The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

Guest Jedi are losers

The real reason Rey has to be immediately adept as a fighter/force user is that someone has to lightsaber duel Kylo Ren. Finn's battle wasnt enough to base a movie ending action sequence on

Yay my turn

Save Rey's greater feat for episode VIII? How do we know at this point they didn't? We can't say they haven't until we see episode VIII, sorry.

And how did Rey best, as Snoke directly referred to him, a yet-to-be completely trained Kylo Ren? Man, I don't know. Inconceivable that a guy who isn't fully trained just got beaten, after being hit with a bowcaster?

Maybe we'll see Luke training Rey, alongside Snoke training Ben, and then we get round two - and maybe she gets her ass handed to her. Maybe we conclude the next movie much like Empire, with lots of questions as to how the good guys are going to prevail because a lot of bad things may have just happened. Kylo Ren bests Rey. Luke's training to her is upstaged by Snokes training of Kylo Ren.

Then maybe we can bitch about how episode VIII copied episode V, without pointing out the obvious that the middle movie plays this role naturally...IE Anakin losing an arm, Dooku escaping, the clone army being introduced, Palpatine being chancellor, and Jimmy Smits sad face.

That's pretty cool!

I've read a few places that the Finalizer's turbolasers are augmented by kyber crystals, I think quoting from one of the tie-in books. If that's truly the case, with those available, then why can't Ren build a proper lightsaber?

A missed opportunity, or maybe a way to correct with a retcon, Tarsunts should have been Bothans. It would a nod to Zahn's depiction.

It's not the the source, it's that it is stupid.

It's just a laser canon. Not everything needs to be special.

THE FORWARD TURBOLASER ON THE FIRST ORDER STAR DESTROYER IS MADE FROM THE BONES OF ADMIRAL PEITT SO WITH EVERY SHOT TAKEN IS A MINOR REVENGE FOR THE FALLEN IMPERIAL HERO.

Saw it again a couple of days ago. As cool as the Han and son scene was, what really hit me was the Luke scene at the end. In the years that passed after ROTJ, Luke's importance became a joke to me. His performance in ANH was whiny and annoying to me as an adult, the ESB bit with "THATS IMPOSSIBLE" seemed silly, and when I read that Mark Hammill never watched the old films because he was embarrassed by his performance I could totally see why. Even he was tired of the Luke thing.

But here we are now. That shot of him in the robe, with the music, is just awesome. i can't wait to see Luke back in action. Totally reminded me of how great SW can be.

What can I say. i just ****ing love this movie.

And on the EU loss, I made the decision years ago to stop reading EU a couple of chapters into the Dark Nest trilogy. So I've been detached for long enough now that it's not as big a loss. There were some good times though, and I'll always credit the EU for helping me to rediscover books in my teens.

Just came back from second cinema viewing, this time on IMAX. Surprised that I enjoyed the film even more this time around. Picked up on lots more little things, and enjoyed the experience more. ****ing good movie, man. Can't wait for the next one!!

That was a good read

Aww! Thanks!

Also, no way ... No how ... Will it take them another 30 years to do episodes 10-12. Believe that. I figure a 10 year gap at the most.

Whatever number they're up to by then.

the Finalizer

Is that the name of the bad guys' ship? Uch. That's not a very good name for a bad guy ship.

Ok, after a second viewing it looked more noticeable to me that Kylo Ren was toying with Finn. Finn is swinging wildly and Ren is just dodging and parrying rather easily. It reminded me of Vader's brief duel with Kanan in Rebels. Kanan is giving Vader everything he has and Vader blocks and dances around his swipes like he was going in slow motion. When Ren overpowers Finn and burns his shoulder with the exhaust of his saber it was more of a taunt than him actually trying to kill him.

Just saw it again in super ginormous IMAX 3D

I liked Rey and Finn even more on the bigger screen. She's just a great hero in the "You can do it!" kind of way. He's kind of goofy, but the kid has heart.

BB-8 and Chewbacca were also way cooler this time. And man, the audience couldn't get enough of them. Nearly every time BB was on screen, somebody would start giggling, and Chewie elicited a near constant stream of "awwwwws" and chuckles.

Poe suffered a bit. Initially I just thought he had a sleazy face, but after seeing him in 3D, I'm sure he is a serial date rapist and would be surprised if he doesn't at least dabble in the occult. But hey, he's still a great pilot!

Adam Driver was already great as Kylo, so the bigger screen didn't make any difference. Oddly enough, he had a few nice quips that stuck out more this time (were they in 3D?). Also, he obviously worked on creating a "idiosyncratic but not ostentatious gait" that I had missed before.

I liked the sequence on the Nostromo, but thought the rathtars looked sadly generic. I didn't really care for/about the Starkiller attack run, and thought parts of it looked rather generic, too.

I noticed Han and Leia a lot less. Which is fine.

The score is good and effective, but it pales in comparison to Williams' work from ANH-TPM. In any other movie, it'd be like 8/10 work, but for Star Wars, it's supa weak!

The final duel looked even better, and like LDH said, it's really apparent (perhaps overplayed) that Kylo was both simultaneously critically injured and cocky/toying with his opponents. To me, the "Kylo Ren doesn't mop the floor with Janitor Trooper and Scavenger Scum in less than 5 seconds, so this duel sucks!" critiques have never stuck, but taking it all in, it's just so obvious what's going on,I gotta wonder what movie those folks were watching?

Luke looks like he has been drinking a lot over the last 20+ years. I hope he has been drinking a lot!

Oh, and Snoke looked way better, much to my surprise. He's still just this nebulous, generic baddie, maybe 1 level up from Dr. Claw, but that 3D really flattered his bumps and scars.

Anyway, still an awesome movie. Flawed, yes, but they all are: B+ film and A+ experience fo sure.

I didn't really care for/about the Starkiller attack run, and thought parts of it looked rather generic, too.

That's going to annoy me so much when I see it again. I really wish they hadn't tried to cram in a superweapon > destroy superweapon plot in to this and had just focused on trying to rescue Rey & Ben at the end with Poe & co. being involved (if they had to be involved) in a blockade busting or diversion role or something (maybe destroying the Finalizer if you want something big to blow up / crash in a spectacular way).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.