Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

In my opinion, Mark Hamill's acting at the end of TFA was awesome. Just his facial expressions alone conveyed 3 emotions to me. What I saw was confusion, anger, then sadness.

Couldn't agree more. In my opinion, if you're an actor, and you convey one emotion-the proper emotion-at the right time WITH the support of competent dialogue and/or music, you've done your job.

Mark Hamill's range of emotions in that brief moment is chilling. No words. The music helped, but watch it on mute and it still holds up.

I'm really excited to see his performance in TLJ. I've always advocated that his modest career success has not been a good indicator of his talent. I hope this performance solidifies that claim.

In my opinion, Mark Hamill's acting at the end of TFA was awesome. Just his facial expressions alone conveyed 3 emotions to me. What I saw was confusion, anger, then sadness.

Good observation. Probably anger that his friends will not allow him remain in hiding and sadness that the situation is so grave that he's going to be pulled back into another "Force war" with a young woman who might die for her efforts.

• 2 months later...

I'm sure I'm the last person here to see this, but I just saw an interesting part of Star Wars celebration that, in my opinion, rules out potential parents for Rey.

At SW celebration, Josh Gad was on stage with Daisy Ridley, Rian Johnson, and Kathleen Kennedy. Josh was asking Daisy some very bold questions. He asked her if she was a blood relative to Luke, and she cracks a massive smile and gently shakes her head no, Josh then askes if her name is "Rey Skywalker". Her smile shrinks a bit at the redundant question. She is then asked if her name is "Rey Kenobi". The crowd screams and loses their collective minds and she laughs at this. She doesn't directly answer the question, but comments on the reaction the crowd gave.

To me, this unofficially confirms that Rey is not a descendant of Anakin, Luke, or Leia. Nor is she related to Ben Kenobi either because if she was, there was NO WAY Josh would have been allowed to ask that question in the first place.

They've sort of boxed themselves in at this point. If she IS a Skywalker then they have to somehow contrive a way for it to make sense, which is hard given what details we know. If she ISN'T, you'll have all the Mary Sue crowd freaking out about WHY SHE'S SO SPECIAL OMG.

They've sort of boxed themselves in at this point. If she IS a Skywalker then they have to somehow contrive a way for it to make sense, which is hard given what details we know. If she ISN'T, you'll have all the Mary Sue crowd freaking out about WHY SHE'S SO SPECIAL OMG.

Exactly, the way Lucasfilm has played this she has to be related to somebody of importance at this point. There's no way they have her be the only character without a last name and allow this to play out as its own story. Every character in the saga we'd always learn their name even if it's never on screen. Leia Organa, Emperor Palpatine, Wedge Antilles...their full names were never mentioned in the OT, yet we knew what they were through toys or other media. Making it so ambiguous with Rey now will be a huge letdown if she turns out to be just another character with no ties to anyone from the past.

I disagree. About the let down part. I think it's only important to uber-fans. Personally I wouldn't mind if she had no connection to any past character... At least not in name. If she were Kenobi, that'd be cool and would give reason for an Obi spin off.. But equally it would be just as compelling if she was of no relation to anyone. Or if she does find out who her parents are (for us... She might be well aware already) they can make up a new cool last name for Rey. It's not that big a deal.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't think they will have to do much contriving to make sense for Rey to be a Skywalker. We don't know who left her on Jakku, and why. If she is Luke's daughter, for all we know, it could have been the mother, and Luke thought Rey was dead, along with the mother. A little redundant and convenient, but would parallel Luke's story just like Kylo does for Anakin/Vader.

If Rey is not related to anyone, that works perfectly fine, too. But I really do want a Skywalker connection. It would be kind of sad if Kylo, an irredeemable villain, is the last Skywalker, without a good Skywalker to balance things out.

I think I will be okay whatever the explanation is, except I just don't want to see some long-lost granddaughter of Obi Wan (now THAT would be contrived!), or some midichlorian explanation. I doubt we will find out in Episode 8 one way or the other. I think we will get an answer in Episode 9.

The saga films are about the Skywalker family, so one of two things will have to happen for the saga films to continue past Episode IX

1. Kylo survives to father children

2. Rey is a Skywalker and goes on to have children

It could be Disney's intention to end the saga films at IX but I highly doubt it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.