Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

Guest El Chalupacabra

Leia doesn't hate Kylo-- she's the one person in TFA that knows he's conflicted and wants him back.

I suppose it could go that way, too, but she's the one who hated Vader (for torturing her, Freezing Han, and no doubt, having a hand in Tarkin's order to destroy Alderaan), and Luke was the one who thought he could be redeemed. Leia was the one who always was the pragmatist, and was able to cut losses when necessary. Obviously before Kylo killed Han, yeah, she thought he could be brought back to the light. But after killing Han, I am thinking she probably lost all hope for Kylo. Not that EU is necessarily any gauge for the new Star Wars movies, but TFA definitely seems to borrow some of the high points from EU. And EU Leia does give up on Jacen Solo, so I think its possible Canon Leia will echo that, and give up on Kylo.

And part of the Jyn being Rey's mom theory is that she hooks up with Luke.

I hate that idea.

I don't care if Mara Jade (or a Mara Jade-like character) shows up in the movies to be Luke's main squeeze, or some other female character totally different ends up being Luke's Baby-Mama, but I definitely would like all of the Rogue One characters to remain separate from the Skywalker characters, and not have anything to do with one another, other than they just happen to be part of the rebellion.

I am hoping that Jyn is basically the movie version of Jan Ors (all in but name, as I am sure there are legal reasons to prevent Jyn actually being Jan). Hell Diego Luna looks enough like Kyle Katarn (at least superficially), to be the movie analogue of Katarn. It would be kind of cool to work out that way, but with the role reversal where Jyn is the main protag, and Luna's character is the support protag.

Obviously before Kylo killed Han, yeah, she thought he could be brought back to the light. But after killing Han, I am thinking she probably lost all hope for Kylo. Not that EU is necessarily any gauge for the new Star Wars movies, but TFA definitely seems to borrow all the high points from EU. And EU Leia does give up on Jacen Solo

When people ask why I think the EU got the characters wrong-- here's a great reason. Leia doesn't give up. Leia is a bulldog. Her whole planet gets obliterated because of her and she keeps going. When here base is falling to pieces and all the other generals have evacuated, she's still there keeping things going.

She could have taken some politician's chair and gone back to an easy life as a senator, but she chose to go and start a resistance movement in First Order space. Leia doesn't give up on anything-- especially her own kid.

Forgive him for killing Han? Maybe not. But let Ben go? No way. If IX ends with Kylo redeemed, but alive, I see Leia being the one to lock him up-- but also the only one who comes to visit him.

I hate that idea.

I don't care if Mara Jade (or a Mara Jade-like character) shows up in the movies, to be Luke's main squeeze, or some other female character totally different ends up being Luke's Baby-Mama, but I definitely would like all of the Rogue One characters to remain separate from the Skywalker characters, and not have anything to do with one another, other than they just happen to be part of the rebellion.

I am hoping that Jyn is basically the movie version of Jan Ors (all in but name, as I am sure there are legal reasons to prevent Jyn actually being Jan). Hell Diego Luna looks enough like Kyle Katarn (at least superficially), to be the movie analogue of Katarn. It would be kind of cool to work out that way, but with the role reversal where Jyn is the main protag, and Luna's character is the support protag.

I don't know that it has weight. And if it did, we'd never have to see them together-- it could be a line in Episode 8 and have nothing at all in Rogue One. Plus, I wouldn't worry about seeing any of the Rogue One cast anywhere else.

Oh, and I'm pulling for Diego to be Biggs... he's got the stache...

Guest El Chalupacabra

When people ask why I think the EU got the characters wrong-- here's a great reason. Leia doesn't give up. Leia is a bulldog. Her whole planet gets obliterated because of her and she keeps going. When here base is falling to pieces and all the other generals have evacuated, she's still there keeping things going.

She could have taken some politician's chair and gone back to an easy life as a senator, but she chose to go and start a resistance movement in First Order space. Leia doesn't give up on anything-- especially her own kid.

Forgive him for killing Han? Maybe not. But let Ben go? No way. If IX ends with Kylo redeemed, but alive, I see Leia being the one to lock him up-- but also the only one who comes to visit him.

Eh, That makes sense, too. I am definitely not saying that is wrong, because that would also be consistent with Leia's character.

But, it makes more sense to me that Leia would turn against Kylo. I have no evidence to offer beyond my opinion, and her feelings towards Vader. I personally think it would be a lot more interesting to see Leia consumed with the need to destroy the First Order, and stop Kylo, at an obsessive Ahab-like level. Maybe her goal is not necessarily to kill Kylo, but to stop him and see that he pays for what he has done, and believing he is irredeemable. We have to remember Leia is now a battle-hardened general, who has likely sent thousands to their deaths, including loved ones. You can argue that she is at least partially responsible for encouraging Han to try to bring Kylo back, even though Han knew Kylo was a lost cause. I think Leia would learn from that, and the general side to her would finally cut her losses with Kylo. I also think it would be interesting to see her and Luke at odds over Kylo. It would totally be in Luke's nature to believe Kylo could be redeemed and trying to talk Leia down, and I can see Leia at odds with that. Not just because she is in pain over the loss of Han, but because she would see Luke coming back from hiding, and trying to say what's what, and from Leia's point of view, Luke hasn't spent any time in the real world in years, and is just preaching from his Jedi ivory tower.

Oh, and I'm pulling for Diego to be Biggs... he's got the stache...

I'm for that, too!

Unlike Han and Luke. Those guys were totally set up in the Original Trilogy as quitters the moment things got tough.

:yes:

Latest internet theory-- Rogue One's star is Rey's mom.

I hate the internet.

Because you know, it couldn't have been any of the other females in the galaxy. It has to be the one that just so happens to lead the charge on stealing the Death Star plans.

Looking for Rey's mother HEY - THERE'S A FEMALE! IT'S GOTTA BE HER!

Because you know, it couldn't have been any of the other females in the galaxy.

Hey, choices are apparently slim in Star Wars and he put all his eggs in the Leia basket. Luke's been in four movies (five if you want to count Revenge of the Sith) and he's still never spoken a single word to a woman who wasn't related to him.

- As I said in a previous post on here somewhere, she clearly looks to have fallen right off the Padme/Shmi family tree. To me, she looks more like Shmi than Padme. Definitely resembles them both for sure though.

- To me, the scene of finding Anakin's lightsaber was to Rey what the Dagobah tree cave was to Luke - but without warning. Remember the dialogue - "What's in there?" "Only what you take with you." Yup. That was her tree cave, and she vs Kylo Ren were to her what facing Vader on Bespin was to Luke. Revelation. Discovery. New sense of self. I really loved the retread of these notions for Rey that Luke experienced. That being said...

- I think she's Luke's girl. You could possibly argue that the theme in the tree cave and in the basement happened first with Anakin with his dreams, and that it's a family thing perhaps because the force is so damn strong with them - so it's all so much more vivid and telling of their fortunes, or more simply, that's why we see these things with these thrtee characters. It's all in the family.

- For me, Rey becoming a major player and main protagonist instead of Finn was an easy call. Maybe the trailers showed too much of her denouncing any kind of purpose for her life with her insistence that she was no one. That usually means you're someone.

- RE: Han and Leia not telling Rey about Luke...

Luke: (to Obi-Wan) Why didn't you tell me? - Return of the Jedi

Rey: (to Leia) Why didn't you tell me? - Episode VIII or IX

- Huge YES to the first point about the visions being Luke's or shared with Luke

- Rey is what Anakin should have been - the age she is when we meet her, the inclination to do literally everything non-Jedi related when we meet her, and the ability to be a Jedi after some prodding. I doubt that was an accident. Maybe a bit of that had to do with listening to fans who said this is how we should have met Anakin?

- Meeting a third character on a desert with undiscovered Force abilities, and having them not be a Skywalker after the first two were...well that would be just plain rude at this point...lol

- Will we meet the mother? Hear of her? Would Abrams and Disney dare go there..?

If she is the daughter of Luke, then I'd like to have a very good explanation as to why 1.) She believed her father to be a myth. Her conversation with Han certainly reveals she believed Luke did not really exist as a person, 2.) Why Luke, who becomes a recluse and hides from the rest of the galaxy, would not take his daughter with him? The easy answer is to protect her, should he be discovered. Yet, he has done a rather fantastic job of hiding himself and is apparently the only person in the galaxy to pass on the legacy of the Jedi to Rey. If he goes, then so does the legacy of the Jedi. So, why not take her with him and begin instructing her as a Jedi, subsequently place her in hiding until she is ready to be revealed as a Jedi, thereby preserving the Jedi legacy and 3.) She's a child when left on the planet, and if left by her parents, such as Luke, then why not remember Luke and 4.) She is completely foreign to Han and Lei, why?

I am not opposed to the idea but for me, this leaves so much to be explained and resolved, and has the potential to result in the same disaster of Lucas' explanation as to how Leia remembered her mother while she was a newborn, indeed just a few minutes outside the womb, which made for poor movie story telling.

1. Because she grew up not knowing him, but Luke Skywalker has become a huge figure int he galaxy, and as such sometimes his story is no doubt exaggerated.

2. We don't know when he went into hiding into relation as to when Rey was dropped off. We also don't know the circumstances of her being left behind and whether Luke was even a party to it.

3. Memory can be unreliable-- especially when you're around people who can manipulate minds with space magic. Just theorizing.

4. The more I watch it, the more I think Han knows who she is. Not at first, but by the time he's giving her a gun and wanting to keep her close with a "a job" the looks he gives her tells me he's realized who she is, but doesn't feel it is his place to say anything-- but he clearly wants to protect her.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.