Now that you've seen TFA, rank the Star Wars Films! (AGAIN!)

Pong Messiah

Hooray! Now that we have a new entry into the series, it's time! We need another "Rank the Movies" thread!

1. TFA. By its nature, it can't be as groundbreaking and/or culturally important as ANH, but it's still a ton of fun. Because we don't know a lot of the characters yet, it has less room to toy with our emotions like ESB, but there is still a lot of emotional payoff. And sweet Jesus it looks great!
  2. ESB. Clever and daring narrative decisions for a "kid's film," beautiful and memorable settings, and a superior scope and sense of craftsmanship than the original
  3. ANH. The first and the funnest and the most important. Was considered "non-stop action" when it was released, but the pacing before the heroes get to the Death Star feels slow by today's standards. It only has itself to blame!
  4. (tie) RotJ & TPM. TPM has lightsaber action and Otoh Gunga going for it and not much else; RotJ has the final confrontation between Luke and Vader and Salacious B. Crumb going for it and not much else.
  5. RotS. Terrible. Only reason it beats AotC is because I get the sense GL was at least trying with this one.
  6. AotC. I truly hope George Lucas is ashamed of himself for this one.

Whats yousa thinkin?

I've only seen TFA the once so it's really hard to make a judgement. I know I'm more likely to be critical of it down the line:

1. ESB - Goes without sayin'

2. ROTJ - Nostalgia. I don't think it's one of the best but I watched it the most when I was a kid

3. ANH - Kicked it all off

4. ROTS - Some parts were truly awful but some scenes in it I love

5. TFA - Probably will bump it over ROTS after the second viewing, but don't know if I love yet cause of hype or if its that good.

6. TPM - Best looking prequel cause its still shot on film, podrace is still fun, I can ignore Jar Jar but it's still dull

7. AOTC - UUUUUuuuuuuuugh.

Pong-- I'd be really curious if you stick to this a year from now after the excitement and lustre wears off.

For me, I assumed it would be better than the prequels, but not as good as the OT. I think that nostalgia removed, Jedi is a lot more flawed and weaker than most are willing to admit. That versus the technical execution of TFA makes for a surprising upset I think.

So:

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. TFA

4. ROTJ

5. ROTS

6. TPM

7. AOTC

Pong-- I'd be really curious if you stick to this a year from now after the excitement and lustre wears off.

Would be extremely surprised if it changes. On a pure "film lover" level, it's been a long time since the originals did a ton for me outside off nostalgic/cultural value and their gorgeous designs and settings. I don't see those feelings changing in the next 365 days. And in 365 days, the prequels will still be the prequels.

Not saying TFA is an omg all-time great film or anywhere near as important as the OT. It's just that film and television today generally looks, sounds, and talks better than the film and television of 30-40 years ago, and Star Wars is no exception.

For me, I assumed it would be better than the prequels, but not as good as the OT. I think that nostalgia removed, Jedi is a lot more flawed and weaker than most are willing to admit. That versus the technical execution of TFA makes for a surprising upset I think.

So:

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. TFA

4. ROTJ

5. ROTS

6. TPM

7. AOTC

This is what my ranking looks like right now, too. IT really is hard to place it too comfortably after seeing it just for the first time. I could see it moving around slightly, but ESB and ANH would be really difficult to top for me, if for no reason other than nostalgia. As touched on in the other thread, though, the one thing ROTJ definitely has going for it over TFA is the music. I really like pretty much the entire score for the last third or so of that movie.

I really like pretty much the entire score for the last third or so of that movie.

Yes, it is pretty great -- the themes and cues in the final third of TPM rock too.

So I probably should have said:

(tie) RotJ & TPM. TPM has lightsaber action and Otoh Gunga and an awesome score going for it and not much else; RotJ has the final confrontation between Luke and Vader and Salacious B. Crumb and an awesome score going for it and not much else.

Guest El Chalupacabra

So:

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. TFA

4. ROTJ

5. ROTS

6. TPM

7. AOTC

Yeah, I am starting to lean in that direction, now, too. Previously, I ranked TFA and ROTJ as a tie, but you are right. ROTJ is flawed, particularly where the ewoks are concerned. Watching as an adult, I pretty much skip over any ewok scenes.

Even Nostalgia removed I can't rank TFA above TESB or ANH, though, but it is right up there. The more I process TFA, the more I am liking it.

So:

1. ESB

2. ANH

3. TFA

4. ROTJ

5. ROTS

6. TPM

7. AOTC

Poppycock!! ROTJ owns you Driver!!

TESB-The best sequel ever.

ANH- sometimes I rank this one higher than TESB, depending on my mood. Not today. It's the only unspecial edition movie I have. :(

TFA-I just saw it, so I reserve the right to allow ROTJ to leapfrog it later.

ROTJ-not as well crafted as it's predecessors, but great in it's own right. Ewoks...I can get over. We get to see Luke in his prime, and a happy ending to the trilogy.

ROTS-wasted potential. Enjoyable movie, but for every good thing it does, it takes a crap somewhere else.

TPM-boring and nothing made sense. Farts and poopie. Lightsaber duel was good but too polished.

AOTC-boring, nothing made sense, and PAINFUL to watch. Lightsaber duels were all crap. Acting was crap. Everything...crap.

1-The Empire Strikes Back

2-The Force Awakens

3-Star Wars

4-Revenge of the Sith

5-Attack of the Clones

6-Return of the Jedi

7-The Phantom Menace

I'm hesitant on that 2 and 3. I don't know if my excitement from seeing TFA puts it ahead of ANH or if my nostalgia for ANH makes me hesitant to place TFA ahead of it.

Well, I mean maybe I am grading on a curve in that until recently ROTJ was the climax of the story and it always drove me nuts that the climax was one of the lesser parts of it. It's not really the Ewoks, that kinda stuff doesn't bother me really.

First it suffers from something alot of third movies suffer from that come after a cliffhanger. The first 1/3 of the movie feels like we are just wrapping up the 2nd movie rather than starting the story of the third. I'm not the hugest fan of the Jabba portion of the movie, I mean how many audiences with Jabba do we have to see? We have 3PO/R2s, Leias, Lukes. Its like never ending. The actual fight around the sarlaac is fine, but nothing special. Plus I never really thought the characters were in jeopardy. We know they are getting off the planet to go fight the Empire.

Then after that, it just feels like we are waiting around for the Luke-Vader fight. Kinda feels like "we know it's coming, but the movie has to be 2 hours long, so here is some other stuff...". Same kinda things happen in TPM, forget allthe bad acting and Jar Jar and that the biggest issue with the movie is we know they are getting Anakin off Tatooine, so wrap it up quicker. Why have it take an hour? But anyway, I kinda feel Jedi has those same issues.

I could flip those 2 movies, like I said maybe I'm being a harder grader on Jedi because of its place in the saga. Basically if I was going to watch one right now, it would probably be AOTC, but say if I could only pick one to ever watch again, it would be Jedi.

I came within a half second of only saying that I have TFA 2nd between ANH and ESB, just because I so so very much don't want to have any old discussions/arguments about the PT here and now.

hahaha

I wish I could let it go. Even with a new GOOD Star Wars movie-- it just makes me madder at the lost potential of the PT.

NEVAR FORGET

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.