Where will TFA land on Rotten Tomatoes?

Based on current reviews, it's at 97% for top critics. 98% with all critics. Where do you think it's going to end up?

I'm guessing a substantial drop off, just because that number is so high. ANH and ESB currently lead with 94%. I'm guessing that it gets a large bump just for not being the prequels, and it'll beat 79% for ROTS. I'm guessing mid-80s.

So before we get more reviews, before we even see the movie, what's your guess?

Depends on which ranking you look at. They have several different ratings:

Critics

Top Critics

Users

Critics+Users

I always ignore the user related ratings.

Currently a healthy 95%, but you would expect that number to drop as the hype dies down a little.

Agreed. I see the same pre-release mega-"greatest ever!!!" kind of hype going on right now in general conversations that I experienced before TPM's release. To get a real feel / rating of its worth, wait for the reasonable movie goer to just see the film, instead of lead themselves in by the nose with SW ring in place. Or, because of the desire to erase the effect of the PT on the franchise + OT characters coming back, convince themselves that--again--its the "greatest ever!"

Just see the film.

Looks like it's going to stay around 95%. Most of the reviews are already in, it has around 190 counted right now. Most other movies that have been out a number of weeks already have about the same review count or less.

This honestly reminds me much of when Fellowship of the Ring first premiered in 2001. No one really knew what to expect then, we'd heard about production issues and Peter Jackson was very unproven at the time. When the first reviews poured in from major publications, we all thought it was more or less a fluke. But then months wore on, and it was evident it was a big critical hit and even was nominated for Best Picture. This seems very reminiscent.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.