The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

I understand that feeling-- and I totally tried. I had all the RPG books, I read the Han Solo trilogy, and when Zahn's books came out I was SO AMPED for them. But it didn't feel right. It was slow, overly focused on weird details, and he started inventing things that made no sense and felt really un-Star Warsy. A creature that can block the force? That made no sense. Don't even get me started on Luuke. TO this day that makes no sense.

I tried a fair amount of books along the way, some were better than others, but it NEVER felt right to me.

I didn't have the vocabulary for describing this until years later. Star Wars is crazy important to me-- like I said. But it was never because I wanted to live in a Star Wars world and enjoy it for all time. It was because it made me realize I wanted to create worlds and tell stories that had that effect on people. I love movies more than most things. Star Wars to me, is an amazing movie experience more than it is a world to want to live in.

Like I have said-- Star Wars is a MOVIE first and foremost. Movies have a style of narrative that combines brevity, visuals and a fast moving plot. You don't build a book the same way you build a movie.

It took me a long time to realize I didn't like the EU because they were not movies, and could never be written like movies. If it isn't a movie, it's not Star Wars to me. That doesn't make me less than a fan-- it makes me a fan of Star Wars as a story, but also as how it builds a complex world with such simple pieces. Star Wars are the most complex, yet most simple movies out there.

Also, just to be fully honest, what I choose to read in terms of books is way more literary than what a Star Wars book can manage. I find the generally reading level of them to be really boring and simple. That's not meant to be insulting-- the books have to be that way because they can't go high lit when the movies aren't. So my taste in books and movies varies quite a bit.

Does that make more sense?

It does make more sense. Thank you.

I totally get what you mean about Star Wars being conceived as a film franchise, and only that medium being "true" to some people. Makes total sense. However, I've never been much of a film person (which is partly why I such at critiquing them, whereas I can rip apart a book ten ways to Sunday), always preferring the written word in every single instance. I also enjoy the interactive aspect (video games), so naturally these things meshed together to make me an instant EU fan.

And I'm aware that no piece of Star Wars literature will ever be the next War and Peace, but I just generally enjoy writing of all kinds, even with varying levels of quality (unless they're downright terrible, which some of the EU obviously is).

To be honest--and I hate Dark Empire as much as anybody--I've felt for a while now that the story might provide for excellent character exposition if revisited, kind of like what Michael A. Stackpole did with Kevin J. Anderson's atrocious Jedi Academy trilogy in I, Jedi. The right author can take any dung heap and turn it into a pot of gold, and for some reason I think Dark Empire could provide such an opportunity.

Maybe I'll be the one to do it!

Guest El Chalupacabra

Oh, I think it is clear Dark Empire in no way shape or form holds up. My like for it is purely nostalgia at this point.

I'm just saying that when it was first released, other than the Thrawn books, it was pretty much the only new Star Wars out there at the time.

Goes back to everything coming too easy for her. Prime example of this is her out forcing Kylo Ren for the lightsaber.

Actually, I'm okay with that specific moment. I interpreted it as Anakin/Luke's lightsaber choosing her over Kylo Ren. Too bad Kylo Ren didn't know the significance of that. If you think about it, Grandpa Vader's lightsaber belongs to another. As a guy who seems to be basing his entire identity in following in Vader's footsteps, that would be a pretty bitter pill to swallow.
It's a lightsaber. Not the Elder Wand. Like has been said before you're adding sort of personality to an object that has a tendency to get lost or destroyed.
Maz: "That lightsaber was Luke's. And his father's before him. And now it calls to you."I think it's the Force acting through the lightsaber. If Rey was just experiencing its history, the dream sequence would have ended with the Bespin corridor. But she's shown (remembering?) much more.It probably ties in to Lor San Tekka's statement at the beginning of the film, that "without the Jedi, there can be no balance to the Force."
I have no problem with the lightsaber being the thing she gets the visions from. Obi Wan got the same visions in ROTS through that handheld Anakin held earlier in the film at Padme's apartment. It's not new. I dont buy the lightsaber choosing a person. "Hey Rey. I was Anakin's second lightsaber. We were destined to meet." If it were the only lightsaber Anakin had built then there might be some sentiment there. I would also think that Kylo Ren would be more interested in Vader's lightsaber instead of Anakin/Vader's. But that one got blowed up real good.

Rewatching ANH tonight and never noticed how jacked up the stuff about "Ben Kenobi" is beyond the obvious stuff mentioned before. Luke acts like he recognizes the name on a personal level, but then later asks his uncle if OB1's even still alive. So clearly he'd never met him. But then recognizes Ben when they first meet. It's all very inconsistent.

If the movie came out last week people here would be roasting it alive.

Rewatching ANH tonight and never noticed how jacked up the stuff about "Ben Kenobi" is beyond the obvious stuff mentioned before. Luke acts like he recognizes the name on a personal level, but then later asks his uncle if OB1's even still alive. So clearly he'd never met him. But then recognizes Ben when they first meet. It's all very inconsistent.

If the movie came out last week people here would be roasting it alive.

Luke says he knows a Ben Kenobi, but not an Obi-Wan.

Ren isn't Vader.

Ren stops a discharged laser in mid air, leaving it there until he leaves the scene. I do not need to mention the rest of his powers to illustrate that he's a man of enormous power, which places him somewhere near the top of the Force mountain, while Rey is at the bottom. She should not be able to go toe to toe with him at all.

She should not be able to go toe to toe with him at all.

She's not. Dude just killed his own dad, had at least one Wookiee thing in him, and had more boo-boos from recklessly toying with Finn. I don't think the movie was at all implying that she could go toe-to-toe with him... yet. What it did do was strongly suggest that she was at least his equal, if not even more gifted in the force. Not the same thing, though.

He blocked shots with his saber-- but what if holding it mid air is the beginner level of catching it in your hand like Vader.

Or his hand. I keep saying this in the Rey thread-- just because they do something we haven't seen, or are stronger at a particular trick than Luke was at a similar level SO WHAT? Why must they all be trained with the same order of tricks, with the same level of skill and it must conform to what Luke did.

Like I have said-- Star Wars is a MOVIE first and foremost. Movies have a style of narrative that combines brevity, visuals and a fast moving plot. You don't build a book the same way you build a movie.

It took me a long time to realize I didn't like the EU because they were not movies, and could never be written like movies. If it isn't a movie, it's not Star Wars to me. That doesn't make me less than a fan-- it makes me a fan of Star Wars as a story, but also as how it builds a complex world with such simple pieces. Star Wars are the most complex, yet most simple movies out there.

See, i've never struggled with what is--at the beginning and end of it all--products to make money. Decades ago, I never considered Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the Han / Lando novels, Marvel comics, newspaper strips, the Ewoks/Droids cartoons, action figure descriptions, Dark Horse or anything else as part of the films. They were just products to enjoy, but in no way did I think those plots had any connection to the OT. Hell, the Holiday Special featured the lead cast, but I did not considered that part of the official movie story.

Lucas needed to prey on a younger generation (post ROTJ) to ease the butt/wallet hurt over Marcia (i'm being mean), but in film history up to that point, comics and novels lived only as money-generators, and nice sidelines. Nothing more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.