The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

One of my big gripes was how the lightsaber, as someone else here posted, developed a consciousness. It's just a tool, a weapon that gets used and abused and once it stops serving its purpose its owner just gets a new one. But I was thinking, the last time we saw this particular lightsaber it still had Luke's hand attached to it. Whatever happened to it after falling from Cloud City and how it made its way to Maz Katana, the hand being sliced off with it might explain why this lightsaber has now become "one with the Force."

I may just be grasping at straws, but I hope something like this is explained in the subsequent films to show why Luke's lightsaber all of a sudden seems to be something they picked up at Diagon Alley.

Saw it again.

Much less bothered by Han finding the Falcon, it did seem as they they had an eye out for it... and despite never having flown it, Rey was pretty familiar with it... and it was on Jakku with her...

Mainly, I'm still hung up on how Starkiller fires more than once if it drains their sun of power. I said this out loud and my ten year old told me that "obviously it's a binary system, duh"

Beyond that, it was just as fun. I was able to process more input.

Mainly, I'm still hung up on how Starkiller fires more than once if it drains their sun of power.

Same. If it outright kills the star, did they move the entire planet to a new system after firing off those 5 blasts? Seems like a ton of work!

If it just temporarily dims a star by sucking up plasma, why don't they call it Stardimmer Base?

It seems kind of pointless to me. If you are going to kill the star to shoot the planets, aren't all the planets going to die anyways?

Except they are shooting other systems...

which makes no sense given that on Maz's planet they could see it in the sky.

Most stars do have companions. No surprise that they could get at least two shots off with Starkiller.

My wife saw TFA, and after years of hating Star Wars (when she gave it any thought at all) has decided it was enjoyable! That's the kind of success Disney is probably looking for.

I bothered Pablo Hidlago about it on Twitter so he explained how Starkiller Base worked. Apparently SK had already drained one sun of its power and moved on to the next system, it's star still intact, before firing on the Hosnian System. (That's why the one map has it listed as "Starkiller Base origin point".)

Yeah, it's really dumb, but I don't come to Star Wars for the physics.

As for the planets:

Jakku

Starkiller Base

Takodona (Maz's planet)

Hosnian Prime (Republic capital, destroyed)

D'Qar (Resistance base)

The planet Luke is on hasn't been named and isn't a planet we've seen before. (Another question posed to Pablo. I'm so glad he came back to Twitter.)

I bothered Pablo Hidlago about it on Twitter so he explained how Starkiller Base worked. Apparently SK had already drained one sun of its power and moved on to the next system, it's star still intact, before firing on the Hosnian System. (That's why the one map has it listed as "Starkiller Base origin point".)

They built a hyperdrive to move an entire planet?

Eh, whatever, I'm done trying to figure that thing out.

Is it just me, or are these new worlds underwhelming?

Not just you. Outside of the wreckage on Jakku, they seemed oddly disinterested in giving us interesting new locations. Well, I suppose the Nazi rally on Starkiller Base was technically new to Star Wars. Though, obviously, that's been done before.

To be honest I just don't see the difference, I think Lucas and Abhrams have been as unoriginal as each other in that regard by just re-hashing the same planet over and over, they just approached their lack of originality differently. Not sure why they couldn't have given us something a bit different visually. But as said earlier, not keen to go back to CGI landscapes either, so its not a major complaint.

It's a new planet that mimics an old one. I'd rather have that than go to Tatooine, again.

I'm not sure what the difference is.

But as said earlier, not keen to go back to CGI landscapes either, so its not a major complaint.

I consider the world building one of the strengths of the Prequels. They really were an opportunity to have some fun creating locations.

Even if you're not a huge fan of CGI, there's a happy medium here between simple repeated landscapes and all green screens.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.