Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

I still like the idea of Rei coming from a Dark Side heritage, but ah well.

As an inverse to Kylo Ben?

I don't know what is going on, but I'm agreeing with you left and right. I need to go to the lyceum and see you say something \absurd about democrats so I can feel like the world isn't ending.

I'm not betting on it, but there's still a chance she could be a Skywalker. Kylo may have been lying. She may have been adopted.

I thought this way after my first viewing. When I saw it again, I realized Rey confirms herself that she had been repressing the memories. She admitted her parents were trash and she'd always deep down known that. It's not the answer I wanted but it's the answer we have.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I agree. The big question was is Rey a Skywalker or not. We have the answer. Vague, but it is what we have. It doesn't need to go beyond that, really. Her parents are a non-issue, and Maz pointed out in TFA, it's not where you are from, but where you go. Her destiny is to (hopefully) bring the Jedi back, and learn from Yoda's and Luke's mistakes. Basically, Rey has an even greater destiny than Luke and Yoda.

As an inverse to Kylo Ben?

Correct.

It also brought up notions of redeeming a lineage and how far we can escape our parents' shadow. That's essential Star Wars stuff dating back to Owen and Beru discussing how much Luke is like his father.

Incidentally, I've long thought that you could look at Rey and Ben as reflections of the Prequels Anakin at different stages in his life. Rey the boy found in TPM and Kylo Ren representing the young man of AotC and RotS. Though I doubt that was intentional as Abrams only paid lip service to the Prequels. Still, it's an interesting way to look at them.

The books say blah blah ages ages, I know... but in my head Rey is Kylos daughter. Other than a familial link like that, being No One is a good choice for the sake of simplicity.

Being no one is a great choice not just for the story but for what the story says. You don't have to be a relative of the Messiah to make a difference. You don't have to be "from nothing" but secretly really super special. You can be the kid of a couple drunkards and still save the Galaxy. It's the single best decision made in this trilogy so far.

It completely makes the Force not about science and midichlorians and genetics and makes it magical and spiritual again. It was 100% the right and correct decision.

Also Kylo is not lying, he didn't even tell Rey that her parents were no one. He says to her that she's always known but wouldn't admit it to herself. Then before Kylo even tells her Rey says "they were nobody".

The books say blah blah ages ages, I know... but in my head Rey is Kylos daughter. Other than a familial link like that, being No One is a good choice for the sake of simplicity.

What books-- you can look at them as people and see they are near the same age. THIS IS CRAZY PERSON TALK.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.