Now that you've seen TFA, rank the Star Wars Films! (AGAIN!)

Pong Messiah

Not a single memorable theme.

Nope. It's actually a very skillful and effective score, and Rey's Theme is guaranteed to grow on you (you're one of the only people here who will recognize and appreciate the Dvorak "New World" nods, too), but that's the best I can say for it. There is nothing here that just reaches out and force-chokes your heart as in the OT or even "Duel of the Fates."

Disagree. I'd say it's effective yes, but there is still lack of that memorable theme. Rey's Theme may echo Dvorak's New World (and is unquestionably, the best theme of the new movie), and I like it, but come on man, it doesn't have the real power of Dvorak's New World, Movement IV (one of the best classical motifs of the past 100 years), and you know that. The score was far better in the OT (take, e.g., the Rebel Fleet/Han and Leia's Theme from ESB, the best theme from all of Star Wars), or even any of the the duel themes from the PT, or even say, Across the Stars from Ep II.

Oh man, score discussions again! Rey's theme is definitely the most memorable of the bunch and is pretty nice, even though it isn't really my preference (given that I grew up playing the trumpet). I enjoy the Resistance march, too, though it is nowhere near as catchy and straightforward as the more iconic SW themes. I think the most disappointing aspect to me is that we didn't get a great First Order theme to go along with Imperial March or the battle droid invasion. I haven't been able to sit through the entire soundtrack yet because many of the tracks just lose my interest and I find myself skipping to the few that grab me. :shrug:

I haven't gotten a chance to see the movie for a second time yet due to traveling and weather problems, but I hope the in-movie score grows on me.

Yeah, I hate to harp on it, because as I said elsewhere, this would be a good score in any other movie.

I think of it like this:

82 GP, .445 FG%, .821 FT%, 6.1 RPG, 3.8 APG, 1.5 SPG, .5 BPG, 20.0 PPG

Out of context, I look at those numbers and think "The FG% could be a tad higher, but that's an excellent, balanced season of basketball!"

Then somebody says they are the numbers from Michael Jordan's second and final season with Washington Wizards, and we get context, and I'm like "Wow, that sucks," even though it's actually pretty darn good.

The TFA score is basically John Williams' second comeback with the Wizards.

here's something that bugged me that no one has mentioned.

The Skywalker saber looks like it did during ANH.

The changes to the design between ROTS and ANH we could say Ben was doing maintenance. Between ANH and ESB, obviously Luke was tinkering with it. But I'm supposed to buy that somebody found it and restored it to it's Ben configuration.

I mean come on.

I'm just sayin...

I got this bad boy at a photo swap meet for $20 in 1994 when I was one of three Star Wars fans who knew what to look for.

These go for $600-1000 on eBay these days, though I'm not sure why since now there are master replicas of them readily available.

But in 1994-- this thing was like finding GOLD.

post-43313-0-55294700-1451866098_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I hate to harp on it, because as I said elsewhere, in any other movie, this would be a good score.

I think of it like this:

82 GP, .445 FG%, .821 FT%, 6.1 RPG, 3.8 APG, 1.5 SPG, .5 BPG, 20.0 PPG

Out of context, I look at those numbers and think "The FG% could be a tad higher, but that's an excellent, balanced season of basketball!"

Then somebody says they are the numbers from Michael Jordan's second and final season with Washington Wizards, and we get context, and I'm like "Wow, that sucks," even though it's actually pretty darn good.

The TFA score is basically John Williams' second comeback with the Wizards.

Nice analogy. It is weird though. You listen to the score and it's very solid. Watch the movie and it disappears. I'm guessing they didn't ask much of John Williams. AOTC and ROTS had scenes where the music carried them. "Anakin's Betrayal" and Order 66 is a perfect example.

The changes to the design between ROTS and ANH we could say Ben was doing maintenance. Between ANH and ESB, obviously Luke was tinkering with it. But I'm supposed to buy that somebody found it and restored it to it's Ben configuration.

I mean come on.

Be honest you didn't catch that watching the movie.

I mean come on.

I'm being flippant, and I don't really care that much, it didn't effect my enjoyment of the film.

But I noticed it from the first shot of the saber in the trailer. I am a total lightsaber nerd. In fact, the most egregious offense in the SE for me is the fact that the individual saber ignition sounds and blade colors got all messed up.

I mean come on.

I'm being flippant, and I don't really care that much, it didn't effect my enjoyment of the film.

But I noticed it from the first shot of the saber in the trailer. I am a total lightsaber nerd. In fact, the most egregious offense in the SE for me is the fact that the individual saber ignition sounds and blade colors got all messed up.

Okay then. What are your thoughts that Obi Wan's lightsaber was weathered in ANH, yet Anakin's saber is still in pristine condition after all these years?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yo dude, so it's been a few weeks: you still put Ep 7 at your #1 slot?

Yeah. I've seen it a few times, and it actually gets even better (it's somehow both faster-paced and a lot more nuanced than it initially seems -- how they do that?). Love it!

I totally acknowledge that the first two films were far more culturally important and technically groundbreaking than TFA, and would never question the taste or intelligence of somebody who places the OT above TFA on their list (the Prequels are another story, of course). But I'm not a hugely nostalgic person; as somebody who simply loves film, television, theater, spectacle, etc... this is my favorite: best looking, I really like the new characters, etc. The only area I think TFA can't compete with the OT is in the score.

I just saw it for the second time today, after giving it several weeks to settle. You are right. I actually expected it to not be as good second time around, like so many other JJ stuff seems to be. Not a slight on the guy, just seems like his stuff doesn't have a lot of re-watch-ability. I But I was very pleasantly surprised to find I enjoyed it the second time around. And you know what, THAT is one of the most important things for me with Star Wars, which definitely puts this over the top as a solid #3 of all Star Wars films, following TESB and ANH.

Ah good point- that was something I forgot in my review (in the other thread)...

one of the biggest things I felt was missing from this episode was the score! Not a single memorable theme.. wtf?

While I am with you guys on the score not being as memorable as say TESB, ANH, or TPM, I have to disagree with you all on it being totally unmemorable. I think the sound track really just fits the style of the film itself, because it is such a fast paste movie, it really doesn't lend itself to the character themes like past movies did. Everyone is on the go, all the time.

Here is a sample of the sound track:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens/dp/B014V6JIQK

I really like The Scavenger. Very soft and mellow. Somewhat of a recall of the Princess Leia theme, with a bit of maybe the Yoda theme in tone, but a sound all its own

The one that stood out to me the most was The Starkiller. It had a quality that reminded me of Adagio for Strings. If there is a stand out track for TFA, I would have to say it is that one.

The track Snoke is pretty creepy, and really reminds me of the Emperor's throne room from ROTJ, or the Palpatine's Teachings track from ROTS (the music show scene with Palpatine and Anakin), like it is supposed to I suppose.

I also really liked the final track The Jedi Steps and Finale, and a very close second to The Starkiller. I mean if that one doesn't move you, I just don't know what to tell ya!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.