The I've Seen The Force Awakens Thread (spoilers OBV)

Driver

If she were Merl Streep nobody would nitpick. Watching her in TFA was like watching an old druggie whore try to say something meaningful.

I'm not saying she's a great actress, but have you been on the Internets? I guarantee you people would nitpick Streep if she showed up years after her last role and had *gasp* aged and stuff. Maybe they'd be complimentary toward her performance, but her appearance would be commented on, guaranteed.

Producers didn't think Meryl was pretty when she was young, so they certainly don't think she's pretty now. She didn't care. She's Meryl ****ing Streep.

Producers didn't think Meryl was pretty when she was young, so they certainly don't think she's pretty now. She didn't care. She's Meryl ****ing Streep.

That's not the issue. The issue is people making comments about her appearance from the peanut gallery. I don't find Streep attractive and don't feel a need to post rude comments about her appearance from the relative anonymity of social media, but others do (e.g. "She's a great actress, but..."), regardless of how well she performs in her role.

She did lose weight.

I loved Leia's role in TFA. Yes, she stood around a lot, because she was in charge of the entire Resistance! How is that not awesome?

It so is! With my second viewing though I saw past the standing around being in charge and looked into her eyes. Looking forward to seeing more of her next time :)

I'm not saying she didn't, just addressing the people saying she's still fat and it's because of age.

I only take issue with it because it implies old people who are skinny are only that way because they won the genetic lottery.

I sort of started this but I wasn't referring to her being fat. I didn't think she really was that overweight but she has said TFA gave her a reason to get fit. Just like you had a reason to to loose weight. I think that paid off for her as it has for you. Congrats! A lot of the criticism I read was more about the work she has had done especially around the mouth. She got old and felt the pressure that is placed on most women in the industry to go the botox.

That's what happens when you drink a lot of whiskey, smoke loads of ciggies and shovel cocaine up your nose for two decades.

But Ms Fischer has a point. No one criticises Harrison ford for having a saggy jaw line and a slight old man gut. For her to be singled out and made a pariah over the impact of her lifestyle choices, that do not fit the Hollywood status quo of feminine body image, is a little rich. Especially since she isn't fat for her age. Or particularly haggard at all IMO. Ultimately I'm of the opinion, who gives a ****? Yet we love to poke at people's vulnerabilities.

Yep it's a double standard not limited to Hollywood.

I don't have sympathy for people who earn thousands and millions of pounds having to stay skinny.

However I do abhor idiots on social media pointing out things and body shaming. Although, would I be wrong in saying that it's mostly women who do this?

The thing about body shamers is that you can feel sure that the only reason they do it is because they aren't happy with their own weight. They see someone in a movie who's not 100% perfect and slamming that person is their fkd up way of saying "hey look I'm not that fat after all".

Diet and exercise are too much for them. A mean tweet is so much easier.

I really hope the Carrie Fishers of the world see it that way. Give some random prick a Twitter account and they'll do whatever they can to make people as miserable as they are.

It's an old cornball expression, but never let the bastards get you down. Unfortunately social media gives them a voice.

Hey everybody, Nightly's favorite troll checking in.

Was back home in the US for a few weeks and caught it at the Kips Bay AMC in Manhattan. Great screen, NO 3-D (I dislike it, don't ask me why.. I'm cranky, go f-ck yourself). For context- I read basically no spoilers before hand and just saw the trailer.

Had a lot of fun with the movie. I was expecting to like it based on reviews, and was delighted to enjoy it as much as I did. In another thread, Tank posted his order and I largely agree with it- the film was better than the PT (which I see as a dreadful TPM/AOTC, and a decent but flawed ROTS), and perhaps even slightly edges out ROTJ (which has always been an inconsistent film for me- has both my favorite scenes from the original trilogy, and my least favorite). Wouldn't put it ahead of ANH/ESB, but this was clearly the most polished effort since those films.

Some of my surprise "likes" were Rey and Finn. I'm not sure why but I was sorta expecting to dislike both characters. I was pleasantly surprised to come out loving both and wanting to see where their storylines go. Finn was not what I was expecting- sort of the unsure guy that comes into his own gradually over the film. I also really enjoyed Rey, who was the star of the film- I don't know where this came from, but I was completely expecting her character/plotline to be super lame and contrived girl power-y, but she was totally kickass. Kylo Ren I liked slightly less, but was a good character- it was cool to see someone in this vein, i.e., the weak villain who wishes he was badass, but kinda isn't. His Vader envy was hilarious. The scene where he slashes the computer consoles in anger was one of the best in the film.

A couple of weak points in the film (which I'm sure were mentioned, but I'm sure as sh-t not reading 34 pages): a couple of recycled plot points that I could've done without (e.g. yet another super-weapon with a conspicuous weak point, christ- facepalm); and Rey's inexplicable mastery of the force and saber battling. Yes, I'm sure this can be explained in future films, but I was thinking about this from the perspective of a viewer who hasn't seen any Star Wars films, and that person wondering WTF was going on when Rey talked the Stormtrooper into releasing her. Yeah it was a nice wink to the Star Wars fans, but I think a more natural introduction to the Force for Rey would've been a little more sophisticated.

But other than that, really enjoyed it. Couple other minor points:

- Great shot at the end with Rey extending the saber to Luke. I don't care if it was a little heavy handed, f-ck you I liked it.

- Snoke was awesome. Especially for a CGI hologram.. I was totally digging him. Maybe because he's the first Star Wars villain since the Emperor that I felt was truly sinister. His line at the end when he summoned Kylo Ren to complete his training, I was all like, awww yeah, here we go b-tches. Really looking forward to seeing more revealed about him in future episodes.

Had a lot of fun with the movie. I was expecting to like it based on reviews, and was delighted to enjoy it as much as I did. In another thread, Tank posted his order and I largely agree with it- the film was better than the PT (which I see as a dreadful TPM/AOTC, and a decent but flawed ROTS), and perhaps even slightly edges out ROTJ (which has always been an inconsistent film for me- has both my favorite scenes from the original trilogy, and my least favorite). Wouldn't put it ahead of ANH/ESB, but this was clearly the most polished effort since those films.

Well said + agree fully, though struggle with ROTS being "decent but flawed." Despite it having its moments, I like that film less and less as time goes on. TFA, however, is having the opposite effect on me. I don't think I'd quite rank it ahead of ROTJ, but it blows the prequils, ROTS included, out of the water. This new SW installment, though I'll agree it's flawed in some ways, succeeded where it needed to: restoring that mythical, magical feel that accompanied the OT. The closing scene, with Rey confronting Luke with Anakin's lightsaber was, IMO, absolutely iconic. No words, yet it truly said it all. One of the greatest moments in the entire saga to date. YMMV, of course.

I also really enjoyed Rey, who was the star of the film- I don't know where this came from, but I was completely expecting her character/plotline to be super lame and contrived girl power-y, but she was totally kickass. Kylo Ren I liked slightly less, but was a good character- it was cool to see someone in this vein, i.e., the weak villain who wishes he was badass, but kinda isn't. His Vader envy was hilarious. The scene where he slashes the computer consoles in anger was one of the best in the film.

The true threat to Rey is not Kylo Ren, but the demands of the fan base, given much more leverage by social media, and the lame girl-power, third wave feminist zeitgeist we are shackled to. Because Rey has so much more potential than this. She could be what they tried to shoehorn Leia into but never really should have been: the feminine yin to Luke's masculine yang, what Luke's sister (though Rey obviously can't be this, she'll be a daughter or niece to carry on the generational theme) was originally intended to be when ESB was written in the late 70s, and Lucas was most intent on this being a nine film saga, and Leia quite obviously NOT meant to be his sister. It's a fascinating story - The Secret History of Star Wars is worth the read. As it is, the cloners on Kamino could not match the reams of identical rubbish being churned out by that pile of vacuum tubes we call the internet, basically boiling Rey's character down into a role model for girls who refuses to be sexually objectified by a relationship with a man, and so on and so on. She's about so much more than this. Please internet, allow for some depth and nuance in her character development.

I didn't really care for/about the Starkiller attack run, and thought parts of it looked rather generic, too.

That's going to annoy me so much when I see it again. I really wish they hadn't tried to cram in a superweapon > destroy superweapon plot in to this and had just focused on trying to rescue Rey & Ben at the end with Poe & co. being involved (if they had to be involved) in a blockade busting or diversion role or something (maybe destroying the Finalizer if you want something big to blow up / crash in a spectacular way).

Starkiller Base is completely superfluous. It should have been a race with the map to Luke.

The more I see it, the more I'm polarized by it. The characters are great, the situations not so much.

So my question to you is what would you have done differently?

I would've had Kylo Ren's real name be Bail.

99% of the audience would have no idea who that was.

I've been off for the last two weeks and so today was the first day I went back to work since I saw TFA. So I just now had a chance to try this out. And I found only the fanboys in my office, the geeks like us, knew who the name Ben was referring to. Overall everyone else was just like, um, isn't it just the name his parents gave him? So I say Bail would've fallen under the same category of geekdom vs general audience awareness within the SW universe.

But the Star Wars geeks will all be like: "But Leia never even met Ben and Han spent the entire time he knew him deriding him as an old fossil."

It's not a make or break thing with me. But, yeah, naming him Ben was not only unimaginative, it was unimaginative in a way that doesn't even really fit with the character relationships.

Besides, there's no reason it needs to be a common name. Not like Qui-Gon, Anakin, Lando, Shmi, or half the other names of the series are anything but made up. The Big Bad's name is Snoke for crying out loud. If the only people who get that the name Bail has meaning are the geeks, then so be it.

Or just give him a name that starts with "L". Liam's popular these days :)

It just would've taken more dialogue rather than Han yelling "BAIL!" because that's a word that has real meaning. All of those other names had more dialogue to set them up and didn't have any other meaning. If you just yell bail, it sounds like you're telling someone to, well, bail.

This commentary is playing out just like real-life family commentary over names.

Han: I really think we should name him Chewie, after my best friend. At least his middle name. He's kind of always been there for me.

Leia: fuck that, I'm not naming our son after a walking carpet. Let's do something traditional, like Bail.

Han: Bail Solo? Worst name ever. I won't do it.

Leia: it has to be a traditional name. I'm royalty damnit.

Han: no Chewie, no Bail.

Leia: fine, be a jerk. What about Biggs?

Han: Biggs? You going to suggest Porkins next? Come on.

Leia: Well I like B names. Ben?

Han: I don't know, seems like Luke would want to name his kid that.

Leia: Luke's not having a kid, Han. Plus, I'm not talking about naming him obi-wa-whatever.

[3 weeks of bickering later]

Han: fine, whatever. I'm sick of this. Ben. Ok.

-------

Later, after son is born and named:

Luke [ANH whine]: but I wanted to name myyyy son Ben.

Chewie: ra rawr ra rop.

Lando: you know I helped save your ass, Han.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.