Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

I've always took the rebels using "May the Force be with you" as being representative of the ties of their founders to the Jedi before the Empire hunted them down given Bail Organa's ties to Obi-wan. I read it as them viewing that the Force would help them defeat the Empire for their crimes. :shrug:

I've always took the rebels using "May the Force be with you" as being representative of the ties of their founders to the Jedi before the Empire hunted them down given Bail Organa's ties to Obi-wan. I read it as them viewing that the Force would help them defeat the Empire for their crimes.

that is too far reasonable and displays too much knowledge of the source material

disqualified

I've always took the rebels using "May the Force be with you" as being representative of the ties of their founders to the Jedi before the Empire hunted them down given Bail Organa's ties to Obi-wan. I read it as them viewing that the Force would help them defeat the Empire for their crimes.

that is too far reasonable and displays too much knowledge of the source material

disqualified

Yeah, well you've got a small midichlorian count.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, well you've got a small midichlorian count.

That's the spirit!

Wait - are we pro-twirling or anti-twirling? 'Cause the PT did a lot of twirling, and it wasn't well-liked. There may be a connection there.

Nothing wrong with twirling if it's not stupid twirling.

Darth Maul's twirlies made sense, because it was a form of distraction and illustrated his impatience/nervous energy (notice Qui-Gon meditating as Maul paces around like an agitated tiger).

The Anakin/Obi twirlies were stupid... but then again, who cares, 'cause that whole fight was stupid, sooooooo...

For ghosts of twirlies future:

Kylo might be a natural twirler, given his inferiority complex.

Rey could go either way.

In other words, I'm pro-sensical twirlies.

Twirling while you're shifting stances or positions: pro

Twirling if you're an over-confident bad guy: pro

Twirling nonstop and cutting through weightless fake cgi cannon fodder: against

Twirling when your opponent is right in front of you also twirling: double against

Bad twirling:

If you're trying to kill someone, you STOP to go "OOH! Look at ME! I've got a LIGHTsaber!" and start twirling it around to make pretty patterns in the air. If you find that stimulating and interesting, you're eleven years old.

Example: ROTS Obi vs Vader, matching twirls

Fine twirling:

In a fight to the death, as lightsabers are meant to be and usually are, picking your spots in tiny breaks in the action to add a little showmanship and flair to pretty-up the fight. But, it doesn't add much else in the way of martial art, and is mostly unnecessary.

Example: TPM Jinn, Obi; TFA Kylo.

Good twirling:

When dueling a skillful opponent, twirling used as a feign, open up opponents guard, or to confuse, cause hesitation, and other such realistic martial art techniques...which improves the quality of the fight scene.

Example: TPM Darth Maul.

So, the recent novel Bloodline reveals more about the timeline of Ben turning dark and throws a wrench into a lot of my theories about Rey being left on Jakku. Therefore I am reluctantly admitting that Rey is probably not Luke's daughter. :(

HOWEVER, if she's not I hope they double down on the found family theme and that Luke becomes like a father to Rey.

I'm fascinated with this GIF.

At the very end of her second twirl she seems to let get of the saber and let it spin round her hand... I could be wrong because t's not great quality but it looks amazing.

So, the recent novel Bloodline reveals more about the timeline of Ben turning dark and throws a wrench into a lot of my theories about Rey being left on Jakku. Therefore I am reluctantly admitting that Rey is probably not Luke's daughter. :(

fuck.

It still doesn't answer the question of why the hell Rey was left on Jakku!

Spoilers for Bloodline under the cut but I'm sure most of you won't read it anyway:

Ben still hasn't turned in the book, which takes place about 6 years before TFA. Therefore, Rey is left on Jakku loooooong before Ben turns. So she couldn't have been stashed there for her own safety after the massacre.

Of course, this doesn't why she was left on Jakku in the first place if the galaxy was still at peace. GAH. So many unanswered questions.

HOWEVER, if she's not I hope they double down on the found family theme and that Luke becomes like a father to Rey.

I want to say that I LAUGH AT YOU for refusing to learn a lesson. I KNOW STORY GROUP PABLO and all, but a book is not going to confirm diddly poop, and if they want to change things for a movie, they will. Obviously it's more controlled than the George days of him doing what he wanted and the EU scrambling to fix the holes he created--

But come on, if Trevorow decides in IX that he wants to reveal Rey as Luke's daughter he is going to pitch it hard to the brain trust and it could happen. They make movies first-- they won't throw out a good idea because "a book we published a year ago says it can't happen."

That will never be the case. Ever. Movie-making is organic, these things are not planned out to the smallest beat. Rey and Finn's relationship was rewritten AFTER they had already started shooting TFA. Good ideas win out, and no book is going to stop that.

As for the Rey/Luke question...

I stand by all my initial statements, Rey was 100% planned and subsequently telegraphed to be Luke's kid.

That said, I'm more inclined now to think that those beats are more hold-overs from Arndt's choke-draft than intentional bits in the Kasdan/Abrams version. I think JJ came in and said this is a great character BUT MYSTERY BOX. It wasn't a bad decision, there was enough going on in the movie that it likely would have been yet too much more to have Rey's lineage in the mix. That said, you'd think by now he'd have recognized, after Star Trek and Lost, that his mystery box pisses people off more than it intrigues them. As such, now Rey's lineage can't be a non-issue because too much has been made of it.

If they continue to draw OT parallels, Rey's parent(s) would have been Luke's star pupil... which was Kylo Ren I'm guessing. Kylo as Rey's dad would make some weird sense, but obviously the age difference isn't big enough for that to work. But Kylo Ben certainly killed at least one of Rey's parents.

I'm at a loss as to who her parents are. I'd prefer she was a Skywalker, but if Luke is a surrogate father I'd be okay with that. I can cite the Force as evidence a million ways, but it works mysteriously, so really, the only hard piece of evidence that Rey is connected is the fact that she and the Falcon ended up with the same person.

NEW THEORY though-- if she isn't family, then she and Kylo Ren are going to fall in love. Something is going to happen to put them together again, and she's going to see some good in him, and he's going to see some anger in her, and they are going to fight for each other. That would be a different but same way to present the good vs. evil fight.

At the end of the day, if she isn't a Skywalker, it's going to be harder for people to accept her power. I let her abilities pass in TFA assuming she was a Skywalker, and therefor potentially stronger than Luke. If she's not a Skywalker it sort of robs from the idea that the saga is about that family.

Wouldn't be a problem in Obi-Wan was the central character in the PT as originally planned OH LOOK I WAS STILL ABLE TO BASH THE PT!

I'm fascinated with this GIF.

At the very end of her second twirl she seems to let get of the saber and let it spin round her hand... I could be wrong because t's not great quality but it looks amazing.

SHE DOES DO THAT and it is amazing.

For a girl anyway.

I want to say that I LAUGH AT YOU for refusing to learn a lesson. I KNOW STORY GROUP PABLO and all, but a book is not going to confirm diddly poop, and if they want to change things for a movie, they will. Obviously it's more controlled than the George days of him doing what he wanted and the EU scrambling to fix the holes he created--

Nope, I'm not learning a lesson. Also, Rian Johnson had input on the book. :p

(I'm not saying it's impossible that Rey is Luke's daughter, I'm just saying it's unlikely. I WANT to be proven wrong.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.