Snoke is NOT Darth Plagueis

Driver

I don't think we will get too much backstory on Snoke. He is there for Ren to kill. Rey telling him that he's scared he won't be as strong as Vader is there for a reason. Ren wants to be greater than Vader. What's one thing Vader wanted to do and talked about on more than one occasion? Killing the Emperor and taking his place. Ren will accomplish this.

I just think they are very much going to focus on the characters role in the events transpiring, mainly Rey and Ren. That's what the OT had. There was a larger war/rebellion going on. The Rebels were stealing plans to Death Stars all over the place, Palpatine was disbanding the Senate but we just quickly heard of those things. I think this will follow that pattern.

I think we should get a fair bit of his backstory explained. Specifically, the questions that were obviously going to be raised automatically by his introduction, as it were, should definitely be addressed. Such as:

-how does Leia know him?

-why does he want either to find Luke OR prevent anyone else to locate him

-his face, he's been through some stuff. That deserves some degree of explanation.

-his motivation. It's unclear as of now. What does he want? Why does he want all the jedi dead? Revenge? Universe domination?

I saw somewhere that the music used for Snoke on the soundtrack for TFA was the same music used in ROTS when Palp told Anakin the Plagious story.

Similar, but not exact. Not sure if similar is enough. It is worthy of note, I'll say that much.

A lot of the TFA music was lifted from the other episodes. It's a way to link characters, not identify them. Using Luke's theme for Rey doesn't make Rey Luke, and borrowing the theme for Palpatine's tale of Plagueis for Snoke doesn't mean he (or she?) is Plagueis. Naboo isn't Dagobah and Kamino isn't Hoth either BTW.

That could just as easily be an echo of BIG BAD GUY theme, not specifically the same character

True, but of all the things Ren could have said about Snoke...he chose to call him wise.

If nothing else, it's fun to watch people who are super erect over this theory get excited about it. I'm not banking on it myself, but I'll be the first to admit that I'd find the connectivity to be kind of cool.

Star Wars gave back to Dune by building on it, by succeeding (in some ways) where Dune failed.

Aside from the first 3/4 of Dune Messiah being too slow and talky (which was totally made up for by the payoff of the final 1/4), the original Dune series failed in no way.

Regarding giving back: have said this before, but in all seriousness, I believe the hundreds of hours Herbert spent collecting "evidence" against ANH and ESB affected the later Dune entries. Just a small effect on God Emperor (1981): the actions sequences Herbert added when transcribing it from first to third person could very well have been carried out by Han Solo, and Siona is like a fanatically murderous Princess Leia. And in Heretics (1984) and Chapterhouse (1985), the "Star Wars Effect" is more apparent in both the pacing and the more cosmopolitan characters and locations.

I'm of the belief that the producers currently have no clue who Snoke is themselves and are gauging fan feedback to figure out where to go with it. I think the music was a tease to get people like us talking about it, and if the talk is mostly bad they'll go in a different direction. if not, they'll just go with Plagious to appease the PT folks, most of whom seem to feel left out by the new SW direction and deserve a bone, etc.

Aside from the first 3/4 of Dune Messiah being too slow and talky (which was totally made up for by the payoff of the final 1/4), the original Dune series failed in no way.

"Failed" might, perhaps have been the wrong word. The relevant question, though, is why do we discuss SW here and not Dune? Darth Vader is pretty damned iconic. Doubtful more than 5 people in 100 know who Vladimir Harkonnen even is.

Dune was a brilliant piece of work, make no mistake. As a work of high science fantasy prose, perhaps the best there's ever been. Herbert accomplished something BIG here. He did, quite literally, drag the epic romance; the Campbellian monomyth out of the dark ages. Luke Skywalker would never have left Middle Earth had it not been for Dune, all comparisons between Gandalf and Obi Wan aside.

But while he modernized the setting, and the technological, social and ecological themes of the epic story, Herbert did not modernize its delivery. Dune is a highly complex and dense piece of prose. While a cynic might say that Lucas merely dumbed down Dune for the cinema when he made ANH, I figure that's precisely where his genius lie. He stripped away a LOT of baggage and got right to the archetypes, that he then presented in a modern medium more befitting its technological setting - film as opposed to prose. I suspect that's really why SW has become so iconic a pop-cultural phenomina while Dune is more regarded as more brilliant, but also more elite and inaccessable.

Dune is the Obi-Wan (who also always kind of reminded me of Stilgar) to the Luke Skywalker that is SW. Skywalker could not have become what he did had it not been for Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan could not have accomplished what Skywalker eventually did. So it is with Dune and SW.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.