, it doesn't connect to the PT so it;s already better!

Snoke is probably just a guy who took advantage of a power vacuum after the Imperial government fell and carved out a domain using Imperial resources in his reach. He probably would never have been able to compete with Palpatine or Vader when they were around, but could invoke them after they're gone, convincing a fraction of the Imperial military to follow his lead. When the Jedi order was beginning to rise again, he apparently found it easy to subvert Luke's training of Ben Solo and gain an apprentice of his own.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.