Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

Just saw a theory that she's descended from Palpy. Hmmmm. I could dig that.

NO.

Ugh.

After watching the TFA Blu Ray, I'm more convinced she's his daughter. The way they look at each other.

With the eyes in their face? How else are they supposed to look at each other?

You seriously don't grasp that she meant the expressions on their faces AS they looked at each other? LMFAO

Are you seriously saying that there's only ONE way to interpret the expressions on Luke and Rey's faces at the end of the film?

To me Luke looks confused - "Who the **** are you?" And Rey is all like "Why the **** won't you take this ****ing lightsaber off my hands?" Is my interpretation less legitimate?

The DNA of her character, everything that happens... There's so much evidence that says she is, it's hard to deny.

I think in Arndts draft she was 100% Luke's daughter, or possibly just Jaina. The Kasdan/Abrams draft changed her roots but left a lot of things intact.

It's Abrams 101 to leave things unanswered so he had no problem with it.

There's no doubt in my mind Rey was written, and possibly directed with her being a Skywalker in mind.

Look at Maz's line and think about it.

"That saber belonged to Luke, and his father before him, now it calls to you... TOTALLY RANDOM PERSON WITH NO RELATION."

That would make no sense.

All that said, I don't hate the Kenobi possibility. I also have to admit that since it wasn't confirmed in TFA, there's a chance they could change their mind for Episode 8 and make her somebody else-- but the intention in TFA? Skywalker for sure.

I also lean toward granddaughter more than daughter-- though the math of it would mean Luke had some action in the OT we didn't know about.

I don't know if the math makes sense for granddaughter. Luke is around 53 in TFA, so Rey would have been born when he was around 34. Considering he's probably going around rebuilding the Jedi Order immediately after Endor, it makes sense for him to wait a bit before having a kid. (Also, you know, he has to meet the mom.) For her to be his granddaughter, she'd have to have been born when he was still on Tatooine, and his kid would have to have a kid really young, too.

Tank, one thing I'm wondering is if Rian Johnson asked Abrams to leave Rey's parentage open-ended because he wanted to address it in Episode VIII. We know Abrams changed some stuff to set up Rian's story. That could either mean he wanted to do the reveal himself, or didn't want her to be related. I guess we will see.

The Maz about the lightsaber line is the one that will be completely confusing if they're not related. And I'll reiterate that KYLO REN being the sole Skywalker descendant is really crappy.

I actually agree with you on that. I don't particularly subscribe to Mara's interpretation. But don't sit there and act like you weren't intentionally being a smartass. You knew she meant their expressions.

Actually I was channeling one of the recent SNL skits with Peter Dinklage. Sorry you didn't get the obscure reference.

Holy shit Icy. LOL

I actually agree with you on that. I don't particularly subscribe to Mara's interpretation. But don't sit there and act like you weren't intentionally being a smartass. You knew she meant their expressions.

Actually I was channeling one of the recent SNL skits with Peter Dinklage. Sorry you didn't get the obscure reference.

Fair enough. I haven't watched that show in a decade so yeah totally over my head.

Rey's parentage has to be addressed in E8 one way or another. Question is will they stick to the plan or change their minds? It's not like the Skywalker family tree was planned out in ANH.

True it wasn't mapped out in ANH because ... George Lucas. I think they'be learned from those mistakes so I expect them to not change their minds.

Lol. Yes. Obviously. Here you go:

"Huh.. who are you and how the hell did you get here?"

"Hmmm... I wonder if I left the oven on before I came up here, coulda sworn I turned it off though."

There's no doubt in my mind Rey was written, and possibly directed with her being a Skywalker in mind.

Or written and directed with the intent of making us think she's a Skywalker. Both would look pretty much the same.

Anyway, as a proponent of the Palpatine (or Dooku) theory, welcome to the club Shadow Dog.

And I'll reiterate that KYLO REN being the sole Skywalker descendant is really crappy.

I tend to think that Kylo Ren's journey will be redemptive in the end, so it doesn't bother me much.

After seeing him skewer Han, I'm going to have a really hard time buying a redemption arc. Driver could pull it off, but I'm hoping they go the other way.

My opinion's based on how hard they pushed to make him look like a pansy and how difficult it would be to pull off of pure evil arc.

Plus redemption is a general theme for Star Wars. If we could be asked to buy Darth Vader redeeming himself in Return of the Jedi after all that he'd done, surely Kylo Ren, who's conflict and "good in him" is a heck of a lot more front and center, is within the realm of suspension of disbelief.

I don't think they made him look like a "pansy" at all. The guys is completely unhinged and terrifying.

Basically, I hate the idea of Kylo being the last Skywalker because he's either going to die evil or die good. Either way, he's going to die, and the Skywalker line dies with him (which sucks for the eventual, inevitable Episode X).

Basically, I hate the idea of Kylo being the last Skywalker because he's either going to die evil or die good

That's an assumption I'm not willing to make.

I don't think they made him look like a "pansy" at all. The guys is completely unhinged and terrifying.

Yeah, no. He kept getting less scary as the movie went along. I'm pretty sure it was intentional. Even his costume seemed less menacing and ill-fitting by the end.

I'd say petulant more than pansy. The more control he lost the more immature he became.

The Anakin we should have had...

Anyway-- tricking us into thinking she is a Skywalker would be pointless. That would imply the truth is somehow bigger.

Because Star Wars had one of the biggest twists in movie history people seem to expect massive conspiracies when mostly, Star Wars is very simple and straight forward.

Plus redemption is a general theme for Star Wars. If we could be asked to buy Darth Vader redeeming himself in Return of the Jedi after all that he'd done, surely Kylo Ren, who's conflict and "good in him" is a heck of a lot more front and center, is within the realm of suspension of disbelief.

Yeah, that's why I'm not a fan of the idea he won't be redeemed in the trilogy. If he doesn't, it undermines Vader's redemption in the originals. He may have killed Han but he still showed hesitation - Vader wouldn't have in a similar situation. Killing Han is the catalyst for the others giving up on him, but he'll find redemption somehow.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.