Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Now that you've seen TFA, rank the Star Wars Films! (AGAIN!)

Rank the Films!

157 replies to this topic

NumberSix

NumberSix

Content Provider Emeritus

• 29,752 posts

ESB

ANH

TFA

ROTJ

TPM

AOTC
Holiday Special

ROTS

• Brett +1 this

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,795 posts

Destiny Skywalker

Destiny Skywalker

Actually, I am a rocket scientist

• 20,663 posts
I own the PT but I don't think I've ever actually watched them since I bought the set. Sigh.

1. ANH
1.5 ESB
3.5 ROTJ
4. TFA
7. I can't even decide, they're all so bad. Hayden is prettiest in AOTC, maybe that one. But reserving spaces 5 and 6 for Episodes 8 and 9 because anything has to be better than the PT.

I will say that I have very high expectations for 8 and 9 and will probably be disappointed if I don't like them better than TFA.

Darth Krawlie

Darth Krawlie

privileged ****lord

• Moderators
  • 34,521 posts
1. ROTJ. I know it's not the best, but it's the one that hooked me as a kid and I still love it for all the same reasons. It's best moments are as good as any movie ever to me.
2-3. ESB and ANH. Depends on the day. ESB is objectively the bet Star Wars movie, but I'm ranking this on favoritism, not on quality. ANH can have the stench of 70s filmmaking on it, and that can make it amazing or eye rolling depending on the day. ESB has the sequel factor, non-ending, and perpetual worship going against it. They're both incredible.
4. TFA. Recognizing the fact that it might be impossible for me to rank any of the ST above the OT. Plus I've seen it once vs countless times for each OT film.
5. ROTS. Because I guess so.
6. TPM. It really does fee the most Star Wars out of the prequels. Jar jar kills it more for me than jake Lloyd. If they had just traded obi-wan and qui-gin on tatooine...
7. AOTC. Embarrassed by how much I liked this on first viewing. Poor Ewan. He really tried in this one, too.
  • Jacen123 +1 this

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• 19,360 posts

7. AOTC. Embarrassed by how much I liked this on first viewing. Poor Ewan. He really tried in this one, too. 

Same. I first saw it at 12:01AM on Friday in a theater that was PUMPED for it, and it really affected my perception. Saw it a few days later and thought "Wow, this is nowhere near as good as I remember. In fact, it's kind of bad."

A few months later, I saw it at a pub for few dollars. The drunker the audience got, the more they heckled it... was an incredibly fun viewing, but also very telling -- a movie has to be baaaaaad for a paying audience to prefer shouting the movie down to actually watching it.

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,416 posts
Saw TFA again. Dunno what I was smoking when I put it under a prequel... Rate it lower the originals but higher than the prequels.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,027 posts
1 ANH
2 ESB
3 ROTJ
4 TFA
5 Ewok movies
6 Holiday Special
7 TPM
8 ROTS
9 AOTC
  • ShadowDog and Driver +1 this

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
I'd put both seasons of the Ewok cartoon over the PT too. And couple Kenner toy commercials probably had better story and acting than the PT.

Edited by Driver, 20 December 2015 - 12:10 PM.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,027 posts
Pretty much everything but the Droids cartoon wins

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts
Okay wtf. I wrote c a r T o o n, I click edit and it says cartoon-- submit and it changes to that. Somebody messing with the censor?

Edited by Driver, 20 December 2015 - 12:11 PM.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,027 posts
Test: cartoon
Apparently somebody did.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,523 posts
1. ROTJ
2. ESB
3. TPM
4. ANH
5. ROTS
6. TFA
7. AOTC

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
ESB
ROTJ
TFA
ANH
Sith decent
Clone whatever
Phantom Jar Jar

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

3. TPM
4. ANH

:hmm:

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,523 posts
I enjoy watching TPM more than ANH. It's a fun movie to watch. ROTJ is my all time favorite movie. It was the first movie my mother took me to see that wasn't her choice. My 8 year old mind was blown and I have that same sense every time I watch it.
  • Jacen123, Darth Krawlie and Pong Messiah +1 this

Poe Dameron

Poe Dameron

• 2,485 posts

1.  The Empire Strikes Back

2.  A New Hope

3.  Revenge of the Sith

4.  Return of the Jedi

5.  The Phantom Menace

6.  The Force Awakens

7.  Attack of the Clones

The Force Awakens might move up once I've had time to digest, but right now I'm comfortable where it is.

Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace flip places depending on my mood.  Both are flawed, but have a lot going for them that make them enjoyable.

Attack of the Clones has suffered the most over the years.  Mostly on the back of the romance scenes on Naboo not working.  The rest I'm generally okay with.

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
1) TFA
2) ESB
3) ANH
4) AOTC
5) ROTS
6) ROTJ
7) TPM

Zeth Duuron

Zeth Duuron

• Members
  • 1,198 posts

Hooray! Now that we have a new entry into the series, it's time! We need another "Rank the Movies" thread!

1. TFA. By its nature, it can't be as groundbreaking and/or culturally important as ANH, but it's still a ton of fun. Because we don't know a lot of the characters yet, it has less room to toy with our emotions like ESB, but there is still a lot of emotional payoff. And sweet Jesus it looks great!
  2. ESB. Clever and daring narrative decisions for a "kid's film," beautiful and memorable settings, and a superior scope and sense of craftsmanship than the original
  3. ANH. The first and the funnest and the most important. Was considered "non-stop action" when it was released, but the pacing before the heroes get to the Death Star feels slow by today's standards. It only has itself to blame!
  4. (tie) RotJ & TPM. TPM has lightsaber action and Otoh Gunga going for it and not much else; RotJ has the final confrontation between Luke and Vader and Salacious B. Crumb going for it and not much else.
  5. RotS. Terrible. Only reason it beats AotC is because I get the sense GL was at least trying with this one.
  6. AotC. I truly hope George Lucas is ashamed of himself for this one.

Whats yousa thinkin?

SECONDED!!!!!  BTW, this is my first post in almost four years...

• Brando and Pong Messiah +1 this

Pong Messiah

Pong Messiah

don't want to be buried in a pet cemetery

• 19,360 posts
BTW, this is my first post in almost four years...

Haha. Awesome :D

The Jedi with no name

The Jedi with no name

• Members
  • 1,667 posts

Each movie has its ups and downs, but if I had to rank them...

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. TFA

4. ROTJ

5. ROTS

6. AOTC

7. TPM

This is based on only one viewing of TFA, so is therefore subject to change down the road after repeated viewings. ;)

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

I can get having TFA, ROTJ, and ROTS interchangeable in the middle, but if you put  ANH or ESB under a prequel movie... I distrust everything about your life choices.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,869 posts

Okay wtf. I wrote c a r T o o n, I click edit and it says cR2n-- submit and it changes to that. Somebody messing with the censor?

I can fix that!

Cartoon

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

Such a weird random thing to have been changed...

Edited by Driver, 20 December 2015 - 10:03 PM.

Cerina

Cerina

Now and forever...

• Admin
  • 29,869 posts

Well maybe some of us feel as though the spelling out of R2 as A r t o o is worthy of a violent shooting spree but instead felt restrained enough to handle it on the DL... :shrug:

Driver

Driver

Tank

• Supporters
  • 6,591 posts

HA!!!!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rank the Films!