Is Rey the daughter of Luke? (TFA spoilers)

Driver

I was thinking Max Von Sydow. But who knows? Maybe they didn't show that adult holding her hand just in case the story takes a turn during production that makes them change their mind about who it would be.

I can't believe that none of you are speculating about Rey's mom.

- Will we meet the mother? Hear of her? Would Abrams and Disney dare go there..?

:hmm:

We've already got Benecio Del Toro = Thrawn rumors and conjecture. I don't know if they'd go there, or if they'd go...in terms of Rey's mother...there...either.

You know where I'm talking about.

Bottom line is that Rey has a backstory that will be explored, and the simplest way to do it is to just make her a Skywalker. Anything else would take up too much screen time.

I just hope they don't fuck up the mother thing.

I actually think that it becomes far harder to explain if she is Lukes daughter. I mean it would take some explaining as to how Luke would leave her in such a terrible predicament at such a young age.

Simplest is to take it at face value, she is an orphan who is strong in the Force. We don't even need any more explanation because that's what we've been told.

I'm not saying that this will happen, just saying that it's far simpler than anything else.

I actually think that it becomes far harder to explain if she is Lukes daughter. I mean it would take some explaining as to how Luke would leave her in such a terrible predicament at such a young age.

Not really. If he knew the Knights of Ren were about to tear shit up, it's no stretch to believe he'd send her off. It's what parents do.

How'd the lightsaber get there? Seems awfully random to be in a box at a bar on a planet never before mentioned.

This is how we know Maz will show back up at some point. She said it's another story for another time.

You're right, I forgot about that line. Then again Luke might be the one to explain it without necessitating a Maz appearance, but I'm sure Lupita will want back.

Not really. If he knew the Knights of Ren were about to tear **** up, it's no stretch to believe he'd send her off. It's what parents do.

Under the care of some fat alien who underpays her in food for stuff she scavenged?

If she is Luke's daughter I believe that the story will be that Luke believes thats he was killed in the event when Kylo turned on him and she ended up alone and taken to Jakku.

No, it's an alien and is that guy she sold stuff to.

We don't need the story of how the saber got there. It could just easily be "it's been on the black market and she ended up acquiring it." Which is likely the case.

I don't think so either. No need to explain every single little detail. That will start to Midichlorianate the story.

Not really. If he knew the Knights of Ren were about to tear **** up, it's no stretch to believe he'd send her off. It's what parents do.

Under the care of some fat alien who underpays her in food for stuff she scavenged?

If she is Luke's daughter I believe that the story will be that Luke believes thats he was killed in the event when Kylo turned on him and she ended up alone and taken to Jakku.

Under the care of ANYONE who will keep her alive and hidden. This isn't a new idea, in fiction or reality. Harry Potter? Moses? Superman? All those Guatemalan children that flooded the border last year?

Simplest is to take it at face value, she is an orphan who is strong in the Force. We don't even need any more explanation because that's what we've been told.

I'm not saying that this will happen, just saying that it's far simpler than anything else.

Well they have explain her backstory, thats what SW always does, and if she's just a random orphan they'll have to drag in new characters to explain why she was dumped on a desert planet and why she's force sensitive. Doing so will drag the whole thing into PT suckiness. It'll be less awkward to simply make her a Skywalker and deal with the mother thing.

Well if it's not explained I think that's crap. The fact the saber even survived the big of a fall, let alone was recovered, is fairly remarkable. No, not everything needs to be explained, but that's something I think should be.

I agree. Too cool of a story not to touch on, especially when you factor in how useless it would've been at the time. Only after ROTJ would it've Ben a big deal, and even then there would be no way to substantiate that it was the real deal.

Don't be too bummed if Lando's not involved.

Well if it's not explained I think that's crap. The fact the saber even survived the big of a fall, let alone was recovered, is fairly remarkable. No, not everything needs to be explained, but that's something I think should be.

Syfo Dyas recovered it.

SEE WHAT I DID THERE

The person with her on Jakku is Unkar Plott. The same dude she sells stuff too.

On screen or it didn't happen

I feel like it's takes way longer to explain Rey's past if she's not a Skywalker. Why did her parents send her away? Were they Jedi? Did Kylo come after her? Why? Did she previously train with Luke?

If she's Luke's kid, the history writes itself. We already know what happened with Kylo. We can fill in the blanks that something bad happened to Rey at the same time, or there was some kind of threat, and somehow she wound up on Jakku.

Not to mention that Kathleen Kennedy has said numerous times that the saga films are about the Skywalker family.

Driver: it is on screen. You can tell it's the same voice.

I hope there is a flashback scene like on pawn stars where an expert comes in and authenticates it as Anakin and Luke's saber.

Seriously though, I really hope we hear nothing else about it. I don't want to take a chunk out of Episode VIII to explain the journey of an inanimate object.

I'm sure it went like this during the writing process: We need them to come across a saber, so Rey can use it later to fight Ren. Maybe there can be one in the basement of Maz's castle? Hell, may as well just make it Luke's old saber, that would be cool. It was probably that simple in terms of how it came about and I bet JJ and Kasdan gave it little or no thought beyond that.

Stuff like that is for the books and other media.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.