Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

I remember the beginning of one episode of Lost where the first 60 seconds were nothing but seeing the back of a woman's head, her feet, her hand on the door knob, etc rather than show her face. The only problem was

1) we knew immediately who she was because her hair and body type werw distinctive.

2) they showed her face at the end of that scene anyway

3) there was no "gasp" big shock she'd be there because it was a new location and no other characters were involved

So there was literally NO REASON to work so hard to not show her face for the first minute. None.

This is classic JJ Abrams and one of my few problems with him. He's so obsessed with mysteries he creates them when they aren't earned, don't matter, and ultimately feel stupid and annoying.

I personally have no problem with his style. I don't mind the mysteries that aren't mysteries (can you hear me now, Khan), and I don't mind the mysteries that aren't explained because sometimes the explanation of the mystery doesn't work (or fit the overall story).

A lot of people are complaining about things in TFA that aren't explained. How did Maz get the lightsaber, and so forth. Maybe it'll get explained, maybe it won't . If it doesn't, is it that hard to come up with your own conclusions? How much screen time do you really want to waste on a minor plot point?

These things don't need to be explained, they are secondary to the story.

Its like telling a story of a night out and you are telling the story and get to a point and say "and we ran into Joe and John" then the person you are talking to say "oh what were they doing there?" and you quickly say "it doesn't matter." What they were doing there doesn't matter, what matters is how they affect the story you are telling. How the saber got to Maz's doesn't matter. How it affects Rey does.

My theory on Rey is this: She is Han and Leia's daughter.

Here is what I think may have happened:

When Kylo was turned to the dark side Snoke ordered him to kill all the young Force strong potential students of Luke. Which he did, other than the one he couldn't bring himself to, his sister. Instead he takes her to Jakku and leaves her there.

Now in TFA this explains why he is so angry when he hears about a girl. He knows that if Snoke finds out what he's done, it ain't gonna be good for him.

As for Han not mentioning it to Rey, there are 2 possibilities. The first is that he does know, but doesn't ever feel the time is right to tell her. At Maz's when she asks him who the girl is the scene ends before Han can answer. The 2nd possibility is that Han doesn't know at first. Rey could be a fake name, Han has no idea she was ever on Jakku, thinks she's been dead for years. So no reason to think this girl is his daughter. Maybe when Leia meets her she does know but doesn't say anything? Or maybe she has no idea too.

Ofcourse the only issue is that she does seem old enough in the vision to remember something about her early life. But maybe that's not the first time she was left somewhere. Maybe she was shuffled around the Galaxy before ending up on Jakku.

Something like this could be great motivation for Ren. In his mind Vader made a big mistake by being sentimental towards his son so now he has to do anything he can to fix the mistake he made of being sentimental towards his sister.

Just a theory, one of dozens I;m sure ill have and completely believe in that moment between now and Episode VIII.

• 2 weeks later...

Just throwing crap at the wall on this one.

I really don't think that Rey is going to be Luke's kid unless he never knew he had one in the first place. Plus I think there were purposely a lot of hints to connect her to Luke, Han, and Obi Wan. I think that was done on purpose.

What if Padme faked her death for the same reasons the twins were hidden? She used decoys before, maybe she faked her death and went to Alderaan to act as a nanny or something to stay near Leia. Could help fill a few holes. During that time she remarried and had another child, the Father being Lor Sen Tekka. Rey is Padme and Lor Sen Tekka's granddaughter. Blood to Luke and Leia, just not Skywalker. She would represent the blood line of Luke, Leia, and Ben Solo, without having Skywalker in her.

Point one-- it's just as likely he knew of her, but didn't know she was alive until she touched that saber. This so much unknown, there's a lot of ways to play it.

Point two-- aside from Rey looking like Padme, I super doubt any PT characters will show up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.