Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

"Choke draft" is the best thing ever. LMFAO

We all joked about it-- but in one of the special features in the TFA home release Kathleen pretty much out and says it. She says that when Arndt said it would take A YEAR for a solid and refined second draft and that they didn't have time for that.

I mean, one-- OUCH. To be called out in a making of video? Harsh. She must really be unhappy with him. And TWO-- a YEAR!? Come on dude.

You'd be SHOCKED how long some writers spend on a movie. It takes me about a month for a solid, clean first draft. Sometimes a little less. Studios are ALWAYS surprised when I say that. I don't know if most writers are really slow, but a YEAR to write a 2 hour movie.

That's ridiculous. Arndt choked under the pressure of STAR WARS-- which, on one hand I get-- but on the other hand, man up and WRITE. It was the opportunity of a lifetime. If I got a Star Wars movie there would be no stopping me. I'd write non-stop out of pure joy. Even Leatherface fueled me like that. As a horror fan it was like somebody paid me to write my dream fanfic and then canonized it.

If Arndt's is the SW scholar/lover he claims to be and couldn't pull it off? Choke-city.

Right!?

To give him the benefit of the doubt, it was pretty much known to be the biggest movie of all time even at the earliest stages, and there was a LOT riding on it. Disney's investment, the future of the franchise, Lucasfilm as an entity sans Lucas-- that is an ungodly amount of pressure.

Maybe he really loved the EU and wrote the story he wanted to write and they told him NOPE DO OVER. That would be pretty crushing. Studio notes are no fun to get-- but still. I think I'd be able to play ball.

1.NEW THEORY though-- if she isn't family, then she and Kylo Ren are going to fall in love. Something is going to happen to put them together again, and she's going to see some good in him, and he's going to see some anger in her, and they are going to fight for each other. That would be a different but same way to present the good vs. evil fight.

2. At the end of the day, if she isn't a Skywalker, it's going to be harder for people to accept her power. I let her abilities pass in TFA assuming she was a Skywalker, and therefor potentially stronger than Luke. If she's not a Skywalker it sort of robs from the idea that the saga is about that family.

3. Wouldn't be a problem in Obi-Wan was the central character in the PT as originally planned OH LOOK I WAS STILL ABLE TO BASH THE PT!

1. Oh, God, no. A romance between those two would be weak plotting so overused (hero falls for the villain), and takes Rey away from whatever true challenges she will face without that kind of unnecessary (for a Jedi or padawan on a mission) emotional stumbling block.

How about SW grow a big pair and have Rey turn to the dark side like ROTS Anakin--buying Snoke's salespitch to bring order, (actually, that's expected, since the villains are so interested in her), while Ren goes in the opposite direction (without sacrificing himself like ROTJ Vader). This trilogy wanted to break new ground with female characters, well, that would do it.

Imagine how that would drive Luke, Finn and others into dramatic, dangerous territory.

2. About accepting her power: Your ever-so-loved prequels established that the galaxy is not short on force sensitive beings of various levels of ability. She could (ultimately) feel the force as much as we would assume young Obi-Wan did. He was no slacker in becoming very powerful at an early age, and was not a Skywalker, so that could be the case with Rey.

Regarding the saga being about the Skywalker family, we know that, but as Disney produces more non-episode SW films, the more the audience (the general, non-obsessive nerd audience) will believe SW is a larger universe with pivotal events guided by equally pivotal characters not named (or necessarily associated with) Skywalker.

3. Yes, you did bash. We need a Driver Prequels Basher counter....

1. I think people would lose their minds if Rey went evil. Plus, like Vader, you can't REALLY redeem Kylo after he kills THE MENTOR. Vader came back to the light, but narratively he has to die doing it. I don't think a Rey/Ren romance would be all that terrible if it wasn't heavy handed. It could be brief. She saves his life after everything he's done, and he can't shake that feeling and it turns to something deeper, and he sacrifices himself to save her. Doesn't have to be a lot of space dates and space kissing.

2. Agreed on the movies spreading out-- but Kennedy has said while the "episodes" are about the Skywalker clan, the other movies are saved for everyone else. Honestly, her comment is the main holdout I have for Rey still being a Skywalker.

3. There was one but I broke it

Sidebar-- I know onscreen he ain't much. I just always bought into the image. I'm really hoping Forest Whitaker's character has a killer masked haven seen and he becomes the bad ass space bounty hunter we deserve

Guest El Chalupacabra

Mara:

Give us a basic plot outline?

Driver:

I know this is another discussion, but after seeing Forest Whittaker in 'The Shield', I'm so excited to see what he brings to Rogue One.

How about Ghost Dog or Last King of Scotland? Soft spoken bad-ass is something he knows.

I've not seen him in anything else!

But I would definitely watch him again.

The thing with The Shield was that it was full of performers and performances. But this guy comes in mad way through and was absolutely breathtaking. He should have got an award for his role.

His acting gave such life to his character and his acting made the character so complex. I could find so many words to describe Lieutenant Jon Kavanaugh: Tough, Creepy, Relentless, Determined, Manipulative, Adversarial, Cerebral, Volatile, Crazy, Calculating ...

I could go on and on. The writing was good but he just brought it to a whole 'nother level.

[edit] he won a vision award for best actor for the shield and he had one other nomination for the role [/edit]

Mara:

Give us a basic plot outline?

Driver:

I know this is another discussion, but after seeing Forest Whittaker in 'The Shield', I'm so excited to see what he brings to Rogue One.

Well, that depends on the time period. If it's during the Dark Times or the OT, it'd involve Boba trying to live up to his father's legacy and dealing with the fact that all these clones share his DNA while also fighting with other bounty hunters (and hate-****ing them, of course).

If it's after Return of the Jedi, we have to deal with him getting out of the sarlacc pit and coming to terms with him being a complete and utter failure as a bounty hunter. He tries to make another way in life, but gets dragged back into bounty hunting by a mysterious man who he winds up falling in love with.

Call me, Del Rey!

(Actually, the second idea might make a good original novel - minus the sarlacc pit of course. Hmm.)

Guest El Chalupacabra

All I can say is if you like Forest Whitaker, then stay away from watching Criminal Minds Suspect Behavior. I didn't think much of Ghost Dog, either.

Last King of Scotland is probably his best role to date. He was good in Phone Booth and Panic Room. Most other movies he's in, he is a supporting actor, or offbeat roles. Some you've heard of, but you'd be like "he was in that?" (IE Fast Times at Ridgmont High, Vision Quest, Platoon, Crying Game, Species, Blown Away, Battlefied Earth, etc).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.