The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

Luke didn't have visions around the saber because he didn't. There is no reason, in fact the reason is that Lucas had not thought of it back then. Analyzing it beyond that is crazy.

Star Wars is not meant to be taken this way. I honestly don't know how you guys like any Star Wars movie if you look at them this seriously.

Hated Finn, the scene where he asks Rey if she has a boyfriend right in the middle of running for their lives made me feel like I was watching a Michael Bay film.

Yeah this didn't work for me either. That was awkward as hell. The rest worked for me though.

To think Poe (a resistance fighter) trusted a Storm Trooper within a minute makes his character even more dumb. Finn could have been using him to get the plans, erm I mean map.

What choice did he have? He had to get out of the cell. I suspect once they reached the planet Poe would habe either pulled an Irish Exit or figured out if he could really trust Finn

Now that I've seen it twice, I really don't think Force Awakens mimics New Hope to the extent that most are critiquing it for. It borrows just as heavily from Empire and Jedi as well.

Okay then, a list of similarities that I threw together of the repeated plot points/themes between A New Hope and The Force Awakens (in order that they're seen in TFA):

1. First act takes place on a desert planet.

2. The Empire/First Order attacks for the first few scenes.

3. The Rebel/Resistance are on a mission to transport important data to Organa.

4. Knowing they’re about to be caught, the Rebel/Resistance hides the data in an astromech droid which is sent away.

5. Vader/Kylo Ren makes his appearance.

6. Vader/Kylo Ren talks to one of the prisoners. He doesn’t like the answer and kills him.

7. An important Rebel/Resistance member is taken prisoner.

8. Vader/Kylo Ren has a Tark/Hux with whom they share power.

9. We’re introduced to Luke/Rey.

10. Luke/Rey is an orphan on this desert planet.

11. Luke/Rey is Force sensitive.

12. The astromech is caught by a hooded technology scavenger.

13. Luke/Rey takes possession of the astromech.

14. The astromech refuses to talk about the mission to their new master.

15. The Empire/First Order becomes aware that the information was put into a droid.

16. Vader/Kylo Ren uses the Force to choke a subordinate who says something he doesn’t like.

17. The Empire/First Order shoots at pretty much anyone that gets in their way while trying to find the droid. Innocent people are murdered.

18. Luke/Rey is super impressed that Ben/Finn knows about the Rebellion/Resistance.

19. Luke/Finn fight off TIE Fighters in the Millennium Falcon.

20. They hide in the Millennium Falcon’s deck.

21. They meet an aging legendary warrior Ben/Han.

22. Ben/Han has been in exile.

23. The astromech shows the information they’re in possession of once they meet Ben/Han.

24. Luke/Finn almost eaten by a monster.

25. Ben/Han takes them to a bar filled with a collection of strange creatures for aid in getting them to their goal.

26. Anakin’s lightsaber serves as the call to become a Jedi Knight to Luke/Rey.

27. Luke/Rey refuse the call protesting they need to stay at home.

28. Luke/Rey are persuaded to continue their journey through the loss/giving up on their family.

29. Death Star/Starkiller introduced.

30. Han/Finn tries to abandon the quest. Comes back when friends are in trouble.

31. Death Star/Starkiller obliterates planet(s) as demonstration of power.

32. Luke/Finn are saved by Ben/Han from a tight spot.

33. Leia/Rey (Poe too) are strapped to the torture rack for information.

34. Luke/Rey touch the Force for the first time.

35. Leia/Rey successfully refuses to give up the information to Vader/Kylo Ren.

36. Plans are made to attack the Death Star/Starkiller.

37. There is a small flaw that will blow the whole thing up if hit correctly.

38. They will attack with a small fleet of X-Wings.

39. There’s a shot of Ben/Rey over a pit on the Death Star/Starkiller.

40. All the heroes are on the Death Star/Starkiller. We are now all in the belly of the beast.

41. The tractor beam/shields need to be taken down.

42. Someone gets dumped in the trash compactor.

43. The heroes rescue Leia/Rey.

44. X-Wing battle above the Death Star/Starkiller.

45. Leia/Leia is watching back at the base that’s going to be blown up.

46. Ben/Han confronts Vader/Kylo Ren.

47. With the young heroes watching, Ben/Han is struck down.

48. Luke/Poe is left alone to hit the Death Star/Starkiller’s weak spot.

49. The Force is with Luke/Rey in the moment when they need it most.

50. Luke/Rey are victorious over Vader/Kylo Ren, but the villain survives.

51. The Death Star/Starkiller explodes.

Feel free to add some more guys.

Actually thinking about it, Finn was a lot like the black guy from the first Transformers film.... All mouth.... like he had ADHD and needed Ritalin to calm himself down. He was so in your face.

Choc if you where tortured, how would you feel after it ?

No idea. How would someone feel after the Force is used to torture them mentally? I can also answer that one, its "no idea" and no one has an idea because no one has ever been "tortured" by the Force. Saying he hasn't reacted to something realistically to something that is so unrealistic is crazy.

Luke didn't have visions around the saber because he didn't. There is no reason, in fact the reason is that Lucas had not thought of it back then. Analyzing it beyond that is crazy.

True Lucas hadn't thought of it but if you're adding to an established story you have to take into account thinge like this. You can't just do whatever the fuck you want with no thought of established rules.

Yes, you can when you deal with something as nebulous as The Force. As I said earlier, it's not an absolute. The line of thinking about why didn't Luke have similar visions just leads down a rabbit hole. I mean why didn't Obi Wan or Yodas or Anakins ghost just appear to Rey? Why couldn't Obi Wan help Luke against Vader when he does help him while attacking the Death Star? Why don't they just use The Force for everything? Why couldn't Luke just blow up the 2nd Death Star telepathically? If Luke could telepathicaly call out to Leia on Bespin why couldn't he when they were searching for her on Endor?

You could play that game all day.

The indoctrination didn't work, obviously.

Obviously not. But I can't imagine being brainwashed into an anonymous killing machine since you were a young child would result in a person as normal (not to mention not all that good of a soldier) as Finn even if the brainwashing wasn't perfectly effective.

Well, he was a sanitation trooper, which probably means he didn't do very well in Stormtrooper University. For all we know, this was the first time he had been ordered to shoot at real, live people (or at least people who wouldn't/couldn't shoot back), and he just couldn't handle it.

Hated Finn, the scene where he asks Rey if she has a boyfriend right in the middle of running for their lives made me feel like I was watching a Michael Bay film. He wasn't funny at all. I found him more annoying than Jar Jar to be honest. I was hoping he was dead at the end.

Can I assume you had a similar problem with Han's "Wonderful girl... Either I'm going to kill her or I'm beginning to like her!" comment as laser blasts are flying past his head, or was that too Michael Bay, as well?

:eek:

No idea. How would someone feel after the Force is used to torture them mentally? I can also answer that one, its "no idea" and no one has an idea because no one has ever been "tortured" by the Force. Saying he hasn't reacted to something realistically to something that is so unrealistic is crazy.

Choc, I seem to remember the back of his head being smashed into a metallic slab, and I think he had blood on his face.

Funny, I thought Finn was easily the weakest character in the movie. Not at all what I'd imagine a defecting stormtrooper to act like.

Well that's obviouslly your imagination at work there. To be honest, a defecting stormtrooper is a totally fresh idea. Just what exactly were you expecting? A rogue stormtrooper is inherently an anomaly anyways.

He's an average Joe conscripted at an early age and trained to shoot. He recognizes the hums of tie fighters, knows whe to run, duck, hide, survive. His instinct is to fight, and is at least pretty decent at it. Beyond that, he's not too bright, but possibly brighter and braver than the average stormtrooper because he thinks for himself and acts upon his conscience...or not who knows it's a new concept.

They establish stormtroopers are trained to fight versus lightsabers when Finn clashes lightsaber to blastersaber thingy with another trooper. I have mixed feelings about that, but the purpose of that (besides wouldn't it be cool if) is to make the wounded Kylo vs Finn saber fight plausible to last more than fifteen seconds before going down in flames.

Besides being a charismatic, dynamic, and likable character, I thought he was well utilized. He served well as the "Hero's Hero" to Rey, much like Han was to Luke in ANH, minus the scoundrelesque charm.

The Force Awakens is like Star Wars, it would be stupid to say it's not.

It's like having a favorite chair that you've been sitting on for 40 years and the upholstery is a bit torn and faded. Then your wife/girlfriend or whatever takes it out to the store and gets it reupholstered for you.

It's the same chair, but now that it looks all nice and pretty again, you remember how much you always loved it.

Oh so someone taking the time to be sarcastic is more realistic and believable than someone hitting on a pretty girl

Yes it is, for many reasons. Take some advice from me... never hit on a girl when your life is danger, wait till it's all calmed down, light a few candles, put on a Barry White CD ;-) Wait for the right moment.

I agree, but I'd say its very realistic to say that Finn wouldn't know how to hit on a girl.

The fact is this: it's all gut. If when the credits rolled your gut/emotional reaction was "ughh I'm disappointed" you will go back in your mind and try to find reasons. If your guy reaction was "that was awesome" when people bring those issues up you will say "who cares."

Now that I've seen it twice, I really don't think Force Awakens mimics New Hope to the extent that most are critiquing it for. It borrows just as heavily from Empire and Jedi as well.

Okay then, a list of similarities that I threw together of the repeated plot points/themes between A New Hope and The Force Awakens (in order that they're seen in TFA):

1. First act takes place on a desert planet.

2. The Empire/First Order attacks for the first few scenes.

3. The Rebel/Resistance are on a mission to transport important data to Organa.

4. Knowing they’re about to be caught, the Rebel/Resistance hides the data in an astromech droid which is sent away.

5. Vader/Kylo Ren makes his appearance.

6. Vader/Kylo Ren talks to one of the prisoners. He doesn’t like the answer and kills him.

7. An important Rebel/Resistance member is taken prisoner.

8. Vader/Kylo Ren has a Tark/Hux with whom they share power.

9. We’re introduced to Luke/Rey.

10. Luke/Rey is an orphan on this desert planet.

11. Luke/Rey is Force sensitive.

12. The astromech is caught by a hooded technology scavenger.

13. Luke/Rey takes possession of the astromech.

14. The astromech refuses to talk about the mission to their new master.

15. The Empire/First Order becomes aware that the information was put into a droid.

16. Vader/Kylo Ren uses the Force to choke a subordinate who says something he doesn’t like.

17. The Empire/First Order shoots at pretty much anyone that gets in their way while trying to find the droid. Innocent people are murdered.

18. Luke/Rey is super impressed that Ben/Finn knows about the Rebellion/Resistance.

19. Luke/Finn fight off TIE Fighters in the Millennium Falcon.

20. They hide in the Millennium Falcon’s deck.

21. They meet an aging legendary warrior Ben/Han.

22. Ben/Han has been in exile.

23. The astromech shows the information they’re in possession of once they meet Ben/Han.

24. Luke/Finn almost eaten by a monster.

25. Ben/Han takes them to a bar filled with a collection of strange creatures for aid in getting them to their goal.

26. Anakin’s lightsaber serves as the call to become a Jedi Knight to Luke/Rey.

27. Luke/Rey refuse the call protesting they need to stay at home.

28. Luke/Rey are persuaded to continue their journey through the loss/giving up on their family.

29. Death Star/Starkiller introduced.

30. Han/Finn tries to abandon the quest. Comes back when friends are in trouble.

31. Death Star/Starkiller obliterates planet(s) as demonstration of power.

32. Luke/Finn are saved by Ben/Han from a tight spot.

33. Leia/Rey (Poe too) are strapped to the torture rack for information.

34. Luke/Rey touch the Force for the first time.

35. Leia/Rey successfully refuses to give up the information to Vader/Kylo Ren.

36. Plans are made to attack the Death Star/Starkiller.

37. There is a small flaw that will blow the whole thing up if hit correctly.

38. They will attack with a small fleet of X-Wings.

39. There’s a shot of Ben/Rey over a pit on the Death Star/Starkiller.

40. All the heroes are on the Death Star/Starkiller. We are now all in the belly of the beast.

41. The tractor beam/shields need to be taken down.

42. Someone gets dumped in the trash compactor.

43. The heroes rescue Leia/Rey.

44. X-Wing battle above the Death Star/Starkiller.

45. Leia/Leia is watching back at the base that’s going to be blown up.

46. Ben/Han confronts Vader/Kylo Ren.

47. With the young heroes watching, Ben/Han is struck down.

48. Luke/Poe is left alone to hit the Death Star/Starkiller’s weak spot.

49. The Force is with Luke/Rey in the moment when they need it most.

50. Luke/Rey are victorious over Vader/Kylo Ren, but the villain survives.

51. The Death Star/Starkiller explodes.

Feel free to add some more guys.

Did you catch the ESB mirror of Rey / Leia kissing Finn / Luke, who was recovering from the losing end of a lightsaber duel?

Obviously not. But I can't imagine being brainwashed into an anonymous killing machine since you were a young child would result in a person as normal (not to mention not all that good of a soldier) as Finn even if the brainwashing wasn't perfectly effective.
Well, he was a sanitation trooper, which probably means he didn't do very well in Stormtrooper University. For all we know, this was the first time he had been ordered to shoot at real, live people (or at least people who wouldn't/couldn't shoot back), and he just couldn't handle it.

I thought he flat out said it was the first time he'd been ordered to kill people? But I've only seen it once.

I thought he flat out said it was the first time he'd been ordered to kill people? But I've only seen it once.

I believe he said something along that line, which means his resistance meant he was never cut out to be a trained killer on command--easily justifying his defection.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.