Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

It's not really hard to understand why the Senate isn't located on Coruscant anymore. Too many bad memories. The New Republic would want to prove they are different than the Empire.

I do agree they could have had a little bit more explanation in the film, but I'd rather take what they give us than the overly explained and way too political prequels.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It's not really hard to understand why the Senate isn't located on Coruscant anymore. Too many bad memories. The New Republic would want to prove they are different than the Empire.

I do agree they could have had a little bit more explanation in the film, but I'd rather take what they give us than the overly explained and way too political prequels.

I didn't say it was hard to understand the Senate was relocated from Coruscant. What I am saying is that since we have seen Coruscant before, and we have not seen the Hosnian system, for the viewer, it would have been more effective to blow up Coruscant. Blowing up a familiar planet has more punch to the gut than a never before seen one.

Especially when visually speaking, the brief cut scene of Hosnian Prime looked exactly like it could have been on Coruscant.

Germany still has Berlin as its capital and you don't get more bad memoryish than that. There are exceptions but historically countries keep their capitals in these situations because they became capitals for a reason. (Geography, trade routes, size, etc)

This is a very very minor point but if it was me I'd have just kept it in Courescant.

"I have traveled too far and seen too much to ignore the despair in the galaxy. Without the Jedi, there can be no balance to the Force." Lor San Tekka to Commander Poe Dameron

Driver's wishes to ignore everything PT aside, was this a throwaway line, or does it mean something to the plot? Could Rey be the true Chosen One this explaining why her powers grow so fast with little training?

Guest El Chalupacabra

The story is about Rey discovering she is strong in the Force, accepting it and then embracing it. Where the capitol of the Republic is currently located doesn't matter at all.

Oh, yeah. That's right. All the other planets in the film might as well be named Planet X, because their names don't matter either.

In fact, all the other plot details are just in there but don't mean anything, either. Like the identity of Kylo Ren is meaningless, and so is Rey's for that matter. The fate of Han Solo? Doesn't matter. Who is Snoke? It doesn't mean a thing. Finn being the first storm trooper in a Star Wars film to defect? Inconsequential. Your right. The ONLY thing that matters is that Rey discovered she is strong in the force. I guess we don't need any more sequels, and we don't need to discuss anything other than the fact Rey just discovered she is strong in the force.

I'm going to just assume that since nothing on screen says otherwise, Courescant is in the Hosian system.

Coruscant is a planet in its own system. Sorry. Those visual books actually make for good reading.

You missed his key words there. ON SCREEN.

ON SCREEN or it didn't happen

The story is about Rey discovering she is strong in the Force, accepting it and then embracing it. Where the capitol of the Republic is currently located doesn't matter at all.

Oh, yeah. That's right. All the other planets in the film might as well be named Planet X, because their names don't matter either.

In fact, all the other plot details are just in there but don't mean anything, either. Like the identity of Kylo Ren is meaningless, and so is Rey's for that matter. The fate of Han Solo? Doesn't matter. Who is Snoke? It doesn't mean a thing. Finn being the first storm trooper in a Star Wars film to defect? Inconsequential. Your right. The ONLY thing that matters is that Rey discovered she is strong in the force. I guess we don't need any more sequels, and we don't need to discuss anything other than the fact Rey just discovered she is strong in the force.

Yes, that is clearly what I meant. The name of the Republic capital doesn't matter. Not even a little bit. All of the stuff you mentioned plays into Rey's story, or will. The location of the capital doesn't.

And yes, the planet names don't matter at all. None of them. They never have. Tattooine isn't even named in Star Wars.

I don't think she's Luke's kid (although, super-obviously, yes, there's no way that can be ruled out). I think Luke is kind of her Obi-Wan rather than her literal actual father.

The three v. important clues (which, again super-obviously, don't automatically and authoritatively point in the direction I see them going but do seem to suggest something to me other than the standard assumption of her being Rey Skywalker-Captison-vonCallista-Fitzjade) :

1) Luke went off to find the very first Jedi temple and I assume that's where he is when she finds him

2) Kyle Lauren reads her mind and talks about the whole island in the ocean dream she would comfort herself with

and smoosh those together and we get

3) She finds Luke at the first Jedi temple, a place she remembers (or somehow foresees herself as destined to go to there)

So I think that's where she's from, or her parents were from, or was born, or was her Dagobah (a place that felt familiar to Luke) or what have you. She's a little kid among the rest of the little kids Luke is trying to train, possibly the most powerful or special or destined or vergent or what you like (because of the connection to the capital F First jedi temple ever!!!), and then things go bad in a big way when Luke can't even keep his own nephew from the dark side even after everything he's learned so far. So he is responsible for stashing her on Jakku out of the need to protect her from the dark side of the force (and possibly out of some sort of semi-despair at his own failures, a mistaken belief that the galaxy would have been better off if he had merely stayed and tended a farm and/or been like Yoda and stood apart from the great wars or something like that) and the hope that she can at least have some semblance of an ordinary life instead of the awful Vader cosplay he maybe now fears any and all of his apprentices may be destined for. He runs off seeking answers about who she is and how she came to be, can't really find them, v. sad.

But then DESTINY intervenes, the events of the movie happen, and she comes back with that piece of his past. Which, in a way, makes her his Obi-Wan too --- giving him his father's lightsaber and restoring meaning to his solitary existence (although, super-obviously, she's got to be keeping the lightsaber more or less for the rest of the movies, enough of this switching off between her and Finn, everybody should just get their own weapons, I don't really like Han shooting Chewie's bowcaster either, please, pretty please, stop putting salt in my peppershakers JJAbrams).

In terms of the memory problem, I don't know, maybe she had been abandoned as a foundling on the doorstep of some other place and was shuttled from orphanage to orphanage until the very day she arrives at her new awesome Jedi school home is also the worst day of Luke's, Han's, Leia's life. Whooo can say? The MYSTERY ooh

Memory is a funny thing. It's easily created; so easily created that we can convince ourselves that we have memories that we really don't.

Rey needn't have had her memories wiped. Perhaps she remembers exactly what happened and is exactly what we saw. How terrible would that be?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.