The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

I don't mean THAT obviously.

I don't know if I said it here, or another thread--

But when Abrams Star Trek came out, I was willing to have fun and ignore all the problems. It was flashy and funny and stylistic and it took a lot of liberties, but the characters were likable. Just like TFA.

And I said-- okay, they got the crew together, they got the winks and nudges and fan service out of the way-- the next movie better be straight up Trek. They can do ANYTHING they want.

And they decided to try and do an alternate timeline version of Wrath of Khan. And failed. And now I don't want to see the first one ever again, and have next to no interest in Beyond.

I feel like TFA got the ball rolling in terms of getting Star Wars back on track. But if they do the same thing in episode 8, I am going to be really bummed.

I have high hopes that they follow the basic "Heroes Journey" outline. Rey will likely be forced to go off and fight prematurely and end up getting knocked down a few pegs. Then she'll wrap it up in the last episode. Once a good storyline is setup in the first episode of the trilogy, the other two are slow pitches. They just have to keep their eye on the ball and not fuck this up.

AM I the only one that feels like Episode 8 is the REAL probing ground? I feel like however that movie goes will effect my feelings on this one, and Star Wars in general.

I feel the same, and you could have been reading my mind when you wrote the follow up post (except I often watch Star Trek until Pegg appears whenever it's on TV)

Not that I would ever defend Zahn, but he wrote his story in an era where the only tertiary Star Wars material were the Han Solo books and the Star Wars RPG. All those brand names came from the RPG sourcebooks. I know because I was 13 and played the RPG. To his credit he was just using what little material there was out there to try and make sure things were cohesive.

Yes yes yes! I enjoyed the "smuggling illegal space monsters in a big, dark freighter" sequence specifically because it reminded me of playing smuggler templates in the RPG with all the shenanigans that would inevitably ensue! I wondered if the entire sequence was pulled from one of the supplements, in fact.

There's lots of great stuff in those books. Shameful the EU had to barf all over them.

:no:

AM I the only one that feels like Episode 8 is the REAL probing ground? I feel like however that movie goes will effect my feelings on this one, and Star Wars in general.

YES. I said in the ranking thread that if I don't like 8 and 9 better than TFA, I will be straight up disappointed. I cut TPM more slack now because it's a necessary evil to do some exposition to introduce everyone, but then AOTC and ROTS disappointed. Not because I loved TFA sooooo much. I enjoyed it, it's a fun movie, not sure how it will hold up over time, admittedly.

They're actually using a lot of West End Games material in Rebels. Pablo Hidalgo (story group guy) loves them, so they sneak that stuff in whenever possible.

Huh. That is intriguing. Was generally burned and bitter about Star Wars, and convinced TFA was going to be horrible up until a few weeks ago. Wasn't excited for it until Thursday, when literally everybody I knew who'd seen it said it was awesome (100% Friendometer rating!). I'm really glad to have been dead wrong about that one. SWR has long had a good buzz about it, maybe it's time to give that one a chance, too. What's yet-one-more addition to the Christmas Marathon Viewing Extravaganza?

:eek:

YES. I said in the ranking thread that if I don't like 8 and 9 better than TFA, I will be straight up disappointed. I cut TPM more slack now because it's a necessary evil to do some exposition to introduce everyone, but then AOTC and ROTS disappointed. Not because I loved TFA sooooo much. I enjoyed it, it's a fun movie, not sure how it will hold up over time, admittedly.

100% agreed on all this probing talk!

I have high hopes that they follow the basic "Heroes Journey" outline. Rey will likely be forced to go off and fight prematurely and end up getting knocked down a few pegs. Then she'll wrap it up in the last episode. Once a good storyline is setup in the first episode of the trilogy, the other two are slow pitches. They just have to keep their eye on the ball and not **** this up.

Agree!

Rey will level up-- but it's very likely that after killing his dad and getting his ass kicked, Kylo is also going to up his game.

So I just saw FA today and I totally loved it...

Cant be bothered really going into detail when most of you have already covered my thoughts more eloquently than I could. I feel along similar lines as Chalup, Driver, Pong and Choc about it. Though I was not too disappointed by Snoke, well, I totally get the hate but he was just MEH to me. Hopefully develops into something more.

Oh, I might be in the minority here but I think what would be ace is if Rey's last name is Kenobi rather than Skywalker. That she is Obi-Wans granddaughter from an unexplored relationship he had (which could also be touched on in an Obi-Wan standalone).

Apologies if anyone has bought that up, but 21 pages is a hell of a lot of reading to catch up on so I skipped a head a little.

I thought TFA had too many EU references. Citing the Falcon as a YT-model freighter was unnecessary. I never warmed to Zahn's obsessive need to label every little thing in his stories. Han couldn't just have a blaster; it had to be a BlasTech DL-44 Heavy Duty BlasterTM. The Falcon had to be a YT-1300 light freighter; why not give us its VIN, too, Timmy?

The Millennium Falcom being a YT-1300 goes back to at least a 1987 West End Games Sourcebook, and probably long before that. The BlasTech DL-44 as well. Those model names have been all over Star Wars toys, games, models, and other merchandise for decades. Heck, I've even seen it on licensed t-shirts.

Zahn's big contribution to canon remains his creation of the planet Coruscant.

It cannot affect your feelings about SW in general if you maintain the same ability to disregard what you do not like--as you do with the prequels. Everyone has their own internal continuity, so (and I know you're aware of this) you can add or subtract anything you desire.

About the idea of E8 being a proving ground--for its worth as a new series...yes. In-universe, I suspect there will be some obvious "we wanna out-dark ESB" middle act plotlines to escape the spectre of the last second act--AOTC.

I'll go ahead and call it that the reason Rey had to bring Luke's lost lightsaber back to him (when he built a replacement 30 years ago), is that during the events already referred to ( Jedi High being destroyed by Ren), his nephew also cut off Luke's artificial hand, along with a part of his forearm, hence the completely different, no synth-skin hand we see in TFA.

We know the symbolism of weapons in myth, but until TFA, the lightsaber did not hold some sort direct connection to the user (inspiring visions, action, etc.) or anything else, so its not like it was truly necessary, other than (once again) copy+pasting ANH by Rey eventually owning the heirloom.

Further--and this has floated around--Snoke murdered Rey's mother--aka Luke's wife--assuming Luke married. He's not strictly following Old Republic type of Jedi behavior, anyway.

About Finn: TFA is a start, but there has to be more to him than just being a disaffected trooper, if he's to serve any purpose at all going forward. This series does not need lead characters "in name only," but not function. TFA made a point to parallel Finn and Rey shedding their old lives simultaneously, so like Rey, I would hope something fleshes out his past...

How good was the bit when Chewie is in medical sat on the bed having his shoulder looked at by the nurse, and she's all like "Ohh you must be BRAVE" and he gets all chest puffy with pride "WROARRRR" like a kid who grazed his knee.

Yeah, I loved that. There were several hammy moments hearkening back to the OT's light-hearted goofiness that felt just right, and that was one of them.

There is a fine line between painfully stupid/childish humor (PT) and a timely wink to the audience that can be appreciated regardless of age or IQ (OT). TFA nailed the latter, IMO. Kids will probably be most enamored with that scene, but it's guaranteed to make adults (especially adults who grew up with Chewbacca) smile, too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.