Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

Of all the ideas that have been floated (Gray Jedi, Evil Luke, No Light/Dark Force), I would take reincarnated Chosen One. But I would prefer Naboo=Dagobah.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm gonna laugh if Rey's parentage isn't revealed until episode 9

I seriously think it won't be. We were just introduced to Rey in Ep 7. Ep 8 we will learn more about her, but I think if there is going to be any parallel with the OT and PT, revealing who her parents are really can't happen until 9. We didn't learn Luke's father was Vader for sure until ROTJ, and got the "bonus" reveal of Leia being his sister. PT had the question (albeit a weak one) of who Darth Sidious was, and what event it would be that would push Anakin to the dark side.

I think Ep 8 will focus more on the training of Rey and Kylo, and if there is a reveal, it will be what it was that caused Kylo to go to the dark side (probably in the form of how Snoke corrupted him). Ep 9 will hopefully reveal Rey's parents and where exactly Snoke came from.

I seriously think it won't be. We were just introduced to Rey in Ep 7. Ep 8 we will learn more about her, but I think if there is going to be any parallel with the OT and PT, revealing who her parents are really can't happen until 9. We didn't learn Luke's father was Vader for sure until ROTJ, and got the "bonus" reveal of Leia being his sister.

Good call. We take it for granted now but back between ESB and ROTJ many people believed Vader was lying.

There's also the matter of Abrams' "one of these people isn't who they seem" descriptions of the ST group.

I've often wondered if adults who watched Star Wars back when the OT came out didn't know. As a kid I was dumb enough not to be sure, but now looking back (even if RotJ had never been made for some reason), it's painfully obvious. The big build up to this dramatic moment, the music, you don't do that just to have "lolz, jk man!" in the sequel.

So either it was just us kids at the time who were in doubt and the adults all understood or audiences in general just weren't as sophisticated as they are today, cuz I really can't see a moment like that being ambiguous to today's audiences.

The big debate on my 4th grade recess field was whether or not Dwayne and Sarah had really had sex, as he claimed, and what sex was.

I've often wondered if adults who watched Star Wars back when the OT came out didn't know. As a kid I was dumb enough not to be sure, but now looking back (even if RotJ had never been made for some reason), it's painfully obvious. The big build up to this dramatic moment, the music, you don't do that just to have "lolz, jk man!" in the sequel.

I think the aftermath is what confirmed it. As they escape Bespin in the Falcon with Vader in hot pursuit, when Vader calls to Luke through the Force, Luke answers "father" so matter-of-factly that it left no doubt Vader was telling the truth. Luke's further reaction where he just slumps in the chair in complete sorrow wondering why Obi Wan had lied to him cemented it. They nailed it.

The big debate on my recess field in 4th grade was that Luke was actually a clone of Darth Vader because we took the cave sequence literally.

I'm not sure if at that age my friends and I understood what clones even were.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Well, GL did reveal Boba Fett's "True Identity," just not the one we wanted.

Oh. And THUNDARRRRR!

I would like Rey's parentage NOT to ever be explained. Rey is just Rey,,, just some orphan. That is good enough for me. She is a strong enough character that she doesn't need the word Skywalker behind her name to be awesome. I hate the trope of "the chosen one". Can't someone just become awesome on their own hard work and persistence?

That being said, she is totally someone's kid...skywalker or palpatine or IG-88 or whatever.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I would like Rey's parentage NOT to ever be explained. Rey is just Rey,,, just some orphan. That is good enough for me. She is a strong enough character that she doesn't need the word Skywalker behind her name to be awesome. I hate the trope of "the chosen one". Can't someone just become awesome on their own hard work and persistence?

That being said, she is totally someone's kid...skywalker or palpatine or IG-88 or whatever.

I am OKAY with Rey not being a Skywalker, and I am OKAY with Rey's parents being unremarkable. But leaving her parentage a mystery would be the biggest slap in the face to fans. There needs to be SOME explanation. It doesn't need to be detailed. But leaving everyone hanging would be like leaving whether or not Vader actually was Luke's father unanswered.

• 6 months later...

I win the internet.

Guest El Chalupacabra

All I can say is at least we got an explanation. Wasn't the one I wanted. May be vague. But it looks like it is solid enough to go forward with Episode 9, and not dwell on it any longer.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The more I think about it, the more I like it too.

Parallels Anakin pretty well, actually. And in an odd way, sort of retcons Anakin. Maybe like Rey, Anakin came from no where too, just as Shmi said, and isn't some product of dark Sith Alchemy from Darth Plagueis.

If Rey is the pure light that meets Kylo's pure dark, and if there were enough corruption within the jedi and the rise of the Emperor, maybe that means that (or retcons?) Anakin was both the light to meet the darkness (when he was youn and good, and when he kills Palpatine in ROTJ), AND the Darkness that meets the jedi (wipes them out, lives as Vader for 20 years)?

I actually like that explanation better than a vague, half forgotten chosen one prophecy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.