Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

Well said, Mark Waid:

"I would trade all the jaded forty-somethings in the WORLD for all the adolescent girls who get to meet Rey."

Reviewing all my family's xmas photos, so many of my little cousins got Rey costumes/toys and are thrilled that it kinda makes me not care about us fans complaining.

Sure-- but this seems a lot different. They know Rey is pretty kickass and it's super fun to see them so amped about. They've all liked Star Wars, but Rey is a lot more funm of a girl to have hero worship for than Leia or Padme. The fact little girls have Rey makes all the complaining old fanmen worth it.

It's not an either/or thing, no matter how hard you want to make it a simplistic culture war battle.

I have a daughter and love the fact that Rey is a real character and the hero of the new trilogy. I'm psyched for her to grow up with Rey, but I also want answers. Yet you immediately write everyone off who says anything, exactly like EU and prequel fans, Driver.

I'm saying I think I think the dissension she causes is worth it to have her as a fun female action role model.

I've said from the start that I fully understand why people may not like TFA or take issue with it, or Rey.

If I argue my perspective hotly, I don't think that's any different from anyone voicing their opinion anywhere else here on any other topic. There was that one time Tami changed her mind that one time in the Lyceum-- but since when is anyone here really doing anything but voicing their opinion?

And hey-- I promise-- if Rey goes 2 more movies and we don't get a little explanation of why she's so good, I might not like it either. A lot of my PT arguments are cumulative to them being final work.

And hey-- I promise-- if Rey goes 2 more movies and we don't get a little explanation of why she's so good, I might not like it either. A lot of my PT arguments are cumulative to them being final work.

In that case, I take back my comment. What I was getting from your posts was "it's cool because I have theories!" Which is why I placed you in that camp.

What I took from that, other than people wanted to hear the word cousin, was that a video game did a better job of explaining that Starkiller base destroyed the Republic capital. I've seen the movie twice and never got that. When I see it this the next time I'll pay more attention to Hux's speech to see if i just tuned it out.

I get really annoyed at the "it's too predictable" argument. This is Star Wars, not high art. The hero's journey supposed to be predictable. Also, just because a plot point is predictable doesn't mean it can't be executed well (see: Han Solo's death).

I don't know if it predictable as much as the scene telegraphed it. It's like a horror movie where the audience starts yelling, "don't go in there"!

My issue with the scene seems to be what people are taking from it versus what I got from it. I didn't see Kylo Ren as conflicted at that point. Not only did he kill his father in cold blood, there was no remorse what so ever in him. For whatever reason, he had daddy issues and took care of them the only way he knew how. I'm sure if he comes face to face with Leia there will be conflict. Even the biggest psychos are mamas boys. Not Norman Bates of course.

I think it was predictable to Han too, unlIke in horror movies.

I don't think enough weight was given to the first time Han saw Ben. His voice is full of regret to Leia, as if he felt like he should have shouted out to Ben at that point.

I think Han had reached the point that he'd rather die than not at least try to reach Ben.

I feel like he did specifically mention the Republic capital.

There were two things in separate scenes you had to piece together: one scene where they growl something I'm horridly paraphrasing as, "We shall strike at the center of the Republic's government itself!" and one scene many minutes later in which five totally nameless and utterly meaningless planets, moons, or space stations -- at least one of which had nicely dressed people on it -- were blown to smithereens by five-way super death ray. The movie left us to connect those two bits on our own.

I'm sure all of this was addressed in the novelization with proper nouns and some historical and sociopolitical context about each celestial body. But for those of us with no plans to read the book, all we're left with is the Indomitus Rex of Death Stars making with arbitrary explodo. Not my favorite part of the movie.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think Han had reached the point that he'd rather die than not at least try to reach Ben.

Kinda got the sense that Han knew he was taking a one way walk.

See I had a moment during that scene where I thought they might actually redeem Kylo. And then the sun went out and Kylo skewered Han. I definitely saw conflict there. It was one of the reasons I liked him so much.

It seemed to me that Han was trying to bring his son back, because of all the years he basically ran away from the problem. I think rationally, Han knew Kylo was a lost cause, but he still had to try because both Kylo was his son, and Leia had asked Han to try, even if it cost him his life.

But I knew there was no way Han was going to redeem Kylo. Partly because of the rumors, sure, but also the fact that when I saw the bridge, I knew where it was headed. The shock wasn't really that Han died, it was that they actually had his body fall down the chasm. That was pretty ballsy. I was fooled because I thought that the preview scene of Rey crying over someone was Han, and I also them to at least bring Han's body back for a funeral.

Normally, I'm all for ignoring the PT-- but that is one place where using Coruscant would have had a little bit of helpful continuity.

I agree. It should have been Coruscant, instead of a new planet we never heard of before. It would have had more impact, I think. But Like I said in another thread, my theory is JJ may not have done that because it could have been interpreted as an intentional DIS on the PT. No matter what one thinks of the PT, as a business decision, I can understand JJ not wanting to risk that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.