Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

I don't think any of these things require as much explanation as you people think. In ANH Ben pretty much gave Luke his origin story and the plot of the entire PT in one scene.

Rey: What happened to my parents?

Luke: They were Jedi. Here-- with me. When Ben.... you were in danger. I had no choice but to send you into hiding.

or

Luke: Rey.. I am your father.

Rey: But.. but why did you send me away?

Luke: Kylo Ren-- I foresaw him tearing it all down. I couldn't risk that these events might unfold, so I sent you somewhere to be safe. But I lost track of you. I sensed you were alive, somewhere. But I didn't know where. I'm sorry.

and

Luke: How did you find this?

Maz: An old friend-- worked sanitation in the lowest levels of Cloud City. He knew what it was and that I collected such things. Once word got out about who was there and who was fighting-- I put it together. I know my history, because I lived it.

That's really my point, obviously there HAS to be an explanation as to how Maz got it. It didn't magically show up there. But they don't have to explain it on screen. If the explanation is that simple, then is it really worth spending precious time in the movie explaining it?

I don't think any of these things require as much explanation as you people think. In ANH Ben pretty much gave Luke his origin story and the plot of the entire PT in one scene.

Luke: They were Jedi. Here-- with me. When Ben.... you were in danger. I had no choice but to send you into hiding.

or

Luke: Kylo Ren-- I foresaw him tearing it all down. I couldn't risk that these events might unfold, so I sent you somewhere to be safe. But I lost track of you. I sensed you were alive, somewhere. But I didn't know where. I'm sorry.

and

Maz: An old friend-- worked sanitation in the lowest levels of Cloud City. He knew what it was and that I collected such things. Once word got out about who was there and who was fighting-- I put it together. I know my history, because I lived it.

That would all work. But there does need to be some sort of explanation. It's not like midicholorians. The Force was a part of the magic of fantasy, whereas this lightsaber and Rey's backstory are mysteries that play a part in the overall story. A small part probably, but a part nonetheless.

Insignificant parts of the story, there is a finite amount of time to tell the story. Any time spent explaining this little things takes time away from more important things. If the explanation for the saber ending up there is really good and plays a part in the overall story, then fine. But if its just "it bounced around for a while and I bought it". Then they can just skip it.

or

and

That would all work. But there does need to be some sort of explanation. It's not like midicholorians. The Force was a part of the magic of fantasy, whereas this lightsaber and Rey's backstory are mysteries that play a part in the overall story. A small part probably, but a part nonetheless.

Of course-- my point is, that we as fans who over-analyze, and those who read the EU, imagine there needs to be a grand explanation of things that could take miles to explain, when really, a few lines of dialog in the right hands is all it takes.

Again, look at all the major plot points of the PT-- Obi-Wan gave us all of those in one scene in ANH and one in ROTJ.

I really don't understand why it's so important to know how the lightsaber got there. why is it so difficult to accept that someone found it, sold it on eBay and ended up in a basement full of other junk? Who found it, who bought it, and why is not important. How Kylo got his hands on Vader's helmet is equally unimportant.

The only thing significant about the lightsaber is the fact the Force played matchmaker with Rey and the lightsaber and it's accompanying vision. If it feels coincidental... it's because it is. The movie needed either a blue or green lightsaber and this was the explanation we got. I admitted earlier somewhere on here this whole thing was a weakness, but it is what it is. It's a weak part of the movie, and explaining too much (midichlorianate) only draws more attention to it, and over emphasizes it. the Force Matchmaker Vision thingy was a way to diminish the effects of this plot weakness. Explaining the details of this only paints a bigger bullseye on it's back.

It's great so long as filmmakers don't use it as a crutch to avoid plot points ala Sydo Dyas. And it doesn't work in reverse. Reading the EU does not grant extra special insight to the movies to the point that anyone making a movie expects the audience to have read them.

For the overall story, I'm sure how the lightsaber got there doesn't matter. But for storytelling purposes I think its crap to have it suddenly show up with no explanation. Even if the reason is just "the force willed it," that can be accompolished with one line and could have been said by Maz in that scene. If it was literally any other lightsaber I wouldn't care about a reason. But it being THAT SPECIFIC lightsaber has to mean something other than "wouldn't it be cool if?"

Well, whoever she is, her natural abilities apparently dwarf a Force-trained member of the Skywalker line. Maybe she's Palpatine's granddaughter or something. That would be a reasonably cool and unexpected twist.

She's clearly meant to be seen as the Luke of the story. Plus there's a lot of Jake Lloyd's Anakin in there was well. Kylo Ren is obviously based off of Christensen's Anakin. So the two are already in conflict from the same angles.

However, it's just too obvious and simple. They already played their hidden family member card once with Han and Kylo Ren. Apparently an entire group of Jedi got wiped out before the movies started. The easiest conclusion is that Rey was left behind by one of them before they were murdered.

Do we actually know the timeline for sure? I mean...could Kylo's falling to the dark side be recent-like a few years, and not like ten to fifteen? Are we assuming she was abandoned around the same time Luke's deciple(s) turned? Are we also assuming it was Kylo Ben turned the order against Luke? Is it possible it was someone else, Snoke perhaps?

Rey is supposed to be 19. Pablo Hidalgo (who is on the Story Group) said that Kylo is 29-30, born pretty soon after Endor. Rey is around 5 when she's left on Jakku, and Han calls Luke's apprentice a "boy," so him being 15-16 for that turn would work.

They must have gotten busy while the Ewoks were still yup yupping. That's a very tight timeline.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.