The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

I've only seen the movie once, but I absolutely did notice Obi-Wans voice, although I didn't make out what he said. I love how Luke's mentors are speaking to her, helping her along though from her point of view they are just unknown voices and are kind of scary. It's like, the force is an actual character in this movie, bringing Rey, the future of the force to her destiny.

Everyone else has gushed over this movie, so I guess it's my turn. I loved everything about this movie. There are several scenes I keep thinking about, but the top three are Han's reunion with Leia, Han and BEN! on the bridge, and Luke and Rey at the end. Even though I totally saw all of this coming and wasn't really surprised by any of it, there was something so awesome about seeing this on the big screen.

And btw, those steps that Rey climbed at the end have a story to tell in real life. It's either Ireland or Scotland, but their true origins are unknown ( if I remember the story correctly, that is). It used to be a tourist thing to climb it but the stones are so old and beat up that people actually died and they had to shut it down.

They've actually shot scenes there for Episode 8 already because it would have been too dangerous to shoot there during winter months.

I'd love to see Ep 8 pick up exactly where 7 left off, and more shooting at this location could mean that will happen.

But with the opening crawl thing I guess its unlikely. :( I would just love to see that first conversation they have.

Just a few fleeting thoughts:

How would you guys feel about Lando making an appearance in episode eight for Han's sake? Maybe he teams up with Chewie, honors his friend, or tries to turn his son back, or avenge him and plays a part in an attempt to capture/kill ihis son? Billie Dee!

I will be disappointed if he does not show up at some point! After all, the MF used to be his and he piloted it with Chewie while Han was in the carbonite.

I'm pretty sure I've read that gwendoline Christie was confirmed for episode 8. I wonder how they'll contrive Phasma surviving. I'm glad if it's true, I think the character could have a badass scene or two in her that we didn't get in TFA.

I think they'll do quite a bit with Phasma to make her more interesting. At the very least it'll give Finn something to do.

I'm really curious to see what they do with Finn. He seems to be the new Han Solo of the bunch as far as comic relief goes, but at this point he's just a love interest for Rey. He hung with Ren for a while (which is my only gripe of the movie, btw), but outside of that he's pretty much a non factor.

I'm sure they'll develop his character in the next one but I have no idea where they're gonna go with him at this point. Him and Chewie in the Falcon, maybe?

Another bit that lead me to this was when Rey saw Luke in the vision. The bit from the trailer where he was kneeling next to R2 and reaching out with his metal hand. Was that when he gave R2 the map? Did he instruct R2 to go in to hibernation to protect this information? Was it always part of his plan to be found when he wanted to be found??

Feel free to tell me I'm going crazy :)

It seems R2 had a portion of the map from when he interfaced with the original Death Star in A New Hope. JJ explains here... http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

That location is Skellig Michael

It's an astonishing place with incredible history, and I recognized it immediately, even though I didn't know filming had taken place there

Someone above said they were sceptical about the helicopter shot; they probably had to remove the Irish mainland in post for some of it, but if you stand where they were and look West, there's no land between you and America

When I first heard that JJ Abrams would be taking over my initial gut reaction was that this film would be bad, I have many problems with Abrams films in general (but that's another story). Then when I heard that Lawrence Kasdan was on board I then began to think this could actually be great. With Lucas still onboard as a consultant, it would be like the old days when they made 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

I remember watching an interview with Kasdan from years ago, in this interview Kasdan said that after reading the first draft for 'The Empire Strikes Back' (written by Leigh Brackett) that what was great about it was that this wasn't just a rehash of the first film, and this is what makes a great sequel. So why the hell did we just get a rehash of everything from the first film with 'The Force Awakens'.

I'm going to divide this into sections. The first thing I want to address are the characters because this I found to the biggest problem of the film.

Luke Skywalker:

Luke Skywalker, who was the ultimate archetypal hero of the entire saga had in actual fact become the ultimate coward of this film.

Luke went into hiding because 'The First Order' (The new Empire) where out to get him, but during the original trilogy Darth Vader and The Empire where also out to get him and he didn't run from them, he took them on, and they where bigger and more threatening.

In this film we learn that Luke was partly responsible for the entire mess to begin with and he did nothing about it. He decided not to help his friends and family. That is not the Luke Skywalker I remember from the original trilogy.

Instead of cleaning up the mess he created he has decided to desert his own sister (who is still tirelessly fighting) and has allowed his nephew Kylo Ren (after training him) to run off and join the First Order.

I can't believe that Luke would sit back and do nothing, especially knowing the potential Kylo Ren has. He has basically (unintentionally) created another Darth Vader. This totally undermines EVERYTHING Luke did in the original trilogy. This is all his fault.

During his training in 'The Empire Strikes Back' he leaves prematurely to save his friends, despite Obi Wan and Yoda pleading with him not to.. He sacrifices everything in Jedi to defeat the Empire and save his father. Now things are worse than ever and he is sitting on a rock, alone and is staring at lakes all day.

Now to top this all off, Luke gets about 30 seconds of screen time and has NO LINES in the entire film. This is just the worst case of character development I've ever come across in any film period, and one of the greatest things about the original films was the character development, especially Luke's, the story of a boy becoming man, the right of passage etc... What a complete and total waste and missed opportunity to show Han and Luke back in the thick of it. That's what I wanted to see.

Han Solo:

One of my all time favourite characters from any film, period. The low life bum, mercenary, smuggler with a heart of gold who falls in love with the Princess and gives up his old ways to help the rebellion and fight the Empire, again character development. He ends up becoming a highly decorated general and hero in the rebellion. Is actions are fundamental in the downfall of the Empire.

In this film Han has gone completely backwards and not forwards, and is once again a low life bum, flying around in his ship and getting into all kinds of trouble. It's just hard to believe his character would turn out this way. We learn that he married Leia and the marriage didn't survive. After everything they went through too. Just tragic.

When Han stands on that (very conveniently) narrow bridge with no railing that is situated over an endless abyss to confront his son, I knew what was coming.

How distasteful to kill off one of the most beloved characters of the entire saga in such a cruel way. To be stabbed in the chest with a lightsaber by his very own SON and then seeing his lifeless body fall into that abyss ?.... That's how you kill off a villain, not a Hero. I would not wish that on my own worst enemy. It's just tragic and hard to watch. Han Solo deserved a much better send off. His death had no significance, his actions just made things worse, it enabled his Son to let go of his past and go further into the Dark Side. Han didn't go out with a blaze of glory or anything like that. His final heroic action was a failure. What a waste, Abrams just killed off the best character in the film so far.

Leia:

Not much can be said, she was there doing her thing with the Resistance just like she did in the other films. Obviously she is a mother now.

C3PO and R2D2:

C3PO was just there to fill in the blanks, just to let the audience know he is still around, he didn't do anything to serve the story.

R2D2 has shut himself down and gone into a state of depression since Luke left. I actually laughed at how ludicrous this idea was. R2D2 just needs a bit of therapy and counselling, of yeah, droids have psychological problems too...just like us....and all they did was shove him into a corner of a dark room and throw a cloth over him. Just absolutely ridiculous.

Chewbacca:

Poor Chewie. That's all I can say.

Rey and Finn.

Rey is the new Luke of the films. Finn (so far) is just the comedy sidekick, storm trooper turned good.

Their relationship developed way too fast for me. There isn't a whole lot to say about them. Rey comes from humble beginnings like Luke and she has a sensitivity to the Force. I'm not sure how, but she somehow manages to fly the Falcon, and pull pieces out of it's cockpit and and fix it etc... conveniently clever I think. Finn was just annoying, in some ways more annoying than Jar Jar Binks. That's just a personal thing though. I didn't like him. Scenes like where he asks Rey if she has a boyfriend while the First Order are chasing them don't work for me either. It's just dumb and stupid. If your running for your life the last thing you would want to be doing is trying to hit on a girl. This was like a scene that Michael Bay would write.

In this film Rey discovers her abilities after Luke's old Lightsaber calls out to her. Since when did a lightsaber have a consciousness. What is this Excalibur / Lady of the Lake **** they are throwing at us here ? It's a weapon, a piece of metal that emits a beam, that's all. To say a Lightsabre is calling out to someone is just the worst idea from a Star Wars film EVER.

This scene where she finds it is reminiscent of Luke in the cave on Dagobah, but I'm not sure if we are seeing the past or possibly the future, I think it's a mix of both.

So anyway, during this film Rey learns all these Jedi skills and tricks that it took Luke three films to learn from Yoda (The Jedi Mind Trick) etc... I mean come on.

POE DAMERON

Poe is a spy and the new hot shot pilot and a good guy who becomes friends with Finn,and that's about it. Nothing else to see here.

BB8

A cute robot that makes everyone go awwwww, a bit like the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi, but not quite the same. I did like him :)

MAZ KANATA.

What a really dodgy looking design for an alien character in a Star Wars film, or any film in general. She was like some kind of clairvoyant or something, nothing was really explained. I didn't like her or it, or whatever it was meant to be. Probably the closest thing we will ever see in these films to Yoda, minus the charm and interesting aspects of the character. Boring and throwaway garbage you would expect to see in a kids film, oh wait, we are talking about a kids film. It was CGI too. Would have bee better to see the actress who performed the motion capture than seeing this.

KYLO REN.

Never before has a dark Jedi been such a whiny ***** since Anakin, Sure he is conflicted, but so was Vader. Why does he walk around with that mask on all the time anyway ? There was a reason Vader wore a mask. He doesn't need it. It seems pointless. He has a lot of issues.

SNOKE:

25 foot CGI Hollogram of Gollum. What else can be said other than he seems to be the one in charge. He is to Kylo Ren what the Emporer was to Vader.

THE STORY AND IT'S ANNOYING PLOT CONVENIENCES.

The film as a whole was very fast paced, it was one set action piece after another, it didn't slow down to breathe. The original films had long scenes of dialogue, whether it was discussing the intricacies of The Force or just planning the Rebels attack on the Death Star. There was a build up, things where explained, not too much, but enough to get you excited and stir up the imagination... anything like this was all absent from this film.

The space battles where the worst I've seen in any Star Wars film, if you blink you will miss it. In many ways I was reminded of the Transformers films, where the action just goes on and on and on... I was actually bored watching the battle scenes.

Run Down.

The amount of plot conveniences where too much. So Poe Dameron is sent by Leia to the planet Jakku (which looks just like Tatooine but boring), to retrieve the missing piece of the puzzle as to where Luke Skywalker is. Why they only sent one man I don't know, I mean if it's that important.... anyway.....the plans had somehow ended up in the hands of Max Von Sidow's character. Great actor, who was totally under used in this film.

Poe puts the plans into BB8, (just like Leia did with R2D2 in a New Hope). Poe is captured and BB8, (on this gigantic desert planet) accidentally bumps into Rey, who immediately has empathy for this Droid.

Meanwhile Finn, who was on the planet but didn't want to kill anyone decides to run from the First Order and rescue Poe. They escape in a Tie Fighter from a Star Destroyer (which has a frigging tractor beam). Instead of trying to re-capture them they shoot the ship down, which crashes back on Jaku. (Remember when the Star Destroyer used a tractor beam at the beginning of 'A New Hope') ? Anyway....

On the surface of Jacku Finn can't find Poe, but in no time at all he very conveniently bumps into Rey (who is with BB8 who is holding the map)....this planet must be the size of a small village.... and then they are chased by the First Order.

Whilst on the run they see the Millennium Falcon parked up in an open space, (another massive convenience) they get on board and they take off. They fight off their pursuers while a Star Destroyer with a frigging tractor beam looms above them and does nothing to bring them in. The scene tried to be spectacular but had nothing on the 'Asteroid Field' chase in Empire, which was made back in the late 70's.

Then they are caught in the tractor beam of some crappy looking spaceship that looks like it came from a Star Trek film, and guess who is on that ship folks ? It's none other than our friendly smuggler Han Solo and his sidekick Chewbacca, (round of applause please)....they just happened to be there to help our new heroes, what a guy....or maybe just another weak plot convenience written by JJ Abrams. By this point I can't take it any more

Onboard the Star Trek ship there is all this stuff going in with some awful looking CGI creature designs called Rathars. They are like balls with teeth and tentacles, these are probably the worst aliens seen in a Star Wars film to date. Then these bad guys turn up wanting solo, who tries to talk his way out of it all. Their leader has a Scottish accent, this totally took me out of the reality they where trying to create with this film. Why are we hearing people with Scottish accents now ? I'm thinking to myself at this point will we maybe see a Scouser ? A Brummie ? A Geordie ? Anyway, they make their escape by jumping straight into light speed, a very non spectacular escape if you ask me, and just plain stupid.

Han tells Rey and Finn he can help them find Luke, so they go to this lush planet that's all green with rolling hills and lakes. I can't remember the name of it so I will call it the Lake District planet, because that is where it was filmed. At this point I'm thinking about all the cool interesting worlds we saw in the other films, even the prequels, if I wanted to see this I'd get in a car and take a short drive up the motorway. No imagination here whatsoever.

So Han takes them to a slightly medieval looking Castle that is just like the Cantina from A New Hope, it's just another wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy, but boring in comparison.

There they meet Maz Kanata, a very poorly designed CGI character that is a little bit like Yoda, minus any charm.

Now here is where it gets worse.... Rey hears a crying sound coming from another room, so she goes to investigate. What does she find ? Luke Skywalkers Lightsaber..... how many more of these stupid badly written plot conveniences do we have to endure ?

So Rey then has a vision like Luke's in the cave on Dagobah, we see images of (I think) the past, present and future that make little sense. Then Maz Kanata tells Rey that the Lightsaber was calling to her.... Yes... the Lightsaber was actually calling to her. I thought a Lightsaber was a weapon, but no, this implies that the weapon has some kind of consciousness, like some kind of cheap reference to Excalibur and the Lady of the Lake... Please no more, can this film get any worse ? I promise you it does....

The First Order decide to use their new ultimate weapon, Star Killer Base.... Now Return of the Jedi was heavily criticised for having a second Death Star with an easy to exploit weakness, but I was OK with it. Three times ? Just no. Starkiller Base also looks terrible aesthetically compared to the previous Death Star's, and there is this big stupid explanation as to how it blow planets up. We don't need any of that, we just know that it blows planet's up and that's enough, anyway, it needs to draw it's power from a sun before it can power up, but if it destroys suns then the surrounding planets would die anyway, so why doesn't it just blow up a sun ? That would be much better and would be more appropriate for the weapons name, as a Sun is essentially a Star anyway.

I'm not sure which planet it is that they destroy, I thought it was Coruscant (which is the home of the Republic in the prequels), and they do say to blow up the Governments planet, and it looked identical to Coruscant. Anyway, they blow the planet up (which came across as a big FU to Lucas and the Prequels).

Back on the Lake District planet everyone looks up in shock. They can see the planet and it's moons that have been destroyed in the sky above. JJ Abrams...this is one very small Universe you are playing around in. The distance must be similar to that of the distance between the Earth to the Moon, so why bother having light speed capabilities in the first place ?

So, following this there is a battle and Rey is captured by Ren. X Wings turn up and chase away the First Order. This terrible looking space ship lands and who gets out ? Leia and C3PO. Han and Leia are re-united. The dialogue was cringe worthy. 'I see you have the same outfit'.... 'It's a new Jacket'. What kind of dialogue is this ? The kind that makes me want to vomit. It reminded me of the Crystal Skull.

So Han and his new friends go back to the Rebels, I mean Resistance base and leave Rey with the First order.

With the Resistance assembled they figure out in about three minutes how to exploit the weakness of this crappy looking matt painting which is called Star Killer Base. It reminded me of a throw away episode of Star Trek the Next Generation where Geordie Laforge always saves the day. During this scene we see all these cameos, aaw look it's Admiral Ackbar who has about one line (was looking forward to seeing him as a character), then we see all JJ Abrams buddies from Lost and the fat guy who was in the Hollow Man who is also his buddy. Please stop taking me out of the film Mr Abrams, I know they are your buddies, but please, pack it in.

Now we see what has become of our beloved poor R2D2. BB8 goes over to him to say hello (I admit, this little droid is cute) but R2 won't respond. 3PO tells him that ever since Master Luke left he has shut himself down and won't respond to anyone. Poor R2D2 is suffering with depression folks. Yes, even in the Star Wars universe robots (just like humans) have psychological problems and need therapy too. This was just ludicrous. All they did was throw a cloth over him and leave him to gather dust in the corner of a dark room. Just terrible writing.

So now Han, Chewy and Finn set off to find Rey on Star Killer Base. After interrogating Rey, Kylo leaves her unattended. Rey somehow, with no guidance figures out how to use the Jedi Mind Trick and is now developing skills that took Luke Skywalker three films to learn from Obi Wan and Yoda. Can Abrams insult us any more and expect us to believe this ?

Han, Chewie and the new comedy sidekick decide to plant explosives on the Star Killer Base while Rey is still on board. Now remember, this Star Killer Base is the size of a planet, so....what are the chances of them bumping into Rey on there ? Pretty bleak I would say, but no, not in a JJ Abrams film folks. Don't worry, JJ has our backs... thankfully due to weak writing our heroes are now once again re-united because JJ thinks all Star Wars fans must be dumb and they will accept anything, thrown at them.

'Can we have another plot convenience Mr Abrams ?'.... 'Sure folks, I'll give you another one, I'm getting quite good at this'. Now that we are all on this planet sized space station I'll put Kylo Ren in the same room so we can have a Father and Son scene like in 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

This is a gut wrenching scene to say the least, we see our beloved hero of the franchise die in a way that is very, and I mean very, very cruel. The last thoughts in his mind before he died must have been... my son is evil, he has killed me, he will kill Leia, everyone else, Luke deserted us, this is it, this is how it ends for me.... So distasteful.

From this point on I was numb, I couldn't really follow what happened next. I just remember seeing a very poor space battle, no plan of attack or co-ordination like the other films, just ships firing lasers, the next thing you know the planet, I mean Star Killer Base is beginning to crumble, so either the explosives Han set or the X Wings had hit it's weak spot, just like with the last two death stars.

So here we go, the final Lightsaber duel. Finn takes out Rey in a second, using the Force he throws her into a tree and she falls to the ground unconscious. He must be powerful to do that. How the hell are our heroes going to get out of this one... better throw in another plot convenience Mr Abrams.

Finn picks up the Lightsaber and despite him (as far as we know) not having any Force abilities, manages to give Kylo a half decent fight. Now remember Ren has been trained by Luke Skywalker and has inherited the Force sensitivities of his mother, uncle and grandfather. He could have taken Finn out the same way he did with Rey in a second, but he didn't. Eventually he does though, and Finn is left laying in the snow, either dead or unconscious. Rey wakes up, Ren tries to use the Force to pull the Lightsaber out of the snow, just as Luke did in the cave on Hoth (poor throw back), but he can't. Wait a minute, I thought we had already established he was powerful enough to do that he could throw a human being into the air... anyway.... The Lightsaber is eventually drawn out of the snow by Rey. Rey, despite not training with a lightsaber hands Ren's ass to him. She beats the crap out of him. Starkiller Base is crumbling and Chewie picks her up in the falcon.

We then arrive back at the Rebel base, I'm still numb at this point and finding it hard to focus on what is happening so maybe I missed something... lo and behold JJ has one more new plot convenience for us up his sleeve. For some unexplained reason R2D2 wakes up from his long slumber and presents the missing piece of the puzzle. That little dustbin on wheels had the plans all along. There was no need for Leia to send Poe to Jacku in the first place, no need to for Han to die, no need for any of the entire film full stop. That to me is the biggest insult you can give to an audience member of any film.

Rey departs and hugs Leia, she goes to find Luke so she can give him the Lightsaber that called out to her... pffftt.....and there he is, completely isolated and looking weathered with his beard, standing on a rock like a hippy who has been smoking pot and meditating for the last 10 or 20 years. That was not the Luke Skywalker I remember, nor what I wanted (or even more importantly) expected to see.

Perhaps there will be an explanation in the next one that stopped Luke from getting involved, but it better be a damn good one. Perhaps his interfering could make things even worse.

What a massively wasted opportunity not to give Han and Luke any screen time together. I see no point in bringing back Lando either... now with Han gone.

Final Thoughts:

To me, 'The Force Awakens' was a massively budgeted fan film. Once George Lucas walked away (and I can see why) that was it for me. JJ is a fan, he said so himself.

This film offered nothing really new, original or interesting, it was just a rehash. No imagination went in to this film. The film had some of the poorest character development of any film. The bonding between the new characters wasn't convincing, not like in the old films.

People can say what they want about the prequels, but they where much grander in scope and vision. Aesthetically it was average, and in some place well below average. The old films had some great looking ships, vehicles, hardware, costumes and planets etc... In parts it felt like I was watching something made for TV. The sets looked like sets and all the best shots where in the trailers.

The Force Awakens did not have the epic feel, the scope or the grandeur of the original films. It didn't take me to places where the other films took me..... and the places where that film took me, I never want to go back there again... ever.

Another bit that lead me to this was when Rey saw Luke in the vision. The bit from the trailer where he was kneeling next to R2 and reaching out with his metal hand. Was that when he gave R2 the map? Did he instruct R2 to go in to hibernation to protect this information? Was it always part of his plan to be found when he wanted to be found??

It seems R2 had a portion of the map from when he interfaced with the original Death Star in A New Hope. JJ explains here... http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

So they admit it was a bit of an ass pull meant for dramatic purposes-- no deeper plot involving Luke or Rey activating him. I kinda call LAME on that.

Also, I most certainly call LAME on filmmakers that rely on interviews to explain things they should have explained on screen. THAT has a particular Prequel taste to it that I do not like.

So they admit it was a bit of an ass pull meant for dramatic purposes-- no deeper plot involving Luke or Rey activating him. I kinda call LAME on that.

Also, I most certainly call LAME on filmmakers that rely on interviews to explain things they should have explained on screen. THAT has a particular Prequel taste to it that I do not like.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it was played out on screen, but fans didn't want to take it at face value.

Also, I don't think it's fair at this point to blame Luke for going into hiding. We don't know the entire story or really why everyone is looking for him. This is exactly what Yoda and Obi-wan did, btw. And they also both warned Luke NOT to go on a rescue mission to begin with, but he stubbornly refused to obey and almost died as a result. Calling him a coward is premature.

The film as a whole was very fast paced, it was one set action piece after another, it didn't slow down to breathe. The original films had long scenes of dialogue, whether it was discussing the intricacies of The Force or just planning the Rebels attack on the Death Star. There was a build up, things where explained, not too much, but enough to get you excited and stir up the imagination... anything like this was all absent from this film.

I think this is my biggest gripe with this film (talking to another UKdian, so it's a film); a lot of things lacked sufficient development (some characters) or explanation & build-up / depth (events) or reaction / grieving (Han's death + billions of others) because there was too much stuff to get through = a bullet point film in places

(and it's not a this film versus the originals thing; it's a this film versus a lot of other films thing)

They never mourn anyones death in Star Wars really. I mean Lukes aunt and uncle are killed and he looks down at the ground for 5 seconds. Obi Wan is killed, Luke yells no and runs away. Then there is one shot on the Falcon of him being down. Thats how Star Wars is, it never has stopped or slowed down for those kind of moments.

Agreed to Driver's most recent comments.

As for Trumpet's post the only thing I agree with is the chapter on Luke. The ONLY thing that can save Luke's rep at this point is if we find out in the next movie he retreated to communicate with the Force without distractions and he discovered so cool shit. Otherwise, this is plot contrived character derailment.

We just don't know enough about why Luke left. I think there is more to it than Han said. Personally I think he is training Jedi in secret there. When Kylo left he realized that he couldn't expose Jedi to the dark side, Snoke, Ren until they were ready. So he left to train the Jedi in secret. I'm thinking like 2 or 3 more students in addition to Rey. This leads us to having Luke, Rey, a couple more students to oppose the Knights of Ren.

They don't, but lulls in the action allow for scenes like Obi Wan reacting to the destruction and Alderaan and people trying to console Luke after they escape from the first Death Star, and as much I loved Chewie rage, a similar scene for him re Han's death would have been nice. It's not a deal-breaker or anything, but I think this movie did sacrifice some important things in order to cram more action in.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.