Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

Totally. I don't get the logic that if it happened in the OT then it MUST be adhered to in the ST. Like how on earth does Kylo Ren NOT being redeemed undermine Vader's redemption? That's just crazy talk. Vader's story is his own. Kylo's his own.

I really hope the writers can stop playing lip service to what has come before and do something new, bold an unexpected. Fandom's expectations be damned.

I get what you're saying about its about echos. The franchise has always been about that.

What's most interesting to me is how the others feel about him now. Leia for instance. A mother never gives up on her kid ... but Han was the love of her life. How would you write that, Mara? I'm curious how the writers will deal with that.

Because Star Wars had one of the biggest twists in movie history people seem to expect massive conspiracies when mostly, Star Wars is very simple and straight forward.

This is being presented as a mystery though. It wouldn't need to be a massive conspiracy to use the most obvious answer as a red herring. Particularly given that the clues in that direction are rather subtle to the point where you can't discount the idea that you MAY be imagining those clues in the first place.

Anyway-- tricking us into thinking she is a Skywalker would be pointless. That would imply the truth is somehow bigger.

Not bigger, just different. I can go both ways. If she turns out to be a Skywalker, then Rey and Ben are two aspects of Anakin. Rey as the innocent that was found in Tatooine. Ben as his transition to Vader.

If she turns out to be born from Palpatine, then she follows Luke's path of finding herself burdened with a legacy of evil. This fits in with Kylo Ren seeking redemption and the role that Rey would have in achieving that end.

Watching it the other night I thought it was telling that Han offered Rey a job just after she tells him her name. As though it confirmed his suspicion about who she was, and he needed to find a way to keep her around.

But it's easy to read into things, of course.

Edit: on the Kylo subject, what would redemption look like in the Star Wars world when the redeemed person doesn't immediately die? Unless Kylo single-handedly destroyed Snoke and then took out most of the First Order, would anybody (non-family) trust that he was redeemed? Even if most people forgave him, wouldn't there be a political desire to hold him accountable for his actions? Star Wars XII: The Trial of Ben sounds pretty lame.

Just typing train of thought, though, maybe he would exile himself "forever," but later be called on by Rey or somebody else out of desperation.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I get what you're saying about its about echos. The franchise has always been about that.

What's most interesting to me is how the others feel about him now. Leia for instance. A mother never gives up on her kid ... but Han was the love of her life. How would you write that, Mara? I'm curious how the writers will deal with that.

I would say Leia has intense hatred of Kylo and she double-downs on leading the Resistance to destroy the First Order and Kylo, but Luke may still want to redeem Kylo. This would then cause a rift between Luke and Leia.

Latest internet theory-- Rogue One's star is Rey's mom.

Haven't seen that, yet. I suppose its possible that Rey's last name could be revealed as Erso, but I think that would kind of suck, and at this point I have accepted Rey as a Skywalker. If Rey isn't, it would be a let down to me. I also hope Rogue One characters are self contained and kept separate from the Skywalker kinfolks.

That said, I have seen comparisons of Jyn Erso to Jan Ors (of the Dark Forces\Jedi Knight video game series), to the point people are saying they are one and the same.

Edit: on the Kylo subject, what would redemption look like in the Star Wars world when the redeemed person doesn't immediately die?

Maybe it'd look like Episode X?

The films are apparently going to keep on going. So redemption doesn't have to be a one and done thing.

I would say Leia has intense hatred of Kylo and she double-downs on leading the Resistance to destroy the First Order and Kylo, but Luke may still want to redeem Kylo. This would then cause a rift between Luke and Leia.

Latest internet theory-- Rogue One's star is Rey's mom.

Haven't seen that, yet. I suppose its possible that Rey's last name could be revealed as Erso, but I think that would kind of suck, and at this point I have accepted Rey as a Skywalker. If Rey isn't, it would be a let down to me. I also hope Rogue One characters are self contained and kept separate from the Skywalker kinfolks.

That said, I have seen comparisons of Jyn Erso to Jan Ors (of the Dark Forces\Jedi Knight video game series), to the point people are saying they are one and the same.

Leia doesn't hate Kylo-- she's the one person in TFA that knows he's conflicted and wants him back.

And part of the Jyn being Rey's mom theory is that she hooks up with Luke.

There's an old comics story where one of the characters was redeemed from the dark side but lost the ability to use the Force.

Ulic Qel-Droma? Killed his brother if I recall and was stripped of his powers by Nomi Sunrider.

It is one way. The outcome was interesting at least, he went on to apprentice Nomi Sunrider's daughter even though he couldn't touch the Force anymore. That would make for a good continuation of the character in the future. Though, I somewhat doubt they'll use old comics as much of a resource.

Her being Reys mom seems very impractical.

Rogue One takes place roughly 15 years before Rey is even born, so the revelation can't come in Rogue One.

The numbered Episodes are going to be far more watched and popular than the other movies. I don't think there will be a callback to Rogue one in XIII or IX because alot of people watching won't be familar with Rogue One.

I suppose it is possible the "Rogue One" could end up being her ending up in Luke's Rogue Squadron or something up there with Luke fighting the Death Star and all that, but it'd be odd to insert a love interest for Luke into the Original Trilogy. If Luke ended up with a wife and Rey to go along with his super premature aging (seriously, people complain about the Ewan McGreggor/Alec Guiness gap not being realistic?), I really think that story needs to take place after Return of the Jedi.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.